Keep 16inch wheels or get 18s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a fan of multiple sets. 18's for around town and general purpose with A/T's. 16's for serious work with a more aggressive tire to suit needs. Running two sets also lets you have a larger tire on the 16's and stay more moderate on the 18's helping with daily performance.

20161230_163919-L.jpg

What color is your rig? Thunder Cloud?

I finally made my choice after swapping back and forth for a few months.... and sold the 18 inch and tires so I am stick with the 16s. My truck just feels better with them on seems happier. :rainbow:

This might be a stupid question, but- would the 16 inch wheels with beefier tires (vs 18) be better for:

1. Trail?
2. Gas Mileage?
3. Ride/Comfort?
4. Suspension geometry stress?

or all of the above (or, none)?

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question, but- are the 16 inch wheels with beefier tires (vs 18) be better for:

1. Trail?
2. Gas Mileage?
3. Ride/Comfort?
4. Suspension geometry stress?

or all of the above (or, none)?

IMO,
1-trail- have more air between rim and rock 75% vs 70% height ratio.
2- MPG- probably less since higher profile may have less air pressure ,increasing rolling resistance.
3- ride/comfort- result from the 2 above.
4- suspension- no difference due to same weight , diameter and unsprung weight.

I've been happy with 18s, I don't have anything to benefit from having 16s like some people here do as I don't do hardcore wheeling.

Here she is with 275/70/18 ST Maxx's, decent balance of sidewalll and wheel.

20170319_171716.jpg

And stock-sized Nokian 275/70/16 snow tires...

20170219_103633.jpg

I just downsized from 18s to 16s and couldnt be happier. I think that more tire tends to look better and it is better when aired down.

I am debating the same right now. When I bought my 99 it had chrome stock 16's, I bought some 03+ 18'' and had them powder coated black. Love the look, But while doing some extreme rock crawling, I scratch the s*** out of my rims, but I would probably still be doing the same with 16's, right? Like a dummy I sold my 4 chrome stocks for $100 :bang:. I wish I would have kept them and put some used 35's on there just for wheeling.

personally, I like the extra sidewall for airing down on the 16's, and swapped those onto my 2004, running 295/75/16's. But if you're not off-road much, go for what you like! The 18" combo of wheel and tire can be heavier, if that matters to you. The OEM 16" alloys are about the lightest tire/wheel combo you can get for equal size/width tires. But outside of sidewall height, it's pretty much up to your personal taste, budget and tolerance.
re_gudarian:
Will you please post photos of your 2004 with the 16" wheels and custom tire size?
I have a '99 (likely selling) with 16" OEM rims and a 2004 with 18" OEM rims - I'm considering swapping the 16"s onto my 2004 for reasons of appearance and offroad flexibility. I'd really appreciate seeing your setup. It would help a LOT!

I finally made my choice after swapping back and forth for a few months.... and sold the 18 inch and tires so I am stick with the 16s. My truck just feels better with them on seems happier. :rainbow:
I have to agree - driving 16s vs 18s

I'm pretty darn happy with my 275/70/18 KO2s. Was debating the 16 route, but came across a ridiculous deal on 5 tundra 18s that couldn't be passed up. I like the "look" of the 18s and find that, when aired down to 20 psi, they are fantastic for offroad traction. I'm sure that a 16" with similar overall diameter would provide even more grip (kind of like the mountain bike world where a 27.5 can have the same overall diameter of a 29 while providing more traction at lower pressures). In the end, I offroad about 6 weeks out of the year (TX has NO BLM or public roamable lands). If this were a dedicated offroad rig vs daily driver with some offroading, I'd likely be on 16s with a 33" diameter vs the 18s at 33".

re_gudarian:
Will you please post photos of your 2004 with the 16" wheels and custom tire size?
I have a '99 (likely selling) with 16" OEM rims and a 2004 with 18" OEM rims - I'm considering swapping the 16"s onto my 2004 for reasons of appearance and offroad flexibility. I'd really appreciate seeing your setup. It would help a LOT!

Wheeler Offroad "Superbumps" installed.

+1 for 18s

21414646_792451634268696_5055519566821410105_o.jpg

I still love my stock 16s
joshualand1sm_zps0e4df28d.jpg

Offroad%20class_zpsdy74jrrc.jpg

Toyota OEM wheels are actually VERY high quality alloys... I'd stay oem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom