Kate (78 FJ40) meets 12HT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Throttle cable exit.
IMG_0060.JPG

Everything in its place as it was except for the york compressor. I was hoping to use the stock AC bracket as a base for the york mount, but I will have to make one from scratch to get enough clearance for the air box.
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG

This really looks great Chris! Any chance of being able to come by and take a look at it in person? I know you are busy so just let me know!

Clint

you are making miracles with the 40 engine bay space .. why not just throw both batts to the back of the cabin .. ?

I guess its about trade-offs? Moving those batteries into the cabin would not have solved any problems for me and it would have created more work with wiring and taken up space somewhere else. This 40 already has a snorkel on the LH side so an air cleaner on the RH side would not be ideal. Locating the air cleaner on the RH side would be my only real reason to locate the batteries somewhere else.

any time you take on the challenge of such a build as this there will be trade offs, frustration, compromises and joy in seeing the final product roll down the road.
some people you will be able to make happy, some people you won't. in the end, if you put all your energy into the build then YOU can have pride in what you have accomplished.
i look at this build and i can sense the pride you are taking.

keep up the good work.

cheers

I guess its about trade-offs? .

longer cables .. ?

But sorry .. was only a suggestion to make more free room on your engine bay .. it help in my case when you need to perform a repair.

picked up the alternator from the shop today. I need to clean up the vac pump a little to match. The alternator was cleaned up (a lot) but only needed a basic rebuild with bearings, brushes, and a quick resurface.
IMG_0067.JPG

Minor update.

Waiting on driveshafts now. Picked up a new Radiator this week and had the trans cover re-coated. When preparing to reinstall the fuel tank I found that it had a hole in it. The tank looked like new on the top but the bottom had some surface rust that didnt look so great. When I cleaned it off there was a hole in the tank, so now there is a new tank on the way too...

Pics of the york mount. This first attempt is just a 1/4 plate with 8 holes in it. It will work fine, but does not leave much room between the compressor and the fender for the air cleaner.
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to the world of...
"damn, that is tight!"
i am enjoying this thread, keep up the good work bud

back with more updates. Holidays and waiting for parts...

Had a local shop make up some driveshafts. This cruiser is SOA and had stock 78 40 driveshafts (modified for length). For the new shafts we started out with late 60 series front shafts. The 60 fronts have a longer spline and since they are on the front used shafts/splines are usually in good shape. Went with a double joint on the rear due to angles and length.

Had to double drill the rear output on he tcase as the double joint pattern is different than the late tcase with the H55.

The shafts are clear coated and he did a real nice job. The dust shields have been sleeved to make them more resistant to rock rash.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

Working on an old cruiser is likely to require replacement of some non-related items.

When cleaning up the tank I found it was perforated. It looked really good on the top but not so great underneath.
I also had to replace the ignition switch since the starter would kick every time you crossed the accessory position.

The new tank got a few coats of paint before install. Tank and ig switch came from Mr T.
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom