Jwood's 1966 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

So I started a blog following my 1966 FJ40 build. Would love your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

John

UPDATE! 5-20-13 Going to start posting all my pictures directly to this thread, instead of the having a different blogspot. Hopefully some of this can be used for reference for other cruiser heads.

Last edited:
Looking good so far, what is the plan for the build?

Trying to keep her as stock as possible. F135 to eventually getting a soft top.
Obviously I have already deviated a bit since i couldn't get a hold of some factory parts, I/E new Shackles. But yeah... As for colors I am looking at a later year color, Dune Beige, the 66 colors aren't really doing it for me. Thats the eventual plan, I need to kick it into gear as I am trying to finish it by May...Seems a little ambitious but we will see

Here She Is As I received her from New Mexico!

1.jpg

CIMG1289.jpg

CIMG1301.jpg

CIMG1311.jpg

Last edited:
looks good. That is going to a be a real nice ride when you are done. My suggestions for an early truck:

I have a 67. The brakes are easilly updated to standard drums at the least, disks preferred.

The pre 68 uses a banjo fitting end and odd size brake fittings. I have broken banjos that looked ok from the outside, and using a single res. system you have no brakes. Well, until you pinch off a line, fill it, bleed it, you get the idea.

Go with later stuff, 4 wheel power disks are best, but drums will work fine if you want sort of stock. If you are replacing the wheel cylinders and lines, just get the later stuff, and a dual circuit master.

i second the "keep as stock looking as possible"

great start...a one time oem soft top rig? or was the taigate added later?

what are you going to be using the rig for? DD? weekend wheeler?

Like Rabid said update the brakes ...if itsto be a dd you may want to go 4wheel disk..just liek Rabid said :)

Hey, what kind of carb is that? I just bought a stock carb, and it doesn't look anything like it :)

Looking great so far. I'd love to be able to tear down mine, but, not the time right now!

Common upgrades for our older Fj's are disc brakes (need new front axle from post 68 i believe?), 4-spd, power steering, etc...

Pulled the Leaf Springs, Wire Wheeled Them, Hit them with Rust Bullet, and lastly some flat black!

P1010122.jpg

P1010142.jpg

P1010125.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Last edited:
Rear Axle Rebuild

Replaced the seals and bearings, closed her up and gave her some paint!

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

wow, 4 year fast forward...

Nice work tho... Is it all done now? :)

Haha Yeah Totally Fast Forward! Im not done yet, starting the body work in two weeks and then hopefully have her finished in the next 6 months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom