Just shoved some 33s under my stock 60...and lovin' it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a friend who basically gave me a set of 33 x 9.50 BFG KOs that have less than 2,000 miles on them. I squeezed them on yesterday, and they look AWESOME and don't seem to rub over any of the terrain I have crossed as of yet. Thanks to Landpimp, I learned that they would fit.

I have a few of questions on this though. I am sure that some of you have run 33s on stock rigs before......have you noticed any change in fuel economy? How about the difference in speed b/w what your speedo reads versus actual speed? I just threw the GPS in my 60 and I am going to test this out tomorrow. I am kind of thinking out loud, but this is why I love this forum. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Laters,

Carson

I ran 33x12.50S for a long time with the stock 3.70 gears with no problems. It seemed to do slightly better milage wise on the highway, but not so good in town. Like the engine had to work a little harder to get going. My spedo was off, IIRC it was marking SLOWER then what I was going. Like When it was at 65 I was really doing 70something.

I was also wondering about that. I am assuming that I can pick up a few MPH at the same RPM as before since they are bigger tires? I have had a few Millers tonight, so maybe I am a little off but it seems to make sense.

Is there any additional wear on the power steering because of these 33s? I would think not, since I understand that 33s were an option in some remote areas overseas, but that is something else I am curious about.

Dammit. Again:
FJ60side.jpg

Stock tires were 28" - 29", so 29"x 1.14 = 33.06"

That should mean that 50mph + 14% = 57mph

Of course true tire diameter doesn't usually match what they are stamped, but the 14% formula is pretty close with my new 33"s.

cbmontgo said:
Is there any additional wear on the power steering because of these 33s? I would think not, since I understand that 33s were an option in some remote areas overseas, but that is something else I am curious about.

Whether or not they were an option in some areas ( I doubt it) really makes no difference. If you increase the unsprung weight (wheels and tires) you're making the power steering work harder. Fortunately, Landcruisers are way overbuilt :)

I find the 14% figure to be about right. I just drove a long way down the highway and compared my tripometer to the mile markers. I like my 33X12.5 doughnuts as well!!!

I don't understand how you guys can stand that figure to be off by so much. When I get bigger tires, I'm going to get a speedo corrector @ speedoshop.com. I calculate my mileage by my odometer, so I can't stand to have it off.

:beer:

I can tell you this though, those 33s will suck a lot of the low end down in some offroading situations. There is an area I hunt with steep hills, but nothing difficult. All 4H roads. But with the 33s? I had to lock up in 4L to do them :( Also, on another hunting road I frequent, coming down with a loaded 60 was riding the brakes all the way, the 33s and 3.70s were a TERRIBLE combination to hold it back. So be aware there will be some differences..

Thats why I just dropped in 4.56s and bought a SM465 adapter :D

Yes, very good point about the 4.56s. I am going on a couple of wheeling trip in the next 6 weeks, so I am going to test it out a good bit and see how she fares.

What about this calibrator? How hard is that to install?

not a 33, but close to it in the metric 16 size, shown in lot of factory lit for other markets

Some had 31x10.5's on a 15x7

and I just saw mention of some 62's(1's) coming with 4.56's and the A440F I think

I have had no ill issues with 33x9.5's on any of my stock cruisers.....PS working harder......maybe but not by much, doubt it makes any difference in life of the unit

89GASHOG said:
Whether or not they were an option in some areas ( I doubt it) really makes no difference. If you increase the unsprung weight (wheels and tires) you're making the power steering work harder. Fortunately, Landcruisers are way overbuilt :)

from what I"ve gathered, the powersteering cares a lot more about the width than the height of the tire- so a 33x9.50 is probably not much more work than a 31x10.50, which are very common.

I drive a 55, but relate to the 60's more than 40's... Got a set of 33x9.5s this spring, and love em! Except on hills. Can you say DOG? Especially when loaded down. Oh, well, I knew I didn't buy a race car... The overdrive (based on GPS) of the 33's vs. stock (29?) is 16(.666...)%. So when I'm going 60mph on my speedo, I'm really going (60 x 1.16 = 69.6mph). I round up to eyeball things, using 15% in my head (I get 60 + 6 + 3 = 69), pretty close. I got a fairly reliable increase in mileage of a couple of MPG in the deal (depending on my gas pedal manners...), and lots better highway driveability in terms of noise, etc. Mind you, I have 4:10 gears, so I was pretty much screaming at highway speeds. Offroad, not much detriment, since my gearing is kind of low to start with. Once I got it through my head that I won't be climbing hills at 65MPH I became very happy with the arrangement. I may not get there quickly, but I can get anywhere I want to go, eventually. :cheers:

nial

you are most likely about 10% off on your odometer readings and about 15% off on your speedometer readings with the 33's vs. stock diameter. you will be traveling faster/farther than your gauges read.

learned of this when I had a speedo correction gear installed on our '60 with 33x10.5's BFG AT/KO's

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

dogboy2 said:
learned of this when I had a speedo correction gear installed on our '60 with 33x10.5's BFG AT/KO's

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

how difficult to get the speedo correction installed? I don't mind having mine off, but would definately prefer to have it accurate... self install or by shop? how much?

anyone else corrected it, or just know 60=70?

Carson welcome to the 33 club. You'll never go to a smaller tire ever again! Now let's lift that sweet rig of yours!!!

Looks like mine I have a silver 87 with 33 x 9.50 and tinted windows.

On a side not I just hit 256,000 miles today.

Looks good

Chris
87 FJ60
75 VJ40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom