Just drove an LX600 F-sport (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good!

One thing that instantly stands out is the raised lip at the bottom of the rear hatch (plus the rounded corners). Going to make installing a set of drawers very difficult, and the drawers will have to sacrifice a lot of space.

Is that a button on the back of the centre arm rest, above the vents? Inquiring minds want to know what it does!
Yep. The center console opens sideways (both ways, at different times, of course). There are two buttons, one in each side, that opens it. There is a third button within easy reach of the 2nd row passenger on the rear of the center arm rear that also opens it.

That's a great review. Have to say, the more reviews I read and watch, the more I think that if I were in the market for a new~ish LX right now, I'd be buying a late-year, lowest-mileage-I-could-find LX570. More practical layout (mostly), proven platform, little odds and ends that I prefer over what I'm seeing in the LX600.

That's a great review. Have to say, the more reviews I read and watch, the more I think that if I were in the market for a new~ish LX right now, I'd be buying a late-year, lowest-mileage-I-could-find LX570. More practical layout (mostly), proven platform, little odds and ends that I prefer over what I'm seeing in the LX600.
Agree with you, except for the driving experience. People are not picking the new LX a good bit, but the improvement over the older version is drastic.

Lx570 is certainly a proven platform, but the improved ride, interior quality (noise level is amazing), fuel efficiency, comfort, and infotainment system improvement of the LX600 bumped me to it.

That, and a 10k miles 2021 LX570 currently goes for about $95-100k, and I walked out with this one for $89,400.

Agree with you, except for the driving experience. People are not picking the new LX a good bit, but the improvement over the older version is drastic.

Lx570 is certainly a proven platform, but the improved ride, interior quality (noise level is amazing), fuel efficiency, comfort, and infotainment system improvement of the LX600 bumped me to it.

That, and a 10k miles 2021 LX570 currently goes for about $95-100k, and I walked out with this one for $89,400.
You made the right move. I sold my 2018 for $85K and am a long ways down on the list for one.

Definitely fair points, and ones worth considering. I was speaking purely from my point of view and anticipated needs, which will likely vary for other people.

For example, while we don't currently have kids, I'm thinking that will change in the next few years, so second row room, seat adjustability, ease of access, and ability to install car seats will be important (for us); these are all factors that the reviewers in the above video called out as being worse in the LX600 vs the LX570.

I found it interesting that the reviewers suggested the LX600 has significantly better fuel economy than the LX570. They said they usually see around 13MPG on the LX570, and around 17MPG on the LX600. Interestingly enough, I'm right around 17MPG on my LX570 (mostly in city driving with tons of hills), and have seen as much as 19MPG on flats/highways. In the real world the difference between the two platforms will likely not be huge, and its benefits will be lessened by the smaller gas tank in the LX600. Now if the LX600 came with a larger tank that would allow for more driving between fuel ups, that would have been a big win IMO.

Improved ride and noise levels are subjective, but I'll agree that newer vehicles tend to be better in both areas than previous generations.

My office-chair impression is that the LX600 would be a better vehicle for those with either no kids or older kids, and who stay primarily on pavement, and the LX570 would be better for those that spend more time off pavement, and have younger families. I'd definitely be interested in taking the LX600 for a test drive, though.

I'm curious - have you recently driven a late-year LX570 reasonably back-to-back with the LX600? I only ask because that would put much more emphasis on the improvements in driving experience, interior quality and noise levels. I've got a 2014 LX570, and I suspect (hope?) that I would similarly notice a large improvement in the LX600, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be between a near-new, low-mileage LX570 and LX600.

Definitely fair points, and ones worth considering. I was speaking purely from my point of view and anticipated needs, which will likely vary for other people.

For example, while we don't currently have kids, I'm thinking that will change in the next few years, so second row room, seat adjustability, ease of access, and ability to install car seats will be important (for us); these are all factors that the reviewers in the above video called out as being worse in the LX600 vs the LX570.

I found it interesting that the reviewers suggested the LX600 has significantly better fuel economy than the LX570. They said they usually see around 13MPG on the LX570, and around 17MPG on the LX600. Interestingly enough, I'm right around 17MPG on my LX570 (mostly in city driving with tons of hills), and have seen as much as 19MPG on flats/highways. In the real world the difference between the two platforms will likely not be huge, and its benefits will be lessened by the smaller gas tank in the LX600. Now if the LX600 came with a larger tank that would allow for more driving between fuel ups, that would have been a big win IMO.

Improved ride and noise levels are subjective, but I'll agree that newer vehicles tend to be better in both areas than previous generations.

My office-chair impression is that the LX600 would be a better vehicle for those with either no kids or older kids, and who stay primarily on pavement, and the LX570 would be better for those that spend more time off pavement, and have younger families. I'd definitely be interested in taking the LX600 for a test drive, though.

I'm curious - have you recently driven a late-year LX570 reasonably back-to-back with the LX600? I only ask because that would put much more emphasis on the improvements in driving experience, interior quality and noise levels. I've got a 2014 LX570, and I suspect (hope?) that I would similarly notice a large improvement in the LX600, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be between a near-new, low-mileage LX570 and LX600.
You and I are in very similar situations in life (my kids are 6, 5, and 3), and I off-road all the time. However, I have a dedicated off road vehicle (2020 Tacoma), and my wife drives a 2019 GX that is on its way to being an overlanding rig.

Long term plan:
1) Dual vehicle adventures currently, boys in the taco, girls in the GX, roof top tents for both
2) lx600 for my daily driver
3) 10 years from now, when my kids are driving, the boys will the truck, girl will get the GX, and I'll trick out the LX600 for overlanding for me and my wife. She'll probably be having fun in some electric or nuclear powered hovercraft by 2035 :).

Regarding the LX570, I have a confession: I'm a total car junkie. I test drive vehicles all the time, my dad owns a dealership, and so I've had the privilege of frequent passes with vehicles. I'm also a Toyota/lexus fan, with occasional forays into the jeep world, usually quickly back into Toyota/lexus after the frequent trips to the jeep dealer get old. So yes, I've driven a newer LX570 within the last 18 months.

And I get 22 mpg highway, 16 in town on the LX600. I drive like a 16 year old in a corvette, and typically get worse gas mileage than everyone else.

I have a 7 year old, we offroad a good bit. Planning to head to CO for our 3rd year in a row, but next weekend I'm heading to Lone Star Toyota Jamoboree, been there last 5 or 6 years and always a good time.

Any of you on here heading that way?

Could any new owners (or test drivers) comment on the max cargo volume of the lx600 as compared to the outgoing lx570? My limited research shows that max cargo volume decreased from 83cu.ft. (w/ rear seat area) for the lx570 versus 71cu.ft. (w/ rear seat area) for the lx600 (two row version). I'm unsure if this reduction is a material difference in the real world, but would like to know people's thoughts, if any.

Lack of rear jump seats folding sideways opens up the space a good bit. But if you take out the LX570's rear jump seats, it is larger than the LX600.

I’ve a 21 LX570 and had an opportunity to pick up the lx600 but passed. To me 1) it didn’t look/feel step above, actually I was underwhelmed by it 2) it’s more round vs boxy 3) no split tailgate 4) still prefer v8. Eventually I’ll pick one up in the future when my 21 start to show its age… and that would be a while

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I only ask because you are in Canada and I use to live in the UK. Are you converting liters to US gallons or Imperial gallons when calculating MPG?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I only ask because you are in Canada and I use to live in the UK. Are you converting liters to US gallons or Imperial gallons when calculating MPG?
I track/measure economy in L/100km, but convert to US gallons when posting online.

1400 mile perspective:

Still a really pleasant vehicle to live with. Good gas mileage, quiet ride, rockets me to the hospital for an emergency, quiet ride, hauls the family and gear no problem, did I say quiet ride?

Kinks that need working out for the next year's model, hopefully possible fixes for this year:
-automatic headlight *button* on the end of the turn signal stalk is loose and rattles a bit when you press it. Not a nice touch like the rest of the cabin's buttons. Feels like something off a Hyundai or Ford.
-power seat/steering wheel automatic entrance/exit movements are unpredictable in occurance. Despite fiddling with the settings (seat and steering wheel, steering wheel tilt only, etc.), there are problems. When turning off and exiting, steering wheel and seat both tilt/move back to ease exit. But they don't always go back when I turn on the vehicle, requiring me to move the seat forward, which then initiates the steering wheel to tilt and telescope back to my saved position. I'm sure there's a safety something going on, but the programming for when it works automatically and when I have to do it is very annoying. Can't figure out the circumstances that make it work, only about half the time it's fine.
-transmission when in eco or normal occasionally thunks into gear in the very specific situation when I'm slowing at a turn, and then without stopping all the way start going again, it acts like it's trying to head towards engine automatically turning off, then gets a little confused and then jumps ahead to try and catch up which makes it bang into gear. Feathering the peddle just a bit and factoring in for the hesitancy from that situation gets rid of it, or putting it in sport mode. All other scenarios the engine/transition work together idyllically, always knows what gear to be in for passing downshifts, climbing hills, or meandering quietly through the countryside, 10-110mph.

Thanks for the excellent follow up after having been able to offer sound feedback. Keep it coming and don’t short us on exceptional items as well.

Exceptional things:
-Acceleration. This vehicle is fast and smooth, and I've never driven something that so disguises the speed. On a "leisurely" drive to work a few weeks ago, I looked down and was surprised to see "95mph." 65 feels like I'm poking down the road.

-comfort: seats are beyond comfortable, with just the right amount of cushion and firmness, no odd seems at your ischial tuberosities (pointy part of your butt when sitting down).

-back up camera: best I've had. very clear, wide range of view, and the digitally combined top down view is excellent when backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom