Just bought my first cruiser - 1985 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

Last week I posted that I was looking at a 1985 fj60 and needed some advise as a nervous first time buyer. Thanks to the confidence inspired by this awesome community (who not only gave feedback on the post but instantly responded to my additional pictures) I came away with my first cruiser! Thank you all again! I ended up getting her for $5250 and couldn't be happier.

This weekend I started taking care of some of the simple cosmetic things. Cleaning the interior made a big difference. And fortunately the seats that the seller said were in terrible shape/were covered the ten years he had it turned out to look pretty good! This week the real fun begins, getting the brakes fixed and figuring out what needs attention under the hood. I plan to start learning how to do some of the work myself so I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Everyone - meet Sheila

IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3112.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG

Looks like a bargain! and beautiful blue to boot! congratulations on the find.

Is sheila the truck or the human in the pic?

Nice find. Prepare yourself for random strangers to approach you to talk about it.

Looks like a bargain! and beautiful blue to boot! congratulations on the find.

Is sheila the truck or the human in the pic?
Thanks!!

Sheila is the truck.

The name came out of a long term running joke with my best friend. Sheila was the tank in the voiced over Halo series "Red vs. Blue" who's AI "is friendly and cheerful but, being a tank, has a habit of blowing people up."

Nice buy.

Now change ALL the fluids, along with doing the brakes.

FSM in pdf form in my sig line.

Welcome to the monkey house...be prepared for total strangers to start conversations with you about your Cruiser.

Happy to hear there's another one out here! Do you have a mechanic in the area you'd recommend?
I recommend the human in the pic and the one running the camera. They're pretty easy to wrench on and lots of help on here. Welcome! :beer:

Nice ride!!

Brake parts if you cannot get them local
Rock Auto (ordered my rear parts from there and everything worked perfectly)
If you prefer to keep everything Toyota then @beno or any of the vendors on here.

As other said change the fluids.

Outside of that start either at the bottom or the top and work your way though the cruiser, While you do that enjoy the hell out of it. They are awesome, fun and get lots to stares.

Happy to hear there's another one out here! Do you have a mechanic in the area you'd recommend?
As you probably have figured out, Idaho Falls is not a Land Cruiser Mecca. We are truly in the desert in that regard. I do most of my own wrenching because as someone posted they aren't that difficult to work on and the support and expertise on MUD is invaluable. As for OEM parts I would recommend those vendors/suppliers found and recommended on MUD. The dealership in Idaho Falls won't have what you need and are pretty reluctant to order anything unless it's for a newer vehicle. Shoot me a PM. I'd love to take a
close up look at your rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom