Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looking at the rusty floor you have there reminds me how rusted my body mounts were ! You may want to check out the mounts under the drivers seat and passengers seat ! The metal running vertical from the body should be 1/8 if I remember correctly, anyone else chime in ! Inside the box is where a lot of mud and such gets stuck and just rusts and is where your body mount bolt is located.
Keep up the good work !
Cheers
Mine were mostly gone, I had just enough left to get an idea of the shape to reproduce them.

If you look at the tub from the rear there is the rear Sil made from 2 parts and most likely gone. Kevin makes some realy nice ones. There are 2 body mounts connecting the Sil to the frame.
Then you have the floor, the rear and the sides, where it connects to the wheel wells, are likely Swiss cheese. Under the floor there are 2 cross beams with reinforcements on each side. Your beams look shot and the reinforcements aro likely done too as the are the first ones to go. On the ends of these beams there are body mounts, a total of 4. The front of the foor has some small parts on the side in front of the wheel well that are sensitive to rust and then you will have a bigger cross beam with the big body mount locations. They take all debris from the rear wheels and are hollow so they collect mud inside. The cross beam is above the tank so not so much in Harms way. Mine was intact. In front of the main crash beam are the front Floors which were toast on mine. At the point where the front Floor becomes the fire wall the front body mounts are located. They get the debris from the front wheels and are hollow, mine were 60% gone. In the foot wells the inner rockers, where they connect to the floor, are most likely gone too.
The outside sheet metal is all suspect to damage but that is the visible part.

Have fun fixing, it does keep you busy for a while.

You must be under pretty serious pressure to get that roof buttoned up before the rain comes back. I think it's suppose to stay for a while too. Like till August.
Gotta love Vancouver!
I finished that section today... it’s supposed to rain tonight and some in the morn. I’ll start pulling tiles after it stops and pound it to get the next section done before i lose light.

If you look at the tub from the rear there is the rear Sil made from 2 parts and most likely gone. Kevin makes some realy nice ones. There are 2 body mounts connecting the Sil to the frame.
Then you have the floor, the rear and the sides, where it connects to the wheel wells, are likely Swiss cheese. Under the floor there are 2 cross beams with reinforcements on each side. Your beams look shot and the reinforcements aro likely done too as the are the first ones to go. On the ends of these beams there are body mounts, a total of 4. The front of the foor has some small parts on the side in front of the wheel well that are sensitive to rust and then you will have a bigger cross beam with the big body mount locations. They take all debris from the rear wheels and are hollow so they collect mud inside. The cross beam is above the tank so not so much in Harms way. Mine was intact. In front of the main crash beam are the front Floors which were toast on mine. At the point where the front Floor becomes the fire wall the front body mounts are located. They get the debris from the front wheels and are hollow, mine were 60% gone. In the foot wells the inner rockers, where they connect to the floor, are most likely gone too.
The outside sheet metal is all suspect to damage but that is the visible part.

Have fun fixing, it does keep you busy for a while.
Right... right... and right.
Pretty much everything you just listed and called was on point. I will be getting EVERYTHING that I can from Kevin. The rest I will source out other places. It will be quite the adventure.

That's an interesting name change you have had there lol have to love owning a BJ, it is like when I get my thing out and go cruising and people comment on my nice thing thing this and thing that it can't help but make you laugh, arrrr the fun of have a Thing and a BJ :)

IMG_7589.JPG

Hey YoYoHo are you a member of any Thing club? There’s a pretty active one here in Boise (not me, but I know several of the members).

That's an interesting name change you have had there lol have to love owning a BJ, it is like when I get my thing out and go cruising and people comment on my nice thing thing this and thing that it can't help but make you laugh, arrrr the fun of have a Thing and a BJ :)

IMG_7589.JPG
If by “interesting” you mean... cool girl that owns a couple of BJ’s and even tho she thinks FJ’s are cool, wants to differentiate between the two, then yes I agree.
Plus it’s short and easy to type. Lol
Cool thing

Hey YoYoHo are you a member of any Thing club? There’s a pretty active one here in Boise (not me, but I know several of the members).

See now some dude I have never met want me to be a member of a Thing Club which is active .. it never stops :)

Answer is No I am not in any Thing Clubs although I have several other things in my area that I some times go out cruising with. My thing is currently off the road as it is having an Affair with a Subaru Outback and I expect their offspring to be a Thing which is Subaru Powered, 5 Speed Drive Disc Brake Stopped Thing :)

Well you did show us your Thing first :censor:

75C5C143-B513-4D85-9715-B2E6D80A1C19.jpeg
F021201A-53FC-4F38-AA19-C9F93143C1F6.jpeg
I’m going to pick it up tomorrow... t
I wasn’t going to include this bit of info as I feel like it’s a total “noobie” move... but I also bought another one. Exact same, ‘81 Bj42... but it’s been partially restored with a stainless steel tub. I put the deposit on the red one and then came across this one. I couldn’t pass it up. I got a screaming deal on it.

I know it was excessive but I rent to do everything this way. View attachment 1859321View attachment 1859322View attachment 1859323View attachment 1859324View attachment 1859325

I also bought two within a month -last year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And apparently won the lotto!!!!

That’s awesome! Is that what they looked like when you bought them?

Yep. The green one came from KY, restored -I have videos- then to NYC where it sat in a garage for 2 years- then to me.

The HJ45 was one hour away at a small dealer. Great deal- though it is RHD.

Yh
Yep. The green one came from KY, restored -I have videos- then to NYC where it sat in a garage for 2 years- then to me.

The HJ45 was one hour away at a small dealer. Great deal- though it is RHD.
I’m a certified nubie... what’s an RHD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom