Odometer just spins in the .10 mile - never increases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
Sometimes, it seems, the old factory grease gets old and non-greasy. More often than not a simple disassembly, very gentle cleaning and a more modren lubricant will restore the odo to as good as new. There are even some threads on just that somewhere here on 'Mud.

Thanks @devo

@cvan1971man this is a pretty common problem. The previous posts are right. At some point the odometer lubricant turns to glue. The fix is to remove the odometer remove the wheels and get everything cleaned up.

There are several of videos on how to fix this or if you don't want to mess with it, send me a pm and I can help you get things going.

Jack.

Mine was gummed up to the point that the long white plastic gear was totally chewed up by the mating metal gears - it was the weak link and there was no fixing or replacing it. Yep, even tried modeling and printing a new one with no luck. So I set it to all 00,000's and reinstalled. Now I kinda like it that way!

Mine was doing this, only the 10ths were rolling.
Took everything apart and took advantage of the time to refurbish everything. When I put it all back together, with all the numbers lined up I was very pleased with myself.
It works great but for some reason the first wheel is between two numbers. Still rolls, but is a couple teeth off I guess.

Oh well. Not taking it all apart just because of that.

One other thing to note is if you have an older screw in speedometer/odometer, don't use anything on the wheels except some water and maybe some soft soap.

Any kind of solvent or even Windex will take all the letters right off the wheels. I made this mistake a few times.

Mine was gummed up to the point that the long white plastic gear was totally chewed up by the mating metal gears - it was the weak link and there was no fixing or replacing it. Yep, even tried modeling and printing a new one with no luck. So I set it to all 00,000's and reinstalled. Now I kinda like it that way!
Or just move that wheel to the other end where it doesn't have to turn anything else...

chrome_screenshot_Jan 10, 2024 10_39_32 AM PST.png

One other thing to note is if you have an older screw in speedometer/odometer, don't use anything on the wheels except some water and maybe some soft soap.

Any kind of solvent or even Windex will take all the letters right off the wheels. I made this mistake a few times.
Mine is from a 4/80 and I used rubbing alcohol with no ill effect to remove the old grease and generally clean things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom