Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats on your truck Jessi. I just picked up a bj40 myself I'l be restoring over the next year. I live just north east of you in Aldergrove. If you need any advice on your engine or need help sourcing parts let me know. It helps to know someone on this side of the border.
Cheers
Greg
Hey! I’m in Aldergrove often. I just replaced a roof out there. I work all of Metro Vancouver, I have a gutter company called AquaSeal Hidden Gutters.
I’m literally about 150ft from the border on the other side of Zero Ave. by the truck crossing. I have a microblading studio here in Blaine that consumed most of my time until I bought these BJ’s, now I eat sleep and breath them. I “accidentally” bought 2 within a month. One (the green machine) was from the owner of the Abbotsford Heat. Lol It’s now my daily driver. There is not really any rust at all on it and is in perfect running condition. The red one needs work so I’ll at least have one on the road after I make the red one inoperable. Have my cake and eat it too.
Thanks for the offer! It’ll definitely be appreciated. I’m learning as I go and loving every minitue or it!

I feel your pain, the same crap happened to me, only the bondo king owned mine before me.
Bondo king! That’s funny!
Had it not been so dang cold and wet and in the snow the day I bought it I would have crawled under it and checked it out much better. But honestly... I would have bought it anyway so I can’t complain. :)

That's cool. Well these are pretty straight forward simple vehicles but are very different from modern ones. If you take it to the average mechanic they might scratch their head and imediately start googling "how to work on a 3B". If you can get a mechanical maintenance history from the previous owners it sure helps. Especially anything to do with the cylinder head.
g

Congrats on your truck Jessi. I just picked up a bj40 myself I'l be restoring over the next year. I live just north east of you in Aldergrove. If you need any advice on your engine or need help sourcing parts let me know. It helps to know someone on this side of the border.
Cheers
Greg
Where did you get your Bj? Pics? What year is it?? 3 bj’s all in the same area scrounging for parts might get competitive lol.

That's cool. Well these are pretty straight forward simple vehicles but are very different from modern ones. If you take it to the average mechanic they might scratch their head and imediately start googling "how to work on a 3B". If you can get a mechanical maintenance history from the previous owners it sure helps. Especially anything to do with the cylinder head.
g
Noted... I go between Excel auto in Langley and a guy on the island that works on all my diesels but those are newer work trucks sprinter van, cab over... Do you have anyone that you plan on using?

Well I'm just looking for hard top sides but I think I can fix mine, it just comes down to fab time. I just picked up a tub and fenders from a fella in Bellingham but it too needs work, just not as much as the tub on my truck. I've always worked on my own engines. It's a hobby, plus I'm too cheap to pay a mechanic to do stuff I can usually do or learn to do myself. These engines are designed to be worked on with simple tools by simple folks in a jungle somewhere. All I'm missing is the jungle. If your looking for parts let me know and I'll keep my eye out. Crawlin cruiser has a lot if engine and mechanical parts in the interior of bc. Shipping across the border gets expensive though. If you ever want you can ship it here and pick it up if you don't have anyone else in the valley.

was the tub you just bought a black 66 tub?

im south of you guys in the other vancouver and i was hoping to make it up north to buy one off craigslist myself.

Last edited:
If im connecting the dots correctly its most likely the same person! It appears to just be a separate listing for the dash/ tub. I keep thinking about picking up that top but id really rather have bigger windows and ambi doors :coffee:

did you happen to catch if the seller was a mud member? he has Quite a few parts!

If im connecting the dots correctly its most likely the same person! It appears to just be a separate listing for the dash/ tub. I keep thinking about picking up that top but id really rather have bigger windows and ambi doors :coffee:

did you happen to catch if the seller was a mud member? he has Quite a few parts!
I don’t believe he is a member. I’ve been talking to him. He never mentioned it when I asked him if he knew where I could find the parts i was looking for, he just said he didn’t know.

ya i think the tub that you would need is specific to 79 and 80 but i could be wrong. Much smarter people than myself on here. But from what i understand the major difference is the fuel tank location being under the floor instead of in the cab. So most likely seat brackets transmission tunnel and things like that will be majorly different. I imagine there are also some different firewall openings on the newer tubs.

Dont be discouraged. from what i see its fixable. some places offer realy nice floor patch pans. Ruff stuff specialties also has a rear frame box kit that would replace that rear cross-member and strengthen up the entire rear section.

If you want to know how the tub is made and what you can expect from fixing the rust just let me know and I can post some pictures of my ‘81 which is broken down for rust repair.

04C53945-8747-40E3-90F6-C394FCE0DAFA.jpeg
364EA566-D46A-452C-8712-307C5CE08EE4.jpeg

82D4F196-B469-40AC-921D-79DA02D4C923.jpeg
Just changed my fuel filter, bled the line and lost prime. When I primed it diesel started coming out of the side the primer. I decided to pull the primer so I can replace it tomorrow... just three little nuts, right? Only problem is, they are practically inside the engine. It took like 30 mins to get the little buggers off! I don’t know if anybody has noticed but I have a small rust problem so my eyes were closed 95% of the time as my “safety glasses” served better for looks than anything. But I could taste victory as I started to pull the primer away from the pump, and then I saw the fuel line that connected it to the pump... which probably should have been removed BEFORE I unscrewed the primer and made it too unstable to get enough resistance to remove anything.
It’s almost midnight...
23055C26-7D3F-46FF-82D8-A18E9A5DBB01.jpeg
View attachment 1880644
Tomorrow is a new day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom