Just Blew Out 3 Tires!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning, while coming home from running the summer 5k, I was trailing behind a tractor trailer carrying some kind of metal scraps it seemed to be. I was slowing down to turn into my driveway, and a piece fell off and ripped my right two tires to shreds and popped my left rear!

So, right now I put the old Firestones back on it, and now am looking for a new set of tires (gonna put the 2 that were saved on my pop's F-150). I'm an east coast guy, and during the summer about 2 months of OBX sand driving. I live 30 minutes from Uwharrie, but mostly like rocks/fire roads. They need to be 33 or 34/12.50 or 13.50 r15. I was considering the Trxus STS, or the Baja Radials, maybe the Baja Claws. I'm open for any other suggestions, be please do a good job justifying your suggestion.

Thanks in advance
Logan

Iv'e heard there are some smaller IROK's coming out soon, they would be good for a sand and rock mix. Also heard good thing's about Trxus MT's but they wear quick.

Did you get his plate# so HE can buy new tires for you?

cruiserdan said:

Roger that! This guy would definitely be liable.
If your tires were just about gone anyway, then no big deal.
Otherwise, it is a cash layout you didn't need.

It would be a good idea to put your year/model/mods/etc. in your sig line, so we could make better recommendations. For instance if you have a stock 91-92 someone might mention 33x12.5x15, but if you have a stock 93-97 someone might recommend 285/75/16 or 305/70/16.

EDIT: now I see the "r15" in your post. :doh:

cruiserdan said:

Good point Cdan, but to me the question is "why were you so close behind him that you could not stop in time"? Seems like you were way too close. What if this was on the highway and you had kids in your truck? May have been nasty. Just something to think about.

I wasn't too close, and I was actually slowing down and gaining distance from him. It is partially my fault, I was looking to see who was parked in my drive and not looking for flying pieces of sheet metal. No I did not get his plates, but I have contacted the company and they do see sympathetic of the issue and are gonna find out more to validate my claim.

It isn't too big of an issue, yes the tires were new, but I was unhappy with them (Thornbirds), so this gives me more reason for new tires, and possibly FREE new tires.

Seems like Iroks or Trxus MTs are what you guys think would do well. I like the looks of the STS, but everyone frowns on them, why so many bad thoughts?

While they have responsibility to secure their loads, you also have a responsibility for driving in control - sorry dude, but if something falls out and you hit it then you were either too close or not paying attention.

Yeah, I'm in a mood tonight since I had a car back into me (not my truck) in a parking lot today.

Yea, I know I wasn't paying attention, that's why I'm not pressuring anything about getting a payout for the damages. But, whether I get money for damages or not, they owe my dad $300 for littering in our yard (this company hauls construction debris, and has a history of not securing their loads well, my dad has complained several times and took them to court for it after some of their debris ruined a good bit or $400 worth of flowers in the flower garden a good 20 feet from the road; out of court agreement = $100 for each piece of trash in any yard on our road to the owner of that property and it is taken from the driver of the truck) so that will more than likely end up going towords the tires since I saved my dad $200 by giving him my "old" new tires.

BTW, has anyone sucessfully driven 13.50s on a stock 91-92 rim?

Just got $750 check in the mail!!!! They deemed themselves responsible for it, and were gonna send $1000, but my father insisted in only the value of the tires, so here I have $750 for new tires.

Should have pics up by the end of the week, their insurance company needs the pictures for proof and we're too poor for a digi cam, so development time and such.

Now, back to the order of choosing, how long do you guys think until the smaller sized IROKs?

Atta Boy!

Nothing wrong with insisting on accountability.

So this happened yesterday (Sat) and you get a check in the mail today (Sun)? Sounds odd to me.

Yes, happened yesterday around 10am, and the check was in the mail box (not mail delivered, the trucker put it in the box with an appology letter). I was surprised too, but it's the same trucker that's giving the whole road issues, he's pretty old which is why they probably haven't fired him yet.

I'm glad that it ended this fast though, I was mentally prepared for court and everything, LOL.

But, back to the questions: time for smaller IROKs? 13.50 on stock '91 rim?

not too small,
more like damn near impossible to balance,
teh nice thing about the 91 or 92's are that you can run 15" rims wich gives you the option of cheap steelies. I run 15x8 black steelies on 33x12.50.
no problems here.
Dave

I ran over a piece of metal towing a boat once. I didn't see it. blew one of the trailer tires. No problem getting safely to the sdie/out of the way. 5 minutes later this guys pulls in behind me in a sedan with his family in it. He was rtattled and started yelling at me about pieces of metal flying off my trailer. At first I thought he was kidding. After he caught his breath and clamed down abit I was able to show him my trailer and he agreed it had nothing to do with me. I showed him my tire and asked what the damn piece of metal did to his car. He showed me a freaking hole in the floor boards right where one of his kids had their feet. There were no injuries but I think I would have been rattled as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom