JTO Brake conversion for 1964 documenting thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured since I’m doing this I’d make a thread in the event it would be beneficial to anyone.

So far we have done the fronts and I ran hard lines. Going to tackle the rest this weekend.

It’s been pretty simple so far! We had to get some flexible hoses that were longer than the ones provided but the website clearly states that pre 1970 will require some flexibility so no big deal!

IMG_5070.jpeg
IMG_5073.jpeg
IMG_5078.jpeg
IMG_5079.jpeg
IMG_5083.jpeg

Most reviews for JTO seem to mention the lead time after ordering. It did take a few weeks to get the parts but I have no complaints! Just plan ahead in case they get backed up I’d say. Plus I ordered the parts at the tail end of Covid so that’s the territory at that time.

I’m running copper nickel hard lines after researching and calling some local shops. I am using rented flare kit from advanced. We’ll see how the flares hold up.

Flares are double flares as it seems like that’s the way to go nowadays but I’m no expert. 1964 had 9mm fittings so I’m having to deal with converting to 10 mm.

Original steel wheels did not fit over the caliper as mentioned on JTO website. Rather than do spacer I’m just going to use some crappy after market wheels for now!

did the backs this weekend. Tried cutting the backing plates but didn’t have enough space. Pulling the axles was pretty simple with 2 people.

We are having trouble getting a good pedal back now. I’ve filled the system with brand new fluid and I put about 15 psi of pressure at the master cylinder and have been getting nothing but fluid from all 4 calipers.

Any good recommendations or suggestions for getting the air out?

Thanks!

Are you sure you have the calipers on the correct sides ? Bleeders on the top side

Got things all wrapped up and tested. Initial prognosis is good! Brakes worked as advertised and felt great.

To get a firm pedal I used a power bleeder and it was simple and effective. Took about a couple of hours to bleed all four multiple times until no more tiny bubbles came thru.

Hardest part was definitely running new brake lines.

If I were to do it again I’d have come up with more of a plan rather than just winging it lol.

Also if you have a 64 then you’ll find that the flex lines they supply aren’t long enough to go from the caliper to the original hard line mounting point. I was able to get some 24” lines from advanced.

Also do plenty of flaring practice. I did a couple only and that made for some additional rework on the backend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom