Josh’s official vehicle search thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just one word of guidance... assuming(hoping) you bought a round-trip ticket.... don't be afraid to walk away from the deal if things aren't how you expected them to be. Vehicle condition, creepy seller, terms of the deal changed, etc...

Yes, it will suck to fly back home empty handed. But you won't be stuck with a turd that you will regret buying. And a bad decision that your wife won't let you ever forget.

I buy a lot of vehicles from out of town. Sometimes I go to see them and have them shipped home. Sometimes I drive them home. Sometimes I buy sight-unseen. You can't get wed to a vehicle. Or a transaction. Keep your eyes wide open. If that spidey sense is tingling, don't ignore it. Forget what your heart is saying and trust your gut.

Now go have an excellent adventure.

My flight lands in Denver around 10 on Saturday. Then I driver her home solo. I’m praying all goes well! That’s a hike. After I get home and get everything all sorted I’ll change all the fluids etc... over the first week or so.
I'll be landing in Denver on Sunday afternoon. You might be gone by then though..

The only issue, which he told me about up front, was a crack starting an the bottom of the windshield. He seems pretty legit. We have communicated a lot. I got an estimate from windshield city in Chantilly for 255 so that will get done when I get back.

It sounds like a fun trip.
I’ve tried to talk my wife into doing this.

Last edited:
It sounds like a fun trip.
I’ve tried to talk my wife into doing this.
You need to make sure that the truck is only part of the adventure. My wife and I drove down to New Orleans to t wat I thought was going to be a nice 60 with a 5 speed back in the early 2000s.
We ended up bot buying it because there were several sys with the truck that the seller didn’t disclose.
We still had a great time in New Orleans.

Maybe bring a backup usb battery for charging your phone. I drove my SC back from Asheville and when I got there I found that the cigarette outlet wasn’t working. It would suck to have a mechanical issue but then also have a dead phone.

Keep an eye on the fuel gauge and verify it’s working before getting in the middle of nowhere to find it doesn’t work right.

Don’t ask why I recommend this 😬

Best of luck don’t let us scare you just words of wisdom/experience from all of us. 😎

Last edited:
That's gonna be a great trip! My next one (like I need another truck...) will be acquired this way.

Glad to see you got the '86 and passed on the '88. '88s are odd balls as they were bleed over years for parts implementation.

I’m getting nervous but really excited too. Planning the route home tonight. I wish I could take my time but I need to be at my house by 5pm Tuesday at the latest. Hoping to avoid as much mountain travel as possible. I got everything pretty much ready. Tonight I map out return trip and make my “leaving Denver” checklist.

Did you pick up the truck yet?

This thread is worthless with out pictures!

Pics or it didn't happen!

She’s solid! Steering is nice...no slop

Clutch is newer... it’s nice and tight , the clutch peddle is real squeaky on the press though. Probably a simple fix.

everything works great

No rust... a few very minor surfaces dustings but no rot at all and nothing that scrub won’t take off. Underneath is real good.

I feel safe in her. It feels solid.

it has rough country shocks.... and you can tell. This is a firm ride. It isn’t terrible, but it’s too firm. That will get corrected, probably with OME or something else. But at least it isn’t sagging.

she tracks great! Brakes great! Tranny feels perfect! Transfer case works flawlessly.

she is staying cool and giving me 22 MPG at 60 MPH.

DBBAAFED-2B24-44C3-B9F0-F33F30D4B77D.jpeg

A59385B8-112A-4AE5-B6D2-B07D5966F3AC.jpeg

21D3A361-3A35-4E96-B306-ACAB3C67BBB0.jpeg

BB42E77D-D5AD-4CBF-9645-FA728C548738.jpeg

DAC96316-C39A-4F03-87E2-921C5FF969EF.jpeg

That’s likely just the brass contact under the steering wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom