JDM TOYOTA RAV4 CALDINA 2C 2.0L DIESEL ENGINE info. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wonder if I could get any information about the JDM TOYOTA RAV4 CALDINA 2C 2.0L DIESEL ENGINE.
Could I mate this engine up to a rear wheel drive manual transmission to put in an '85 Toyota truck?

I don't know if you'll find anyone on here who has the specifics of the swap, but if you have fabrication skills and mechanical ability, anything is possible. :)

yotadude, the possibility you speak of is there. What I'm have a time of is finding the right engine. Thanks for the response.

Are you just looking to do any diesel conversion? What is the budget in mind? Or are you set on that particular engine?

Wonder if I could get any information about the JDM TOYOTA RAV4 CALDINA 2C 2.0L DIESEL ENGINE.
Could I mate this engine up to a rear wheel drive manual transmission to put in an '85 Toyota truck?

Why not look at the 1KZT, 3L or 2LT? I think the 2C is a little on the small side and meant more for cars not trucks. 1KZT, 3L and 2LT all came in the trucks/4runners. They are proven swaps and there is lots of knowledge around for them.

Was kinda wanting to stay Toyota for the diesel engine, but the more research I do I'm finding that I might need to go to maybe a Mercedes. I would like to stay with all mechanical and stay away from the computerized versions.
The budget is somewhat limited, but there is no hurry on getting the project done.
I have located a Mercedes 2.2L DIESEL MERCEDES from a 1971 or 1972 220D W115 for a good price. It's a 4 cylinder and I don't think it would be to heavy for the front suspension, just not sure what sort of fun I might get into with mating the manual trans to it.
I'll see if I can find more info. on the 1KZT or 2LT.
Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Hylux and Surf I believe.
Maybe some non US market vans too.

VW tdi is another tried and true easy, cheap swap.

Well after much extensive searching, and though it looks as if the 1KZT would be a wonderful power horse for my little Toytoy, I, unfortunately, am very limited to the Toyota diesel engine population here in the United States. Looks like I just might have to go with a Mercedes of something. Further input is greatly welcomed.

Find a VW ALH engine, probably the best VW diesel built. Easy to get a 120 to 150 HP out of them. I have one in a Jetta with a Mark Malone stage two tune that goes like the proverbial "bat out of hell' .

So I have located a Mitsubishi 4D31 that I understand comes with a turbo, however I'm also told that it would spit oil out the valve cover breather while under heavy loads. I'm wondering if it may have an exhaust valve going down in it. The bigger question is where can a man locate all the specs on this engine. Would be nice to know how it weighs, what torque it puts out and the dimensions to see how well it would fit in my little Toytoy. I also need to find out if the stock 5 speed tranny can handle such an engine.
Any thoughts???

We covered this in your other thread, your stock tranny can’t fit that clutch disc, and probably wouldn’t hold up to the torque. Way heavy, over 600lbs. What tranny will you use? Stock, it had a cable shift manual. How will you transfer that into a normal vehicle, that has top shift trannies? What transfer case? There was good info in your other thread. Look it over.

Last edited:
We covered this in your other thread

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I now see I started a duplicate thread, but I don't know how to remove that one. Hope you all can bear with a forum rookie such as myself.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I now see I started a duplicate thread, but I don't know how to remove that one. Hope you all can bear with a forum rookie such as myself.

I hear you man, my swaps been dragging forever. I would steer away from the 4d31. That Isuzu I linked is a good option if you have passenger side drop. Others have mentioned the VW and OM617 or a stock Toyota option. Sadly none will be cheap, or quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom