JDM running boards or NO running boards??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought another 1994 Cruiser and it currently has the stock American rusty running boards. The guy I bought it from had some JDM all aluminum running boards he threw in the deal. Anyway, the current running boards are in bad shape. I will either need to remove them and buy front mudflaps and delete them or install the JDM ones and add the correct mud flaps. Here is a pic of some JDM running boards on a JDM truck. I have a OME 3" lift kit and 35" tires that will be installed. The truck WILL NOT see any rock duty or any situation where the running boards become 'damage multipliers' What's the consensus???

Screenshot_20200123-132443_Gallery.jpg

Unless you need them to get in the truck, running boards are the work of the devil. Those new folding ones that turn into rock rails as they retract sound interesting. Our truck came board-less, which pleased me, as can be seen in this pic of its first day home.

YsSGz2.jpg

Besides being a nice, clean sheet to build on, the lack of boards helps with looking trail ready, instead of mall ready. Highwaters look dorky and strange as jeans, but on a Land Cruiser highwaters fit. YMMV

I have the same truck, 3 inch lift on 35’s, I need the running boards, if you don’t want them I may be interested in buying yours as my rusty ones are about done

Get rid of them.... I jettisoned mine from my European spec HDJ-80.

I love the JDM running boards. The window deflectors? Not so much.

I have the aluminium side steps on mine. I don't mind them. They get used, and no I'm not a short ass who can't wash my roof.
That do however buckle at the first sniff of rocky terrain.

I don't rock crawl, but if I had boards, they would have been problematic almost immediately regardless. Heck the mud flaps are borderline issues given even moderate trails sometimes.
Remove the rusty ones. Sell the JDM's - unless you need them to get in and out of your ride.

How do those MudStars treat you?

I appreciate all the advice. I was on the fence and I think the consensus has pushed me to the 'delete' side. The picture in the OP was just for reference on what jdm boards look like, so the Mudstar tires i have no review on. However, 35" Hankook Dynapro MT's I could comment on 🙂

I'll chime in too since you're asking. But I don't base my opinion on "what looks good". If you go offroad, they will not last so you should remove them. Otherwise leave them since they do make it easier for some people (kids, etc.) to get into the truck. If you happen to go offroad and need the step, look at a different solution.

I appreciate all the advice. I was on the fence and I think the consensus has pushed me to the 'delete' side. The picture in the OP was just for reference on what jdm boards look like, so the Mudstar tires i have no review on. However, 35" Hankook Dynapro MT's I could comment on 🙂
Would you be interested in selling your JDM running boards? My kids could use them during school drop off and pickups.

I vote to keep them. You said the truck won’t be in any situation where they could be damaged, so why ditch them? You’ll make it harder to get in and out of the car, wash the roof, and your seat will wear out faster.

People wash their roofs? :eek:

I left my running boards on until they got bent up and smashed (which made them a little difficult to remove). But while they were on, I did kinda like having the step. If you're not going to go anywhere where they'd get close to a rock, I'd leave them on. Problem is, you may find yourself cruising a back road and see a trailhead and be tempted to go up it. Then what do you do? :D

People wash their roofs? :eek:

I left my running boards on until they got bent up and smashed (which made them a little difficult to remove). But while they were on, I did kinda like having the step. If you're not going to go anywhere where they'd get close to a rock, I'd leave them on. Problem is, you may find yourself cruising a back road and see a trailhead and be tempted to go up it. Then what do you do? :D

Yes I wash and wax the roof along with the rest of the body. Doesn’t make sense to wash the car without washing the roof? It’s like taking a shower without washing your hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom