Jan '79 FJ40 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
Have found a Jan. '79 FJ40 that has not been started since 1995. Is just sitting out in the open with some rust on the rear quarter panels, rear sill and other minor rust issues.

I noticed it has body panel "humps" that support the seats rather than the brackets I have on my '77. I have not seen this before and wanted your opinions. Odo is showing 65,687 miles but I think that is more like 165,687. Will need a lot of work as I am sure the engine is frozen, Interior is pretty ragged but top is in good shape as are the doors, hood, and body other than the rear quarter panels.

When did Toyota go away from the seat brackets to the molded seat supports? Thanks for you input.

Dec78 was the last of the old style body.
Jan 79 was the start of the new body style

Thanks for the education and replies. That makes sense.

I also have a Jan 79 FJ40 that I am restoring. I bought it in Feb and I have completely dismantled the car and had the body tub, fenders and front grill sent out for media blasting. Mine has the different seat and floor you mentioned. As some one has mentioned that is the first year for the tank to be under the bed so the floor pans are different than previous years. Good luck on your restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom