1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jan '79 FJ40 questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Helipilot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Have found a Jan. '79 FJ40 that has not been started since 1995. Is just sitting out in the open with some rust on the rear quarter panels, rear sill and other minor rust issues.

I noticed it has body panel "humps" that support the seats rather than the brackets I have on my '77. I have not seen this before and wanted your opinions. Odo is showing 65,687 miles but I think that is more like 165,687. Will need a lot of work as I am sure the engine is frozen, Interior is pretty ragged but top is in good shape as are the doors, hood, and body other than the rear quarter panels.

When did Toyota go away from the seat brackets to the molded seat supports? Thanks for you input.

MOTOV8R likes this.
  2. want2wheel

want2wheel SILVER Star

The 79 was the first year of the under belly fuel tank. I guess that is what you are talking about.

Helipilot, sadam_husain and shawnfj40 like this.
  3. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

Dec78 was the last of the old style body.
    Jan 79 was the start of the new body style

Helipilot and sadam_husain like this.
  4. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Thanks for the education and replies. That makes sense.

5. Roverman

Roverman

I also have a Jan 79 FJ40 that I am restoring. I bought it in Feb and I have completely dismantled the car and had the body tub, fenders and front grill sent out for media blasting. Mine has the different seat and floor you mentioned. As some one has mentioned that is the first year for the tank to be under the bed so the floor pans are different than previous years. Good luck on your restoration.

Tags: