It happened to me...Loose then broken knuckle studs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brake fluid flush/ fill yesterday, when laying underneath the front I noticed on the passenger side there was a gap between the knuckle and bottom of the axle.

Put a 17mm on the nut and found that they were finger tight 😬

Started tightening up and BAM, with little pressure the (2) forward studs broke, nut, washer, cone and stud remnant fell out. 😭

Tightened up the (2) on the rear and made the 20mi trek home. Also noticed the steering wheel being slightly off center since I tightened those (2) remaining nuts.

Drivers side was tight and did not come loose.

I should probably replace all (8) of those studs, cones, washers and nuts...

You might consider my High Strength studs. I can get them headed your way today in time fir this weekend.
awe these are awesome, thanks for letting me know you make these!

I ordered the full set for both sides from my local Toyota for ~54.00 and will have it this afternoon, then replace and re-align. Get ready for this weekend, I will keep yours in mind for next rebuild! :cheers:

awe these are awesome, thanks for letting me know you make these!

I ordered the full set for both sides from my local Toyota for ~54.00 and will have it this afternoon, then replace and re-align. Get ready for this weekend, I will keep yours in mind for next rebuild! :cheers:
Yup, Was going to tell you most of the dealers in LA can get these in same day. Been there done that. If in a total pinch, I also carry a few spares if needed.

Check yer nutz!

Yup, Was going to tell you most of the dealers in LA can get these in same day. Been there done that. If in a total pinch, I also carry a few spares if needed.

Check yer nutz!
Thank you @midfat .... I should have seen it coming...even saw a YouTube video the other day where someone was randomly checking and those were loose, should have walked out and checked that day but hey...at least I found it with only having (2) break..could have been much worse

* Disclaimer- The following pic may be too graphic for some viewers, proceed with caution.

PXL_20210802_213051191.jpg

To make you feel better after seeing that - here's the part numbers from Mr.T

Stud - 90126-12010
Cone - 42323-60020
Washer - 90201-12019
Nut - 94115-71200

You are lucky you caught that when you did. ARP studs from Front Range off-Road. Torque to 120lbft.

* Disclaimer- The following pic may be too graphic for some viewers, proceed with caution.

View attachment 2748548

To make you feel better after seeing that - here's the part numbers from Mr.T

Stud - 90126-12010
Cone - 42323-60020
Washer - 90201-12019
Nut - 94115-71200
I caught mine at work one day.

Two had fallen out, one was broke off, the last one was almost ready to fall out.

I snugged it up and drove VERY gingerly on my way home.

I installed new ones the next day, but then I installed all new again when I rebuilt the front axle two months later.

I had one break recently out wheeling. Got home and two were finger tight on the passenger side. Upgraded all 8 with ARP studs and saved the 7 I pulled out for spares. I think upgrading to ARP is well worth the money!

If you own a cruiser long enough it becomes a regular check. Often an oil leak is the first indication. You can fabricate a locker for the nuts. Worst case scenario you can nick a couple of studs from the opposite side.

It seems prudent to draw a yellow paint line with a paint marker through the nut and stud after proper installation/torque, so that subsequent visual inspections are quick and easy. Just a thought.

It seems prudent to draw a yellow paint line with a paint marker through the nut and stud after proper installation/torque, so that subsequent visual inspections are quick and easy. Just a thought.
This is what I did. I used yellow torque stripe goo that comes in a tube sort of like anti-seize. Put it on after I torqued everything with clean hardware. Now I just give it a visual inspection every so often. Of one of those yellow lines is broken, I'll know I have a problem.

I did this with yellow paint pen and the marks eventually wore off. I decided counted the threads that protrude through the nuts (pretty much all the same). I do a thread count and retorque the nuts prior to every wheeling trip.

I did this with yellow paint pen and the marks eventually wore off. I decided counted the threads that protrude through the nuts (pretty much all the same). I do a thread count and retorque the nuts prior to every wheeling trip.
Just for reference, the torque stripe stuff is NOT a paint pen. That crap sticks to anything and it won't wear off unless you drag those studs across something in a very aggressive manner. In normal driving conditions it will last quite a while. I put mine on about 10 months ago and it hasn't budged.

Just for reference, the torque stripe stuff is NOT a paint pen. That crap sticks to anything and it won't wear off unless you drag those studs across something in a very aggressive manner. In normal driving conditions it will last quite a while. I put mine on about 10 months ago and it hasn't budged.
As an A&P I’ve seen truck loads of torque stripe goop. The point of my post was that, ultimately, I decided to do closer visual inspections coupled with timely retorques for 100% verification of fastener security.

Last edited:
As an A&P I’ve seen truck loads torque stripe goop. The point of my post was that, ultimately, decided to do closer visual inspections coupled with timely retorques for 100% verification of fastener security.
I wasn't questioning your method, just clarifying for others who may not know what we're talking about. I agree that routine visual inspection and re-torque are good practices.

Marking them still requires you to be disciplined to visually inspect them regularly.

I like Joey's nut hugger idea. Or safety wire.

I bought new hardware for mine, I'll be redoing mine while my truck is off the road for other work.
Will probably wire them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom