isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80 4bd1t

Here are more pics.
DSC02169.JPG
DSC02171.JPG

cool project. If the air-intake tube was removed... could the engine sit further back? But, I guess then it would be hard to get filtered air into the turbo. BUT, you could clearance the firewall at just that point (where the bend comes into the turbo).

Don't be afraid to cut and clearance the oil pan. It isn't hard, and on my 4BT project it made all the difference.

are you running a 700R4 to stock xfer case?

That's really going to be a neat rig. Stay with it. It will be so worth it in the long run.

How about mounting the intercooler flat horizontal across the valve cover with the top level with the hood. Then cut an opening in the hood and have a hood scoop. I know the hood scoop sounds hokey, but non US spec Nissan terrano's and Hyundai Galloper's (Montero clones) do it that way.

That's how I plan to do it on my 60. I guess it's easier to hack a hood on an old beater 60 than a nice clean 80 though.

Engine Kits

I'm hoping to get feedback from those of you that used aftermarket engine kits on your Isuzu 4BD**'s.

How have they fared? Quality acceptable?

I'm hoping to get some input before I purchase a kit.
Rudy's kit is mentioned on the Isuzudieselswapper site and sold on Ebay.
Not many other aftermarket Isuzu parts being sold in the US.

Some people over on the 4BT Swap Forums looking for input too. Figured I'd cross post over here.

I'm hoping to get feedback from those of you that used aftermarket engine kits on your Isuzu 4BD**'s.

How have they fared? Quality acceptable?

I'm hoping to get some input before I purchase a kit.
Rudy's kit is mentioned on the Isuzudieselswapper site and sold on Ebay.
Not many other aftermarket Isuzu parts being sold in the US.

Some people over on the 4BT Swap Forums looking for input too. Figured I'd cross post over here.

I got my bearings and gasket set straight from Isuzu. I have heard not to use aftermarket stuff. Dougal had a bad/expensive problem with some.

I think I like where the engine is, not cutting drive shafts, centered in the engine bay, really being ready for the motor mounts to get wielded so I can get on with the project.

There is no room atop the engine for an intercooler, the front of the engine is 1.5" from the hood.

I got my bearings and gasket set straight from Isuzu. I have heard not to use aftermarket stuff. Dougal had a bad/expensive problem with some.

I think I like where the engine is, not cutting drive shafts, centered in the engine bay, really being ready for the motor mounts to get wielded so I can get on with the project.

There is no room atop the engine for an intercooler, the front of the engine is 1.5" from the hood.

I've had issues with aftermarket rings, headgaskets and oil seals. If you can get genuine gasket sets, then do it. The price is excellent and you know everything fits.

I'm currently running aftermarket main & thrust bearings, liners and pistons. I haven't had a problem with any of those and I'm not expecting to.

hayes167- Congratulations on the build! It's actually kind of a downer for me :) because I had planned on going with the 4HE1 mounted to my A440. It is less than an inch taller, and only an inch wider than the 4BD2T. But... It's fourteen inches longer. Something that I didn't think would be a problem with our long I6's, but I was sadly mistaken. :(. I'll have to do some more research and all that business. Oh well. I don't see how they can shoehorn a 6BT in, and the 4HE1 won't fit. I'll get it, I guess it will be harder now. :). Congrats.

... I had planned on going with the 4HE1 mounted to my A440. It is less than an inch taller, and only an inch wider than the 4BD2T. But... It's fourteen inches longer...

I don't understand why you say that the 4HE1 is 14 inches longer than the 4BD2. I just measured the 4HE1 and it is almost exactly 30" from the front of the water pump to the rear surface that the transmission mounts to. The 4BD2 measures within a 1/4" of this measurement. Are you including the length of the rear-mounted starter in your measurement? I agree that the starter poses an interference problem and will need to be relocated somehow.

Yes I was, but I may still be off. I was getting my measurement from one of the pages somewhere out there on the intraweb... :). My bad. Ha ha! So, how is your swap coming along? I noticed the other day on the 4BT sight that you're fitting a probe, or preparing to. Whittling down the to do list ehh? And I'm glad that it is not out of sight long compared to the 4BD2. :). I guess I just got bad info. I still foresee some fancy metal work in the pedal area though with that blasted starter sitting oddly. It will probably interfere with the frame.

Yes I was, but I may still be off. I was getting my measurement from one of the pages somewhere out there on the intraweb... :). My bad. Ha ha! So, how is your swap coming along? I noticed the other day on the 4BT sight that you're fitting a probe, or preparing to. Whittling down the to do list ehh? And I'm glad that it is not out of sight long compared to the 4BD2. :). I guess I just got bad info. I still foresee some fancy metal work in the pedal area though with that blasted starter sitting oddly. It will probably interfere with the frame.
The 4HE1 is still in the NPR chassis. I'm going to resolve the transmission/T-case issue first and it is easier to do in the NPR chassis. Once I get a T-case on the AW450/A440F hybrid transmission and verify that it works, I'll pull the 3FE and start fitting the 4HE1 in the FJ62. Still a long way to go especially at the speed that I move :D

Ha ha. Too bad you don't live in Kansas, I'd throw down an extra hand whenever you needed it. :). You mentioned relocating the starter... How were you thinking on doing that? Like a flywheel out front with custom bracketry or something of that nature?

Ha ha. Too bad you don't live in Kansas, I'd throw down an extra hand whenever you needed it. :). You mentioned relocating the starter... How were you thinking on doing that? Like a flywheel out front with custom bracketry or something of that nature?
Haven't addressed that issue. When I get further along, I'll resurect the 4HE1 thread on this forum.

Cool deal. :) Keep us posted.

Has anyone looked to see if Isuzu offers a crate engine?

Subscribed!

This is exactly what I'd like to do! I killed WAY too much time yesterday reading the whole thread, and am subscribing. Thanks to Dougal, astr, RHINO, DieselCruiserHead, 88tlc, BRam... Hell, all of you for contributing your great knowledge, insight, and ideas!
My wife, however, may be less happy....:eek:

Los

i think this thread got way bigger than any of us thought it would. as you pointed out it takes a looooong time to read the whole thing, but its practically a one stop shop for isuzu info.

I'm attempting to determine if a single Optima red top would be sufficient for starting a 4BD*. Anyone using a single battery??

I'm attempting to determine if a single Optima red top would be sufficient for starting a 4BD*. Anyone using a single battery??

My Dad just finished putting a 4BD1-T into a Chev Tahoe (yes, I tried to get him to put it in an 80 instead...)
His is starting his fine with one of my old red tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom