Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got the rods and pistons removed. I was able to press the sleeves a bit more. They are all with in spec for sleeve protrusion now between .10mm and .04mm none are at the limit either way.

So now the question.

1)Call it good and toss it back together as is.

2)Call it good toss it back together with new OEM rings.

3)Continue and pull sleeves, replace with OEM graded sleeves and OEM rings.

On a good note everything looks like new inside still. No issues with big end bearings or sleeve finish, still lots of cross hatch. The rings on the pistons now look like they have just started seating in but still have a long way to go.

My budget is very tight having a wife on paternity leave but my time is far more scarce. I need to get this sorted ASAP.

Without hunting back through your thread, I assume you would have checked these measurements at the initial install as well? And I assume they were within spec at that time or you wouldn't have proceeded? So is the theory the sleeves moved, or what? What's to stop them from shifting again this time?

The numbers agree with the book, but you should only have .001" (.0254 mm) variation between adjacent cylinders. The main purpose of cylinder liner or sleeve protrusion is to give you the proper amount of “crush” on your cylinder head gasket. This ensures that once torqued, your cylinder head crushes the gasket evenly and to the correct specification. It is important to measure the liner protrusion in multiple locations around each cylinder.
It also helps to know not only the spec for protrusion, but also the variation allowed. For example, the specification for liner protrusion is .0015-.0039″ (.0387mm-.1 mm). The allowable variation is .001″ (.025mm). This means if you measure one cylinder in 5 or 6 places around the cylinder and you are within .001 of each measurement AND your measurement falls within the .001-.005″ (.025-.127 MM) range then you are within spec needed. You want these measurements to remain consistent concentrically around each hole, but also from cylinder to cylinder. If you are not consistent from cylinder to cylinder, your head gasket might be crushing or sealing properly on one side of the engine and not sealing on the other.
Engines using a dry liner can be a little trickier than their wet sleeve cousins. It is recommended to use a depth micrometer first to measure the depth of the counterbore (distance from the deck surface to the flange seating surface in the block). Write this measurement down and now measure the thickness of your liner flange. Subtract the two numbers. This will give you what your protrusion “will be” permitting the liner sits true in the block. The reason for doing these measurements prior to installing the liner is because in dry liner applications you have to use a sleeve installer or liner press to install them. Once installed, it is difficult to remove them without damage. After they are installed it is good practice to measure the protrusion again. Making sure that they are within spec and consistent cylinder to cylinder. Remember over enthusiastic mechanical or abrasive cleaning of the counterbore can ruin a good block.
If I saw 4 thou above on #1 hole and 1.5 thou above on #2 hole, followed by say 3 on #3 & say 3 on #4, it would ring alarm bells. But protrusion of 4, 3, 3 & 2.5 thou for example while not ideal would be fine. I usually aim for 2.5 to 3.5 thou above, anything less will not be as durable if higher output is desired. Abnormal combustion, overheating, timing issues and higher output will bring out head gasket sealing issues very quickly. This is one area of a diesel that unfortunately can't take too many shortcuts, although its common and often required to place shims under the sleeves on some engines to attain the correct protrusion, but I don't know if they are available in sizes to suit the ISUZU.

I'm sure you already know most of this, just thought the info could be useful for someone.

BTW I did the 4bd1t with td04hl 19t-6 making 29psi @2600 into my fj80 with t700 auto( was already in there) a couple of months ago and have just come back from 15,000 km trip
Averaged 15.3 l/100km towing 1500 kg camper trailer, geared to 2250 @ 100kmh, worst fuel economy was 18.5l/100km towing. Haven't checked fuel usage without trailer yet as the engine had only done 4km when we left. Got boost & pyro and other info too if your interested.
Thank you very much, I searched my manual top and bottom to find a variance between sleeves. I found nothing in the manual.

Your response clarifies a great deal.

I will re measure the sleeves tomorrow.

Without hunting back through your thread, I assume you would have checked these measurements at the initial install as well? And I assume they were within spec at that time or you wouldn't have proceeded? So is the theory the sleeves moved, or what? What's to stop them from shifting again this time?
Nope it was a total mess up on my part. I bottomed them out (so I thought) and called it good. Being my first sleeve block I just did not grasp the magnitude of it.

So totally my mistake.

If the protrusion is true & correct, and the head is tight, they cannot move. They will move if the engine is turned with the head off, if they are loose in the block.

fabmec

This is some great information you have posted and many here will benefit from it. My engine and parts are are at the machinist now, and I will start assembly soon, so timing is good.

OK so here is each sleeve measured in 4 places, I can't do any more due to the adjacent sleeves.

They are all consistent other than #3 and part of #1. I don't see how a shim would help in this case. I have used my press tool on each to ensure they are the pressed fully down into place.

The one that worries me is #3 since it is .03mm different across its face.

Is this variance enough to cause issues? How would I get any better with new sleeves?

Recheck without your press tool in place. Also place straight edge across tops and see if you have similar readings. You may have localised issues with deck flatness ie been really hot in past or issues with foreign matter or wear of couterbore lip on 1 & 3

I did not have the press in place when I measured. I just tried to get #3 flatter with it then took it off and re measured. It was the same pre and post. If I lay a straightedge front to back on the deck of the block beside the liners is flat I can not fit a .04mm feeler anywhere under it. That is the smallest feeler I have found.

If I lay my straightedge across the sleeves and checked with a .04mm feeler. It will allow one through on #2 sleeve where it is closest to #1 sleeve. But that is the only spot of variance.

This engine did get extremely hot a few times 240f+. I don't think I had any foreign matter in the seats for the sleeves, I cleaned them well before assembly.

I'm thinking my measurements are indication I need to pull the liners on at least #1-3.

Yes thats what I would do 1&3 and check the counterbore there may be contact marks where it is seated. The mark should be even all the way round . I've got some pictures in a book somewhere I'll see if i can dig out tonight. Then check the counterbore depth and the sleeve flange to see how far it should be protruding.

Yes thats what I would do 1&3 and check the counterbore there may be contact marks where it is seated. The mark should be even all the way round . I've got some pictures in a book somewhere I'll see if i can dig out tonight. Then check the counterbore depth and the sleeve flange to see how far it should be protruding.
OK thanks for the wonderful information! I really appreciate it!

I'll pull the sleeves Saturday and get some more information.

Managed to find that book so below are some examples from an independent lab where an analysis was done on various cylinders and cylinder components. (Note: The color has been removed from these photographs for better contrast in the illustrations)
Good_Liner_Flange.jpg

The above illustration shows the underside or contact side of a cylinder liner flange. Note the “even” and consistent seating pattern.
Bad_Liner_Flange.jpg

The above illustration shows the underside or contact side of a cylinder liner flange. You can see where the seating pattern is uneven. This is due to inconsistent or out of spec liner protrusion. This improper liner protrusion resulted in a cracked liner flange.

The above photo (under high magnification) shows the presence of compressed “media”. After discussions with the engine owner we found out that the block was recently replaced. They had purchased it from a salvage yard that had media blasted (shot blasted). After material analysis was completed the embedded particles were determine to be a different material than the liner itself. The engine owner had not cleaned the media blasted block in a hot tank or steamer to remove debris from the block. When installing the cylinder liners, they had trapped media under the flange. This resulted in improper liner protrusion and a cracked liner flange. This is an extreme case, but can happen with any foreign debris from steel shot to sand to dirt. This is why it is crucial when assembling an engine to keep it clean!

The above magnified photo shows heavy striations on the underside of the flange. Note the pattern is opposite the machine marks of the liner itself. These striations were caused due to the engines liner seating surface being aggressively machined utilizing a hand operation. In this case a high speed abrasive surface preparation disc. The uneven pattern caused such inconsistencies to where the liner flange was completely snapped form the liner (see below). Although this is a picture of a wet sleeve, it also happens with dry sleeves too.
Flange_Snapped.jpg

That's great! Going to be intresting to see what I find when I pull the sleeves.

The outcome of this weekend my dictate where and if I go with this engine.

The last couple of pages have a lot of good information for many of us who have sleeved engines. Thanks

Jeremy, hope this goes well over the weekend.

Great info from down under!

Well today I worked on getting the sleeves out of the engine. In the truck. No go the crank is totally preventing me from getting the tool in to the bottom. of the sleeves.

If the motor comes out for this it's not going back in. So tomorrow the disassembly of the truck starts to remove the drive train. What goes back in is unclear but I'm way past the line in the sand I drew for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom