Land Cruiser Handbrake upgrades. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking at this stuff for a while because the 80 series land cruiser handbrake sucks.

I found 2 that seem to be available

1. Superior engineering ( handbrake cable mod)

2. Transfercase Brake mod.

The second option is pricey but seems like the best way to go in my opinion. The whole setup on the rear axle is overly complicated and I would love to take a grinder to it.

Wow, that rear transfer case kit is bloody expensive for a design with some pretty fundamental issues (EG it relies on all 4 wheels being on the ground and is a single point of failure).
I reckon I could put a kit together for less than that to convert to a proper caliper with electric handbrake like I've done on my 80. Works 1000x better than stock and has redundancy (each individual caliper is capable of holding the entire cruiser on a very steep incline and never needs any adjustment).

IMG_7579 (Large).JPG

Wow, that rear transfer case kit is bloody expensive for a design with some pretty fundamental issues (EG it relies on all 4 wheels being on the ground and is a single point of failure).
I reckon I could put a kit together for less than that to convert to a proper caliper with electric handbrake like I've done on my 80. Works 1000x better than stock and has redundancy (each individual caliper is capable of holding the entire cruiser on a very steep incline and never needs any adjustment).

View attachment 3354978
you have a good point there about all 4 wheels having to be on the ground. please share what you have done on your 80 I'm definitely interested in what you got... all I see above is a rotor and caliper ;)

The second option is pricey but seems like the best way to go in my opinion. The whole setup on the rear axle is overly complicated and I would love to take a grinder to it.

maybe run both... Superior Handbrake Upgrade Kit Suitable For Toyota LandCruiser HZJ-FZJ75/76/78/79/80 Series (Kit) SUP-79HBUP | Superior Engineering - https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/superior-handbrake-upgrade-kit-suitable-for-toyota-landcruiser-76-78-79-80-series-33958

Not a fan of the transfer case hand brake option at all.

This is an old concept. Older cruisers and patrols and landrovers used a drum brake version of these.

I've seen this style handbrake fail in situation where one rear wheel has poor traction. In some cases, the rear diff can allow the car to roll.
I've witnessed a 4x4 roll backwards down a hill on rough track because the wheel with no traction spins, skids, skips in a backward rotation, while the wheel with traction rolls with the car. If the ground is uneven, the slipping wheel can alternate from is side or the other. Once acar shifts, and there's a bit of momentum, there's no stopping it.

The disc is very low hanging too. I'd be nervous about tearing it off

Have to say there is nothing wrong with looking at converting to rear drums as on HZJ75/HZJ79 series, great big shoes.
We run these in our underground mines and have to say this works really well. Yes, there may be some extra attention required if operating in crap, but the holding power is there.

Are those the RX350 calipers? I've been looking into that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom