Issue with airing down E rated tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the wheels off to re-band my CV boots and noticed 2 of my tires were splitting about a half inch away from the rim on the inner sidewalls. Tire shop said they'll swap them out tomorrow but blamed it on airing down for the beach. Tires were bought in late May, about 4k miles and have only been aired down 3 maybe 4 times to 20 psi. My question is will this continue to be an issue or is the tire shop trying to pass the buck.
20200921_102553.jpg
20200921_102601.jpg

Bad batch of tires maybe, but that's unusual for sure. I've run beaches and every other sort of terrain on a set of Coopers and they're as good as new.

Appreciate the feedback, I've loved them so far. Hoping its not an issue moving forward.

Bad batch of tires maybe, but that's unusual for sure. I've run beaches and every other sort of terrain on a set of Coopers and they're as good as new.
Coopers are among the best tires I’ve ever run. Never had an issue out of them, whereas Goodyear, BFG, Firestone were all problematic in one way or another. So I’m with saucebox that you’re prob just unlucky and got a bad batch.

What was the date code on the tires? I just ordered some "new" snow tires for my 100 and when they arrived 2 were from 2012 and 1 from 2014. They went back, company claimed it was a "warehouse problem".

I've run Coopers hundred of miles at 12 PSI in terrible conditions over multiple years and never had an issue.

What was the date code on the tires? I just ordered some "new" snow tires for my 100 and when they arrived 2 were from 2012 and 1 from 2014. They went back, company claimed it was a "warehouse problem".

I've run Coopers hundred of miles at 12 PSI in terrible conditions over multiple years and never had an issue.

I'll check the dates tomorrow.

Coopers are among the best tires I’ve ever run. Never had an issue out of them, whereas Goodyear, BFG, Firestone were all problematic in one way or another. So I’m with saucebox that you’re prob just unlucky and got a bad batch.
I've had the opposite experience. Coopers on my 06lx had a few problems with poor tread wear and sidewall blisters after 10k miles. Buddy had cooper discoverers that cupped badly a couple years back. Coworkers (two of them) had obviously cupped tires on their Cooper's.

My current ko2's are getting noisy at only ~30k, but they've seen plenty abuse so who knows.

Regardless, the splitting coopers are not normal unless you're airing down to 5psi or something silly.

If I'm reading it right 13th week of 2020, bought them first week in May.
20200922_084350.jpg

I've had the opposite experience. Coopers on my 06lx had a few problems with poor tread wear and sidewall blisters after 10k miles. Buddy had cooper discoverers that cupped badly a couple years back. Coworkers (two of them) had obviously cupped tires on their Cooper's.

My current ko2's are getting noisy at only ~30k, but they've seen plenty abuse so who knows.

Regardless, the splitting coopers are not normal unless you're airing down to 5psi or something silly.
I had a set of bfg ko and 2 sets of ko2 on my TJ, they were both really good tires. I'm liking the road manners of these more but that might be due to the cruiser and not the actual tires.

Last edited:
Anywhere else on the sidewall that resembles a date code?

These look like 7 year old tires. The shop that sold you these tires did you wrong. Actually I think there is a law against selling tires older than 6 years.

Just sent Cooper an email. I'm still at the shop and will be having a word with them. Thanks

I've never seen any tire manufacturer documentation that allowed "airing down."

I've never run Coopers but I've been airing down E-rated tires for years with no issues. Those look like defective tires and I think the tire shop is trying to pass the buck...

Correct date was on the whitewall side. I had them mounted black letters out. New ones are 2520. Hoping for no further issues
20200922_132325.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom