Is this a viable method for separating CV axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, it isn’t coming out. All I’m succeeding in is getting bits of brass everywhere

6D934190-8D7B-44C4-ADCE-4A69CBA18CCE.jpeg

Well, it isn’t coming out. All I’m succeeding in is getting bits of brass everywhere

View attachment 2519571
Brass drift won’t do much for the outer because there’s a circlip inside of it. Did you watch the videos I posted? You need a pipe or vise and brute force to bust that snap ring off on the inside.

Brass drift won’t do much for the outer because there’s a circlip inside of it. Did you watch the videos I posted? You need a pipe or vise and brute force to bust that snap ring off on the inside.
So then the only way to break apart the outer joint would be to fully disassemble the inner joint first...?

I am abandoning the attempt for now. Just disassembled the inner like a normal person and it was super easy, not sure why I’ve been trying so hard to avoid it.

8D0EA44C-9848-42D5-B7FE-F553E70BD72A.jpeg

9C816C5D-EB6B-42D5-A214-B673E4CE7C98.jpeg

1F8748BF-EA66-4EB9-AE33-CA94C0E974CA.jpeg

I separated the birfield joint using an old brake rotor on a couple of saw horses. The snap ring did break into 3 pieces. It took quite a few gravity assisted slams into the brake rotor to separate the joint. Not difficult, but took a lot more force than I would have expected. The snap ring did tweak the splines on the end of the shaft as things came apart. I suspect the snap ring never fully compressed during removal, so the splines literally cut into the ring broke it.

20230220_104458.jpg

20230220_115024.jpg

Most people just buy new CV axles, which, in my opinion, is an incredibly unnecessary expenditure given the inner joint is rarely ever compromised. Hell, the outer joints are rarely compromised either, but the splines on the outboard shaft are often worn, resulting in slop (or the infamous "clunk") at the outboard shaft + hub flange splines. Maybe most people don't know that the outers can be completely renewed and the boots replaced for $250 instead of the $450 for a new axle, or perhaps the 1 hour it takes to rebuild a CV axle is worth $200 to them.
i push rebuilds at my shop. No need to replace the whole thing for a torn boot or worn splines, especially if it's not making noise and "clean" inside.

For the cost of one oe axle and it's installation, we can reboot/regrease both. These axles are unlike anything on the road today.

i push rebuilds at my shop. No need to replace the whole thing for a torn boot or worn splines, especially if it's not making noise and "clean" inside.

For the cost of one oe axle and it's installation, we can reboot/regrease both. These axles are unlike anything on the road today.

@ibrahim83

what are you thoughts of this scarring on the cup for the outer joint from my photos on this post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom