Is this a stock early 70's fj40 drivers bucket seat config? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not familiar with the earlier stuff - is this a stock early 70's bucket seat configuration or has PO fabbed in buckets instead of 60/40 bench? I believe this is a 1970 or 1971 year truck.

thanks

image1.jpeg

unnamed (2).jpg

so this is a modified setup, bucket seat and support structure fabbed in where there would have been a tube frame supported 60/40 bench setup?

so this is a modified setup, bucket seat and support structure fabbed in where there would have been a tube frame supported 60/40 bench setup?

Wasn't a tube frame and it mount on top of the toolbox. Clip held it down in the front and it pivoted up off a couple of bracket in the back. Pin held the seat in to the rear brackets. Remove the pins slide the seat sideways it was free and could be removed. The setup up shown in the picture is stock for 73-78 seats. That includes the front left bracket. I just figured a way to move that outside the toolbox.

Wasn't a tube frame and it mount on top of the toolbox. Clip held it down in the front and it pivoted up off a couple of bracket in the back. Pin held the seat in to the rear brackets. Remove the pins slide the seat sideways it was free and could be removed. The setup up shown in the picture is stock for 73-78 seats. That includes the front left bracket. I just figured a way to move that outside the toolbox.
I'll be doing this modification later this year on my '71 FJ40. I have a complete set of brackets, hardware, and support frame parts from a '73 to '78 FJ40. I plan on using FJ60 bucket seats on the FJ40 mounts. Do you have any photos showing how you supported the outside drivers side rail to clear the tool box?

I can get some pictures. What I used was one of the upper brackets used on the hard top at the back. The side of the toolbox next to the transmission cover has to be notched for the front bracket used for the inside of both seats.

I can get some pictures. What I used was one of the upper brackets used on the hard top at the back. The side of the toolbox next to the transmission cover has to be notched for the front bracket used for the inside of both seats.
Thanks for the reply. Photos would be appreciated, but no hurry.

Few pictures of the stock setup in 70 FJ40. The latches were in poor shape so I used the ones from my 68 that no longer needed them, which explains the color difference.
IMG_20180722_082455165_LL.jpg
IMG_20180722_082518038.jpg
IMG_20180722_082858660.jpg

Thanks for the photos. That gives me an idea for using a 60-Series exhaust hanger bracket.

Exhaust-Bracket.jpg

Thanks for the photos. That gives me an idea for using a 60-Series exhaust hanger bracket.

View attachment 1749872

The hard top bracket worked perfect. If I get around to working on this cruiser planned a few changes. Will upgrade to grade 8 bolts on all the mounts. On the back bracket that go thru the boxed section of the tub plan to drill the upper hole and use some heavy steel tubing around the bolts in the boxed section so I'm not squeezing the the boxed section of the tub. Back in 1983 didn't know about nutserts but still prefer heavy fender washers and nuts. Seats frame are still very solid but in a accident don't want the seat brackets I installed to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom