Is There A Club SOP? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if there is a club Standard Operating Procedure [SOP]. Something in writing that covers basic questions like -

1) What are the default emergency radio frequencies?

2) What’s the minimum recommended spacing between vehicles when on a run?

3) What’s the minimum required / recommended safety gear? Such as specifications for fire extinguishers (size and fire type) or some sort of minimum first aid kit?

4) What’s the safety planning for a run (assembling lats and longs of the nearest medical facilities, etc.)

These are just some of the questions that came to mind. I’m sure there are hundreds of more topics that could be covered. It would be nice if the new people had something in writing so they could quickly get up to speed with the club wisdom.

I'd say that's METTC.
We have done full briefs in the past, but for the most part we are informal.
On TLCA events there will be a formal checklist and a general safety brief.
As for vehicle spacing, at a minimum keep the vehicle in front of and behind in view. On steep terrain I personally like to keep tight spacing to mitigate uncontrollable rolling vehicles, but some people get butt hurt if you get too close .

**I'd venture to say that some of us will be all too excited to get out the white board and prepare something.

Section XII - Safety Requirements for Club Functions from the CLCC Bylaws contains basics for all functions, not just trail rides. As a TLCA chapter, CLCC adheres to the TLCA Standard Operating Procedure https://tlca.org/wp-content/uploads/TLCA_SOP_RevMar10.pdf.

The club uses GMRS frequencies for trail communications. Frequencies, repeater offsets, PL Tone Codes and channels are listed on the www.capitallandcruiserclub.org club website. Organized events will have standard HAM frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands that vary by event.

Vehicle spacing guidance is loose. Each truck is responsible for keeping the vehicle behind them in sight at all trail intersections (so the trailing vehicle sees which trail the others took). Minimum spacing varies by trail conditions and common sense. Most trail rides are at slow or crawling speeds so stopping distance is not really a factor. We tread lightly and do not wheel at speed.

On the trail, we watch out for each other and don't let each other do stupid things. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on most trails we run and you will find yourself without wheeling partners if you are a hazard to others. All trips are family friendly, so that means safety is on everyone's mind.

We are not the White House Medical Staff so we probably do not know the grid coordinates of the nearest medical facility at all times. But we always know the way back to the nearest town.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there is a club Standard Operating Procedure [SOP]. Something in writing that covers basic questions like -

1) What are the default emergency radio frequencies?

2) What’s the minimum recommended spacing between vehicles when on a run?

3) What’s the minimum required / recommended safety gear? Such as specifications for fire extinguishers (size and fire type) or some sort of minimum first aid kit?

4) What’s the safety planning for a run (assembling lats and longs of the nearest medical facilities, etc.)

These are just some of the questions that came to mind. I’m sure there are hundreds of more topics that could be covered. It would be nice if the new people had something in writing so they could quickly get up to speed with the club wisdom.

I like where your head is...

Devilmans Hand and StaleAle pretty much covered it.

I will add that we are not that prescriptive when it comes to wheeling related requirements.

We have bylaws and they reference the TLCA safety equipment requirements as a minimum standard and there are lots of discussions regarding first aid and recovery equipment each truck should carry. My general rule of thumb for the minimum is to carry a backwoods type 1st aid kit; a 2.5 lb A-B-C fire extinguisher; recovery strap, and 2 shackles, a tire puncture kit, a couple ratchet straps, a hi-lift jack, a full sized spare tire, and tools to work on your rig... especially if you have a mix of standard hardware and unique lug nuts... I have built several packing lists that detail my many different tool, spare and recovery gear combos that you are welcome to.

Feel free to bring it up as a topic of discussion and standby for many different points of view on the ideal vehicle load out. We are not shay and encourage those who are not as experienced with wheeling to speak up and ask questions. We all started somewhere and had someone more experienced than us teach us the ropes.

There is always a trail or group lead, who establishes the conduct of the run, and a tail gunner. We abide by the philosophy of "Tread Lightly" But that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom