Is the LC worthy as an off-road toy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've got money to burn if considering the purchase of a 200 series land cruiser for an off road toy to modify. I'd suggest a Jeep Rubicon or FJ Cruiser.
If you go used 200, the FJ Cruiser can be more expensive depending on the years.

@Madtiger i understand 4runner wheelers have expensive bumpers and such, what you’re not understanding is price difference, that’s where I’m coming from but I also understand the saying “you have to pay to play” when modifying a LC. I’ve seen the video you posted, anything crazier than that you have to get bumpers, and add bigger tires for clearance. Thanks @99Cruiser, @krice118 no doubt in a LC’d reliability, i won’t trailer it a lot but most of the time I would so I have an excuse to tow the tundra and put miles on it. @koifish thats a badass build and I would but, if I ever got to that point of your build I would need to get a diesel to trailer my tundra around, the tundra is great but heavy and a LC can only tow so much “safely”. That’s why the tundra will be the tow rig, it’s still fun to go fast in the desert with it and wide open trails.
I wish but thats definitely not my build. A local guy's I see around town. Its a beast.

If I were trailering a trail toy, there's no way it would be a 200 series. These cars are fantastic highway cruisers, are very capable off-road, have excellent creature comforts and space. Out of these five factors, you only need one for playing on the trail. There are dozens of vehicles out there which would make great trail rigs: any generation T4R, Toyota Trucks (pre-tacoma), FJs, buggies, SxSs, etc. It's silly to spend 200-series-money to only use the car on the trail.

Makes sense @eatSleepWoof , it won’t be mostly trailered to go off-road but I would drive it a bit as it will be mine and give my tundra to my son when he’s older. But buying a good used vehicle like you’ve mentioned and having extra money to mod it sounds appealing. A long travel 4Runner or fj cruiser would be badass.

Buying an expensive car to sit in the driveway for years until your son is old enough to drive seems pretty frivolous. If you’ve got extra money sitting around, go donate it to a local food bank. There’s gonna be a lot of folks in dire economic straights in the coming weeks.

No way it’s gonna just sit @rusty87 , if I buy a landcruiser I’m gonna wheel it and buy mods it needs based on the off-roading I do and learn from it. Eventually go wheeling my son in the tundra and me in the landcruiser. I give my share to our local community 👍🏼.

No way it’s gonna just sit @rusty87 , if I buy a landcruiser I’m gonna wheel it and buy mods it needs based on the off-roading I do and learn from it. Eventually go wheeling my son in the tundra and me in the landcruiser. I give my share to our local community 👍🏼.

But that’s the thing......you haven’t done much heavy off-roading...yet already planning BIG bumpers and lifts...when you may not (likely not) need it given the stock capability of the LC. LC is much more capable than your Tundra in pretty much every which way. So, if you had no issue in your Tundra, then LC should be a walk in the park.

And i think everyone here laughs when you want to trailer a LC....

@Madtiger I said I will wheel the LC when I buy it then mod it according to what works off-road, if I dont need bumpers then I don’t need it, it will be based off of experience. Never said I was gonna buy bumpers, and I already know what sucks in my tundra that’s why I haven’t wheeled it in what you call heavy wheeling. We’re gonna keep going back and forth on this, I already know what the landcruiser can do just asking for opinions and I think at this point it’s not beating a dead horse, it’s a maggot party.

I agree with much of the comments above. The Tundra may be superfluous next to a LC. It may tow incrementally better on account of the long wheelbase, but the 200-series will hold its own and be more luxurious and comfortable. Even built, there's no way I'd opt to tow an LC to a destination, rather than enjoying the long drive there in it. Multi-purpose and deep competency in every use case is the 200-series calling.

The LC will be head over heals better off-road than a tundra on account of its dimensions, more advanced optionally lockable torsion transfer case, CRAWL, and overall articulation. The Tundra TRD Pro scores an RTI of 463. (base Tundra 401). These pale in comparison to the LC @ 647, which even exceeds many stock Jeeps. It doesn't need much more than AT tires and a mild lift.

If you're bent on a towable off-road toy, there's better options as mentioned earlier to better differentiate and augment your Tundra. Owning a 200-series, I'd have little interest in using Tundra for much of anything. Unless you just need another vehicle.

@TeCKis300 , ok the only advantage of the tundra is what I’ve mentioned, that’s it, LC has more advantages than the tundra I know that already it’s been beaten more than a dead horse in this thread. Trailering a 200 is a decision of mine but it doesn’t mean every trip it will be on the back of the tundra. Let’s all agree on the capability of the LC, that’s well known, the tundra will be towing it to some trails when I don’t want to drive it there.

You could do just lift and tires and that'll take care of your angles you're worried about. Sure you might scratch the bumpers here and there on some seriously hard trails.. But you might be looking at the numbers too much compared to what the real world experience might end up being like. Here's a vid of me stock with tired suspension and full skids underneath in a rock garden. Some rashes that I doubt I'll have this time around now that I'm lifted.

The 200 is a great on road and off-road truck. I'd say the best combination of the two out there by far. I've taken mine on Hole In The Rock, most of the Moab trails and some places here on the East coast and it is amazing. That said, as a trailered truck, I'd buy a nice well sorted 80. Not quite as good on road which won't matter that much to you though it's good enough for me going cross country, and quite a bit better off-road being smaller, higher clearance and solid axle. I've driven both on HITR and there is a difference.

One thing I'd never do is trailer a 200... just no point in doing that. They are too good on long trips to be sitting on a trailer... given the choice, I'd probably trailer the Tundra LOL.

Here's a video from HITR with 2 200's and 1 80 from last summer. It was hot as balls so we didn't get some of the better parts on video.

the tundra will be towing it to some trails when I don’t want to drive it there.

I guess this is the part that confuses us. You might understand once you get into a 200-series. To want to drive the Tundra instead? And to tow for the sake of towing?

I'm with steenh below.

One thing I'd never do is trailer a 200... just no point in doing that. They are too good on long trips to be sitting on a trailer... given the choice, I'd probably trailer the Tundra LOL.

Hard to imagine a person that can afford a 2016+ 200 series as a trail toy, having a problem buying aftermarket bumpers for it. Things just don’t add up, but it’s always fun to dream.

I do think an 80 would fit your needs better.

The true advantage of a 200 is in use as a modern vehicle, and towing. Way more power, on-road comfort/refinement, and a more modern feel. The price of this is lots of $$, size, and as everyone pointed out.. weight.

Throwing bedliner on a 80 and not worrying about pin striping it is much easier than a 200. I have some new stuff on my 2013 from a big bend trip and will be busting out the buffer soon to polish it up.

I feel you on the Big Bend scratches, the trails out there bite back with pin striping worse than just about anywhere else.

Have you seen the Frame Flex on the Tundra Crew max like in the original pic post ... Had a buddy wheeled his Crew max bent the frame right between the bed and cab .
I always thought that was a weak area when I owned a couple Tundra Crew max trucks just on road you could watch the flex in your rear view mirror .
Land Cruiser is way better .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom