Is the LC worthy as an off-road toy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that’s badass @TacomaLC , the tundra tows more but realistically, safely it would be about the same as the tow rating for the LC. But the tundra is paid off so it will be my tow rig, and a future landcruiser will be the off-road toy.

Not sure if you have seen my signature...but here is a thread on a lot of info/videos on LC200: Land Cruiser 200 Information

Look at Page 2. According to Podcast (also on page 2), LC200 is the MOST DURABLE / STRONGEST vehicle Toyota has EVER made. It will outlast anything right now on the road.

Last edited:
Yes @Madtiger , the jeeps have a solid foundation but not reliable. The 4Runner is a good choice or the baby landcruiser the GX460 which I love cuz of the V8 but it has the same s***ty approach and departure angles and you would have to get expensive aftermarket bumpers to make it Offroad worthy. You’re right for the price of even a used LC I could get a 4Runner, add a front locker with bigger tires and regeared and have some money left over. @PhuckItImDone , that’s badass, I love the LC has the same engine as the tundra, lots of torque.

@Madtiger yes I’m aware of the wonderful specs of the landcruiser, but if you’re talking about towing I’m not really using the LC for that, I have a tundra for towing. The LC is built better than all Toyota vehicles but it doesn’t tow as much as the tundra, they’re both different but yea I still want a 200 cruiser.

I haven't seen too many trailered TLCs. Usually they are doing the hauling. Are you sure you don't want a RZR or something more toylike? In the coming recession you should be able to snatch up a buggy pretty cheap.

Yes @Madtiger , the jeeps have a solid foundation but not reliable. The 4Runner is a good choice or the baby landcruiser the GX460 which I love cuz of the V8 but it has the same s***ty approach and departure angles and you would have to get expensive aftermarket bumpers to make it Offroad worthy. You’re right for the price of even a used LC I could get a 4Runner, add a front locker with bigger tires and regeared and have some money left over. @PhuckItImDone , that’s badass, I love the LC has the same engine as the tundra, lots of torque.

I keep seeing you say LC having bad approach departure angles?

LC from 2016 and up has 32 approach, 26 departure, and 25 breakover. All of which are the same or better than a 4runner. And pretty damn good for a SUV of any kind.

Your Tundra may have more ground clearance, but far worst departure and breakover angle.

In all this, there is one thing that you forgot that is even more important......suspension flex. About the ONLY vehicle that has more suspension flex than LC is a SWB Wrangler Rubicon. LC (and LX570) have amazing RTI score that beats out 4runners and pretty much everyone else. And yes, LC flex is far better than any Tundra.

CRAWL is pretty amazing. Add in the amazing suspension flex, and i have no need for a locker yet. And the LC's underbody is pretty clean and armored fairly well from factory (esp when compare to Lexus GX). LC underbody is cleaner than 4runner's. SO, 8.9" ground clearance is only PART of the equation when looking at underbody clearance. 8.9" is at the axle pumpkin. Get bigger tires if you need.

Last edited:
@grinchy yes me too, but I plan it that way so my tundra lives a long life, when my son is older he’ll have the tundra and the landcruiser will be mine. I agree lots of things will be going cheap soon but I want to have 2 vehicles(for me haha, wife has her nice RX), I want to be able to enjoy off-roading and not worry about anything going wrong because I’ll have the tundra ready to tow or drive back if I go too crazy on any trails. Those UTV’s are awesome but I’d rather own something else that can double as a mode of transportation and take my family to places many people only see from the pavement.

Ok you’re right there @Madtiger , Yea I wasn’t comparing angles from the tundra, only advantage the tundra has is stock ground clearance and more towing power. I like that the LC has a solid rear for the flex you’ve mentioned, only problem is to fix the bad approach and departure angles is to get expensive bumpers, look at all the serious wheelers with 200’s, no one has stock bumpers that’s what I mean about the angles otherwise everyone who Offroad’s they’re LC would keep it stock. But yea LC is still my top pick, I like that not a lot of people know about them and then to off-road one and blow their minds away is a good feeling, it’s a unique vehicle.

So you want to use your tundra to tow a 200 series to mild offroad trails? that seems a bit overkill and unnecessary since a 200 is also an excellent highway vehicle.

If you want to have the Tundra tow an offroad rig, why not build / buy something thats much better offroad than a 200?

Ok you’re right there @Madtiger , Yea I wasn’t comparing angles from the tundra, only advantage the tundra has is stock ground clearance and more towing power. I like that the LC has a solid rear for the flex you’ve mentioned, only problem is to fix the bad approach and departure angles is to get expensive bumpers, look at all the serious wheelers with 200’s, no one has stock bumpers that’s what I mean about the angles otherwise everyone who Offroad’s they’re LC would keep it stock. But yea LC is still my top pick, I like that not a lot of people know about them and then to off-road one and blow their minds away is a good feeling, it’s a unique vehicle.

And you go on a 4runner forum......everyone who really pounds their vehicle into rocks will have......expensive bumpers. I don't understand your view.

Again, LC anlges are same if not better than 4runner. So, if a stock 4runner can off-road over a trail (and trail is wide enough), then a stock LC can do the same, if not better...due to LC's superior suspension flex and cleaner underbody...and of course, much stronger components to suspension and frame.

No, it is NOT only the rear axle that gives LC's superior flex. LC has always had good flex due to superior suspension design...better than 4runners etc. But KDSS takes the flex to a whole different level. (On another note, LX570 suspension design is also fantastic!) But it is KDSS on LC that makes it special...because KDSS LC flex better than KDSS 4runner. LC suspension foundation is just superior to everything else Toyota designs. No exception.

BTW, i do off-road with my stock bumpers...heck, even my KO2 are stock size. My sliders are on the way though. I don't plan on getting bumpers ever. My off-roading is not about going to off-road park and bang around until something breaks. My off-roading is more about going to places and enjoying the view.

Great video to show a STOCK LC with highway tires can do:

About 1/2" of the ground clearance difference between the 200 and Tundra is the tires. The 200 has 285/60/18 vs a Tundra with 265/70/18. I know Tundra can run bigger off-road tires but the 200 has room to gain clearance with tires. So 200 could be around 9.5" with 265/70/18 tires.

Toyota’s shine as a highway vehicle and off-road. No point in trailering a 200 or 4runner if you ask me. My 98 LC has been on countless trails and has never left me stranded.

lift a 200 and put 33/34s and sliders and call it a day Check out what @kreiten pics of his rig. He does some bad A$$ stuff and his truck rocks stock bumpers

About 1/2" of the ground clearance difference between the 200 and Tundra is the tires. The 200 has 285/60/18 vs a Tundra with 265/70/18. I know Tundra can run bigger off-road tires but the 200 has room to gain clearance with tires. So 200 could be around 9.5" with 265/70/18 tires.

Ground clearance is only 1 thing. Tundra departure and breakover angles are just painfully bad.

Why not build out the Tundra?
spvrtan.png

@Madtiger i understand 4runner wheelers have expensive bumpers and such, what you’re not understanding is price difference, that’s where I’m coming from but I also understand the saying “you have to pay to play” when modifying a LC. I’ve seen the video you posted, anything crazier than that you have to get bumpers, and add bigger tires for clearance. Thanks @99Cruiser, @krice118 no doubt in a LC’d reliability, i won’t trailer it a lot but most of the time I would so I have an excuse to tow the tundra and put miles on it. @koifish thats a badass build and I would but, if I ever got to that point of your build I would need to get a diesel to trailer my tundra around, the tundra is great but heavy and a LC can only tow so much “safely”. That’s why the tundra will be the tow rig, it’s still fun to go fast in the desert with it and wide open trails.

@Madtiger i understand 4runner wheelers have expensive bumpers and such, what you’re not understanding is price difference, that’s where I’m coming from but I also understand the saying “you have to pay to play” when modifying a LC. I’ve seen the video you posted, anything crazier than that you have to get bumpers, and add bigger tires for clearance. Thanks @99Cruiser, @krice118 no doubt in a LC’d reliability, i won’t trailer it a lot but most of the time I would so I have an excuse to tow the tundra and put miles on it. @koifish thats a badass build and I would but, if I ever got to that point of your build I would need to get a diesel to trailer my tundra around, the tundra is great but heavy and a LC can only tow so much “safely”. That’s why the tundra will be the tow rig, it’s still fun to go fast in the desert with it and wide open trails.

How crazy are you planning to off-road? Do you off-road now? How much experience do you have?

@Madtiger been off-roading for about 4 years now but mostly desert trails, wide open and high speed stuff that I know the tundra can do. @89GASHOG , yea ive been patient and been saving, and it would make sense to get an fj cruiser make it long travel and do everything from high speed to crawling as it would cost so much less than a LC. Jeeps are great but don’t wanna build something that will break down and camp out at the shop.

Bumpers are not just approach and departure angle. It gives you a place for a winch and lights. I have a 200 and an FJ. The only mods to the 200 are a set of RW's and 33's. It has done shockingly well off road. I have been on trails where at the end the only thing I found were highly modified jeeps and me running boards and all. I have never used crawl control. If you drive decently well and choose a good line it is rare that you need it. If things get tougher or I don't want pinstripes on the 200 we take the FJ Cruiser. It has a rear locker, aftermarket bumper, skids and is lifted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom