Is my THROW OUT BEARING THE WRONG WAY ROUND? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same question. I got my (first) cruiser with all the clutch parts in a box. I didnt know how it came apart to know how to put it together.

I was able to glean from smarter MUDers than me that the completely flat surface of the TOB faces the transmission.

I drew up a sketch of how it goes. Dont be jealous. I draw a mean line in MS Word.
tob.png

First is a picture of my original TOB. In this picture you are looking at the side of the bearing that faces the transmission. In the second picture is the side that faces the clutch fingers.
attachment.php

attachment.php

the 3-speed TOB looks a little different but the completely flat side still faces the transmission.

this might be a good FAQ link

Last edited:
That is a good point except for the one style which I pictured above it would be easy to call both sides flat.... You then have to look at what end has the smooth roll to it...

Oh I see what you meant even on it the center is not flat all the way through the bearing face. The center has a break and then you can visually see the inner race.

Nevermind your right

pics

Wow thanks for all the pics

The convex side on mine is pretty subtle compared to some of them but it seems whatever the style there is a ring or rounded off section on the side towards the pressure plate

I guess i know what I got to do now, I really appreciate the posts, thanks!

bsmith123 - here is another pic of my new one (very similar to my old btw) installed in the correct orientation..I hope this helps.

IMG_1137.jpg

The hub is already persuaded on the back.

Brad

Dumb question, but when you reach up in there can you freely spin the TO bearing? It shouldnt spin freely like a bicycle wheel because of the grease in it, but it should be real easy to turn with just a finger. Sometimes the TO bearing will get damaged when its being pressed or pounded onto the carrier.

Yes it feels good, grease stiction like you say thats all but good point

Thanks for confirming the ops----you know I knew how a clutch works but you start doubting when things go wrong and you dont do it all the time

pics

I think whatever the TOB we may have it covered now, that should be helpful :)

I am still :crybaby: but I'd much rather roll my sleeves up and get er done than sit and wonder so this has been a big help

Sorry to hear I know how it feels to go OH CRUD but the good news is it will be over shortly !! I just cross my fingers that it was indeed installed backwards and you dont find it right side in after all that work!!

Here is my thought..... Walk into each and every parts house near your house and ask them to slap a new bearing up on the counter till you find your exact one! I just keep thinking about my old one that looks like yours and I have to say I dont think it would have turned easily by hand if it was on backwards unless you didnt have it seated verywell..... That point in itself really makes me wonder.... Sorry I probably am not helping at this point but I dont want to see you do all the work for nothing!!

EDIT - I should clarify if it was backwards the hub would be seated up against the turning surface where as the right side would have the inner race as seen in my cruddy pics....

TOB

Thanks again 4x and I appreciate you fighting polar bears to get the pics:)

If I had gone step by step in the manual I would maybe have had a question raised in my mind or if I had replaced a like type as the old I would of just copied

I remember it was quite a fight doing the trans and I was really worried about screwing up the pilot bearing and probably not paying enough attention to everything else

this time I may just rent a cherry picker

Nothing to do but dive in again, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom