Is it Worth Saving/ Should I buy it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking more about a simple trail truck that I can beat on. But looks like a clean and well-sorted truck can be had for about $10k. Perhaps it is time to start saving some more and look for better options in a couple of years

You might look at the Fj80/Fzj80 market as those trucks are a little newer and definitely some deals in your price range.

You might look at the Fj80/Fzj80 market as those trucks are a little newer and definitely some deals in your price range.
Thanks for the suggestion. I once went from 60 series to 80 series to 100 series process. I only stopped at 100 because 200 were stoooopid expensive. I like my 100 but I turn into a little kid every time I see a 60 :drool:

You say you don't weld, nor do bodywork, so I would definitely pass on that rust bucket! It needs way too much work.
If you're just after a trail beater, why not get a cheap domestic truck...
If you really want a 60 series, I agree with most of the other replies; spend more time searching, and a bit more $, and you'll find one in much better condition, that won't drain your bank account (as fast)!!

Check out the jeep chief. I love the lines on them and have been really amazed at how many of them are out there in decent shape at a lower price point than the 60’s

For $5,000 you don’t get 6 lug nuts per wheel? Hard pass.

You folks are very generous with your time and knowledge, I am very grateful for all the responses.
I don't think the seller will sell for anything less than 4 large and the collective wisdom seems to indicate that's just too much for its condition.
The search continues ...

As for the alternatives to a 60, I hear ya'll but I already have the next best thing, a 100 series that I beat on aplenty. It ain't no manual cruiser but it keeps the itch scratched!
IMG-20200121-WA0017_174201873873389.jpg
IMG-20200121-WA0018_174162334588820.jpg

You can find a better one for that price

Here you go. Buy it before I do. $1500.

FWIW, my rear channels are in the same condition and have been for the last 16 years with no signs of budging. Folks freak out like it’s covid-19. If it’s a beat around truck why spend 10k for a pristine frame you’re going to fill with mud anyway?

I would be curious about to what extent that frame is truly “compromised” other than just looking like sh. My 60 is also crusty underneath, so was my 40. Over time appears ok with cleaning, sweat equity, and proper rust protection, and I was always under impression that channels could be repaired if needed and so could hangers/shock mounts etc. So as long as structurally ok, perhaps something you can live with.. I would be more worried about the stuff you can’t see...like covered up roof “repairs” or window pillar crap.
Ps...my frame doused in fluid film looks better already :)

I would be curious about to what extent that frame is truly “compromised” other than just looking like sh. My 60 is also crusty underneath, so was my 40. Over time appears ok with cleaning, sweat equity, and proper rust protection, and I was always under impression that channels could be repaired if needed and so could hangers/shock mounts etc. So as long as structurally ok, perhaps something you can live with.. I would be more worried about the stuff you can’t see...like covered up roof “repairs” or window pillar crap.
Ps...my frame doused in fluid film looks better already :)
As far as I can tell it is solid to the touch, that is it doesn't crumble when you poke at it. The paint on the body appears original and doesn't look like it has any repairs or bondo.
The seller called last night asking if I am still interested. Told him $1500 is my max (it's listed at $5000). He doesn't want to sell for a anything less than $3k.
I think I will keep looking.

I'm late to the party here. Nothing new to add really, but just echoing what others have said. While I'll agree its probably a good starting point for someone with some serious skills, it would be a ton of work to get back to where I would want to be with it. There is no reality where this truck deserves $5000 though. That's over half of what I had to give for a wholly rust free example:

IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4763.jpg

Original AZ truck. While I have put several thousand into it with tons of sweat equity behind that to get it here, its still fairly original and over all a pretty good buy. This post is more to illustrate that better deals are out there if you are patient. This seems like just a deal that happened to come up which would have satisfied your hunger for a 60 series so I get taking a hard look at it. I wouldn't however underestimate the work involved in getting these to run reliably, even without dealing with all that rust. They are just a ton of work in ANY condition. Its just part of the deal with owning one. Not trying to talk you out of one, but just mentioning there will definitely be work involved. The one you are looking at would be above my skillset for what it would need to get right, and again guy is nuts if he thinks its a $5000 example. I am sure there will probably someone out there who will buy it at that price, but don't let it be you. There are just too many rust 'free' examples out there to deal with crusty frames and whatnot IMHO. Good luck in your search. HTH.

I'm late to the party here. Nothing new to add really, but just echoing what others have said. While I'll agree its probably a good starting point for someone with some serious skills, it would be a ton of work to get back to where I would want to be with it. There is no reality where this truck deserves $5000 though. That's over half of what I had to give for a wholly rust free example:

View attachment 2238253View attachment 2238254View attachment 2238257

Original AZ truck. While I have put several thousand into it with tons of sweat equity behind that to get it here, its still fairly original and over all a pretty good buy. This post is more to illustrate that better deals are out there if you are patient. This seems like just a deal that happened to come up which would have satisfied your hunger for a 60 series so I get taking a hard look at it. I wouldn't however underestimate the work involved in getting these to run reliably, even without dealing with all that rust. They are just a ton of work in ANY condition. Its just part of the deal with owning one. Not trying to talk you out of one, but just mentioning there will definitely be work involved. The one you are looking at would be above my skillset for what it would need to get right, and again guy is nuts if he thinks its a $5000 example. I am sure there will probably someone out there who will buy it at that price, but don't let it be you. There are just too many rust 'free' examples out there to deal with crusty frames and whatnot IMHO. Good luck in your search. HTH.
Yeah even at $3000 it is a ton of work. You folks out side rust belt get to enjoy all the rust free ones. Your truck is cleaner than even the 5 year old trucks here in Wi!!

You folks are very generous with your time and knowledge, I am very grateful for all the responses.
I don't think the seller will sell for anything less than 4 large and the collective wisdom seems to indicate that's just too much for its condition.
The search continues ...

As for the alternatives to a 60, I hear ya'll but I already have the next best thing, a 100 series that I beat on aplenty. It ain't no manual cruiser but it keeps the itch scratched!
View attachment 2236376View attachment 2236377
Is that at the Badlands in Indiana?

Good eye! Yes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom