Is it worth parting out a rolled over 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, a new 80 series owner and my first post here. I just bought a 96 LC that needs some work/parts and I found a local rolled over LC that they are trying to sell. My plan is to buy it, taking the parts I need from it and then try to sell the rest. The owner is asking $800 for the truck but there isn't a single panel that's not damaged. Interior all destroyed since it sat outside without windows for years. Not even sure if the engine runs or not.

What is the value on the engine, transimssion, axles, wheels...etc? Also, is there any parts that has a high value that I may not know of? Maybe parts I can keep as a spare for myself?

I can get the parts I need from a junk yard for around $250-$300

What is the value on the engine, transimssion, axles, wheels...etc? Also, is there any parts that has a high value that I may not know of?

If every panel is damaged from the rollover, I'd say axles are possibly questionable, maybe not?
That leaves motor and trans.
Interior and electrical sounds like it will be all junk, body is junk. What's left?

Personally, I'd go for the junkyard parts.
Parting out something that's 4/5 trashed is not worth the time or fuel to haul it home, unless it's something rare and highly sought after, which I don't think an 80 is.
I've parted out cars that were complete, and it's a PITA. You get guys haggling over a $20 part that they'd pay $40 for at a junkyard, or $120 from a dealership, then you strip a part and they don't pay.
You end up with a half stripped wreck sitting around for months, then you've got to store, or get rid of the remnants.

Do you have a place to disassemble, Time to Disassemble & List, and Store Parts....ie barn?
I'm sure you can make $800 plus, or you trying to recoup your time?
The understanding of how an 80 works and goes together would be a major +.

Pass. Too many questions.

my time is worth more $$$ than what I could get from pulling the trans/engine, tcase, driveshafts, etc.

If the axles are locked and not bent, it would be something I would consider.

If the axles are locked and not bent, it would be something I would consider.

Yes, but you're special. And you have a place to chop apart trucks.........and put them back together.......

I pulled this home the other day. Nothing really great on it as its a 3fe. But for 200$ it was hard to say no
20170526_175402.jpg

RF fender is set up perfectly for a snorkel!

If every panel is damaged from the rollover, I'd say axles are possibly questionable, maybe not?
That leaves motor and trans.
Interior and electrical sounds like it will be all junk, body is junk. What's left?

Personally, I'd go for the junkyard parts.
Parting out something that's 4/5 trashed is not worth the time or fuel to haul it home, unless it's something rare and highly sought after, which I don't think an 80 is.
I've parted out cars that were complete, and it's a PITA. You get guys haggling over a $20 part that they'd pay $40 for at a junkyard, or $120 from a dealership, then you strip a part and they don't pay.
You end up with a half stripped wreck sitting around for months, then you've got to store, or get rid of the remnants.

Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do. Just get the parts from the junk yard and get it over with. Thanks for the help.

Do you have a place to disassemble, Time to Disassemble & List, and Store Parts....ie barn?
I'm sure you can make $800 plus, or you trying to recoup your time?
The understanding of how an 80 works and goes together would be a major +.

My buddy has a big back yard that we can use. But unless it's really worth it I wouldn't want to use his back yard for it.

Not worth it. Pass on it, better options. All body panels and interior shot. It rolled so axles are questionable. Engine? Who knows. Pass.

Yeah there is really no way of testing anything. Under the hood it looks pretty terrible as well so I'm sure it's not gonna be in a perfect working condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom