Ironman 4x4 recovery points installation - what am I missing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a set on sale, these things are beefy!
I'm stuck on the driver side install, the instructions are a bit unclear and not model specific. There's a supplied "nut plate" they say to side inside the chassis rail, and the nuts on the plate are a different size than the hole/thread in the frame itself. There's also a weird bar sticking out of the plate that appears to be a spacer but the spacing is slightly off.

Do I need this plate at all, or can I just bolt it right to the frame like the passenger side? Attached are pics of the passenger side, instructions, plate next to frame, and frame holes.

2006 LX470 if it helps.

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

20200908_000233.jpg

20200908_000100.jpg

20200908_000026.jpg

20200908_000021.jpg

Picked up a set on sale, these things are beefy!
I'm stuck on the driver side install, the instructions are a bit unclear and not model specific. There's a supplied "nut plate" they say to side inside the chassis rail, and the nuts on the plate are a different size than the hole/thread in the frame itself. There's also a weird bar sticking out of the plate that appears to be a spacer but the spacing is slightly off.

Do I need this plate at all, or can I just bolt it right to the frame like the passenger side? Attached are pics of the passenger side, instructions, plate next to frame, and frame holes.

2006 LX470 if it helps.

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

View attachment 2429482

View attachment 2429483

View attachment 2429484

View attachment 2429485
How do you manage to get the stock tow point bolts off ? also, I assume these will fit the rear as well as the bolt spacing should to be the same ??

How do you manage to get the stock tow point bolts off ? also, I assume these will fit the rear as well as the bolt spacing should to be the same ??
Mine came off without too much fuss. I installed these at the same time as the TJM bumper. Some PB blaster and a breaker bar.

The tow points came off with a cheater bar + PB blaster + muscle. Wasn't terrible. For the rear I have a hitch-mount shackle thing for recovery so I haven't looked, TBH.

@Lalalx470 thanks for the pics, I wasn't sure on the non-lock washer either. The instructions left a lot to be desired for the less informed (like myself), but I figure people who have been doing this a while know how to do it blindfolded and don't need the manual. Having extra bolts + plates in the box did not help my confusion.

Is anyone running these on an Ironman bumper? The bolts sent with both the bumper and the recovery points are too short. I can get like 2 threads on with no washer.

I'll also bump this thread to determine if they'll fit a late-year ARB deluxe bumper without any spacers required?

I'll also bump this thread to determine if they'll fit a late-year ARB deluxe bumper without any spacers required?

They wont. You'll need to either cut the back of the bumper mount or use a lot of spacers for them to fit.

My problem with the instructions is that it calls for a torque wrench as one of the required tools but doesn’t anywhere in the instructions give you a torque spec. Guess I’ll be trying to look up the standard torque for this type of bolt.

My problem with the instructions is that it calls for a torque wrench as one of the required tools but doesn’t anywhere in the instructions give you a torque spec. Guess I’ll be trying to look up the standard torque for this type of bolt.
“Pretty tight” is close enough. The load on those bolts is all shear when you are pulling on them.

The stock recovery points look almost identical to these except they are black, am I missing something?

The stock recovery points look almost identical to these except they are black, am I missing something?

The stock attachment points are just for tie down during transport. The Ironman points are rated recovery points which can be used to free a stuck vehicle. The Ironman points are about twice as thick as the stock points.

The stock attachment points are just for tie down during transport. The Ironman points are rated recovery points which can be used to free a stuck vehicle. The Ironman points are about twice as thick as the stock points.
I guess I don’t care for the red paint but it’s there for a reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom