Intro - new FZJ80 owner in Raleigh - and build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I bought a 94 FZJ80 a few months ago to get offroad and do some camping / mountain biking. Advertised as "california truck, no rust, no issues", picked it up, then...

removed all the rusty parts from the truck, fixed a few small surface rust spots, rebuilt the knuckles, replaced diff fluids, fixed some electrical issues, a vacuum leak and some water leaks. So now I'm excited to get the truck out on the trails.

Other than some offroad in my buddy's CJ7 back in high school and an XJ I had for a couple years in the 90s, I haven't been anywhere more difficult than some north GA fire roads in a car. Can anyone point a new guy to some local trails to get a feel for a stock truck and some trails where I can do some camping? I'm thinking Uwharrie is probably a good start, but I don't know what trails would be good for a beginner.

Thanks!

Welcome ,

As far as URE goes, stay off of in the trails that start with the letter D. and you shouldn't suffer any damage
I.e , Daniel, Dutch John, Dickie Bell.

Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like you hit the ground running with your baseline strategy!

Yes, Uwharrie is the most common place for both. They have a decent trail difficulty rating system, but folks here with 80s / wagons can give you some additional guidance on ones that increase potential body damage.

Uwharrie is closed until April though.

Welcome. As mentioned above Uwharrie is the local spot but western NC/ eastern TN has some good trails accessible right off I-40. Also, further west is Windrock Park in Oakridge, TN (west of Knoxville). And if you like sand then the north end of Carolina Beach and Corolla NC is fun. I've been wanting to check out Jefferson National Forest in SW VA- heard good things about that area.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Are there any offroading trails in croatan? I've backpacked there and it seems like it'd be a nice place to start with if there's any offroad stuff.

Welcome! We need pictures or it didn't happen:grinpimp:. There's also work days usually the 3rd weekends on saturday of each month that you can attend to help clean the trails but also do annual maintenance to them to keep people on the trails with installing guardrail or wooden fencing. or going around on the trails with a trash bag and picking up trash that people throw on the trails and install signs with information like trail numbers, where vehicles are allowed and not, etc. This months work day is cancelled but the next one shouldn't be unless stated otherwise which is February 23rd.

People post up often if they are going on a Uwharrie trip or hurricane creek trip for people to tag along.

Also as long as you don't follow me on the trails you shouldn't suffer any damage... Pretty sure others could agree with that statement with my wheeling adventures lately:steer:

Welcome Billrat.

Its true. As long as you pick a better line than Garrett you shouldnt do much damage at Uwharrie :lol:

Lots of forest service roads to explore in the national forests as well.

I have a shovel and gloves... Sign me up. I'm not against working for my fun.

Some pics. A bit beat up, but everything works. Day of purchase. It'd run over my wife's mini and not feel it. Complete with factory anti glare coating on the hood.

IMG_20181110_160004.jpg

Some fun in the snow

IMG_20181209_092033.jpg

As it sits now minus the rusty stuff.

IMG_20190103_124033.jpg

Croatan, Alligator River, and Holly Shelter has a lot of sand/dirt forest roads that will just get you out in the wild but nothing technical. I've been on the latter 2, but not Croatan. Saw a bunch of black bear out in Alligator River but no other vehicles. Was hoping to see some of the bombing range, but it was gated off.

Welcome! '94 is the best year for an 80 BTW! :grinpimp:
Welcome! and everyone knows 95 is the best year for the 80 series. We got MAF, OBD1.5, and don't have to deal with emissions.

but everyone know the 95 is just a little bit slower then a 94

Heather has a 95.................

Welcome Billrat.

Its true. As long as you pick a better line than Garrett you shouldnt do much damage at Uwharrie :lol:

Lots of forest service roads to explore in the national forests as well.

On my behalf i partly blame my spotter for my wall hitting damage:coffee:

On my behalf i partly blame my spotter for my wall hitting damage:coffee:

When in doubt, blame the spotter :) Been there though, spotted right into a rock.

I’ve always been partial to the ‘94 year myself. Better transmission, bigger but admittedly maybe not stronger lower control arms, neither my ‘93 or my ‘94 ever threw a CEL, no airbags to worry about off road, factory front bumper doesn’t stick out as much, and I personally prefer the older dash layout and steering wheel. YMMV.

Welcome @Blilrat !!

Sweet 80!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom