Intro: My $2,700 '03 Tundra (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey! I've owned 5 Land Cruisers over the years and decided it's time for a truck. I've been watching the '02 to '06 Tundras for over a year now, waiting for the right truck/mileage/price combo to come along. I'm not sure this was it, but I jumped on it and now it's mine.

-2003 SR5 TRD 4.7L Extended cab, in black, 324k miles.
-Currently has beat up 17" rims with 33x12.5x17" tires that are cupped and have uneven wear. Seller picked them up and threw them in for the sale, don't know how the old tires looked.
-Driver's door skin is separating at the bottom seam. It looks like a botched DIY dent repair.
-The interior isn't great, but it's not awful.
-There is a squeak at the serpentine belt. Idler is clearly making noise, but might be the water pump.
-frame is great
-some rust holes in the bed floor
-engine and trans seem powerful and smooth
-exhaust leak on PS just after the header
-needs a new steering wheel

I need to do better with photos. Here's my walk around.

That's what I know! I'm learning about Tundras all fresh and I'm looking forward to getting to know this group in the "other" part of the IH8MUD universe.

received_295022866526088.jpeg

Plans:
My expectations for a low cost truck are about $2,400 in cost per year. Calculated over the time I have the truck. (Purchase $ + repairs beyond normal maintenance - residual value when I'm done with it. All divided by the time I've owned it.) I figure for about $2,700 purchase $ + $3,200 repairs/deferred maintenance I can make this a pleasant and reliable daily driver/weekend warrior. This is NOT a restoration project or buggy build and we've all already found our partners in life, not trying to impress a potential mate, or the guys at Home Depot.

Daily driver, do truck stuff, and share with my adult kids for off-road adventures and generally keep up with my 80 series on moderate trails. Stuff where 33" tires and a 2-3" lift is good enough.

I didn't see an FAQ for Tundras. I appreciate guidance and/or links to your favorite informative threads.

I'm looking at Cooper tires and sticking with 17" rims, but getting new ones. Nothing fancy, just decent steelies.

I'll need a new DS door and steering wheel, carpet kit, seat covers.

I'll have a shop find the offending pulley/components at the belt and charge me to fix those.

I'm off to search out recommendations on these and fluids and everything else.

Thanks for looking in!

Welcome to the Tundra / Sequoia section :flipoff2:

Now that we have that out of the way, congrats on the new truck. Quite a few of us “regulars” in this section have come from the LC world too, so you’re not alone. The engine and tranny in your truck is the same as in the 100 series, so that info crosses over if you find intel in the 100 section.

Cooper tires are great. AT3 XLTs if you want more streetable, or ST Maxx if you want more “truck” oriented. I have a 3” lift in my ‘03 Sequoia and 275/70-18s fit without rubbing. I’d stick with 17s if doing it again.

My go-to seat covers are Wet Okole. They might be more “coast” oriented being neoprene, but they are super durable and fit amazingly well. They are custom made to order, so color etc options are huge.

And yes, a photo or two is always nice. Videos are great, but photos are easier for a quick read.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with it.

Oh, and my Sequoia is making the same squeak and I also think it’s the idler pulley.

Thanks for the link JG. My TB and water pump were done not long ago, so I’m hoping it’s just the idler.

Welcome to the forum, try FB Marketplace for used tires if the new one's are too pricey initially. I have found some great deals including a BF Goodrich tire almost new for $10 (LT 265/75R16) in Riverton, Utah.

I got my ‘07 Tundra RCLB for $1000. It was a construction company throw away.
I went on www.tundras.com. Got more help than I could use, and really good people on that
forum.
Pound Puppy Rescue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom