Intermittent VSS/Speedo issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
Scratching my head a bit.

The other day my speedo died and CEL/VSS lights went on. Pulled the code, P0500, easy peasy to replace the VSS on the transfer case.

Here's where it's weird- the speedo isn't completely dead- it'll bounce to life here and there, get stuck at a certain speed, die all the way, repeat. It's not a quick cycle, this all happens through the course of a day. When I replaced the VSS, the speedometer worked again as soon as I started driving. Now it's dead again. Tach works, cruise does not.

I've evidently lost all of my fuse pullers and needle-noses, so I'll pick some up today to check the driver's footwell fuses. I'm also going to disconnect my yellow box to rule that out. Besides that, what else should I be testing to find the problem? When searching, I found there is a second VSS on the transmission- what can I do to test that? Is it the same part as the transfer case sensor? A few months back I lost speedo and tach due to a faulty cluster connection. That was an easy enough fix and I'd do it again, but I didn't have the idiot lights on the dash from it so I'm thinking this may just be a coincidence/separate issue?

Pics for posterity:

20190412_180313.jpg

20190412_194858.jpg

20190330_134258.jpg

Figured I'd update. I disconnected my yellowbox module and did a battery reset. All worked fine. Speedo was off, approriately, but it worked and lights were gone. Reconnected my yellowbox and now everything is working and speedo is accurate again.

So moral of the story, when you're gonna replace your VSS, just disconnect the battery when you start the job and reconnect 5 minutes later when you're done replacing the sensor. It seems the scanner my local shop had to delete the code didn't really do it all the way (?).

How long ago did you install the yellow box?

I spoke too soon. The speedo worked over the weekend but just died on my commute this morning.

What else can I be looking for to resolve this? I know the cluster is good and has power. I would assume the VSS is operational given that it has been sending signal. I know the fuses in the kick panel are good. I'll try another battery reset this evening and see if that is a consistent temporary fix.

Remove the yellow box for a week or two and see if that cures the problem.

I can do that easy enough.

Adding confusion, the speedometer worked immediately after my last post but lights were still on.

If you have tech stream- you can dive into the ECU to see what's going on and then clear the DTC. Some handheld units will reset the light but won't wipe the DTC.

Its prob unrelated but the yellow box could be causing your speed sensor some issues that has taken a little while to appear, or maybe you have a bad/cracked abs sensor at one of the wheels. Running with out the yellow box for a while may help rule the box in or out.

I don't have techstream. At least, not as of this moment. I keep finding new reasons to pick up a cable and a spare laptop, though. Guess I should go ahead and do that.

Funny enough, the car corrected everything itself yesterday. I hate when that happens, because I'll have this lingering feeling of a problem about to rise up. Oh well, for now we're rollin'.

Since this is the most current thread discussing similar issues that I am having (no speedo on cold days) I'll ask here. Is the VSS just unbolt and slide straight out and then reinstall the new unit the same way? Grease on the teeth or the o-ring?

Since this is the most current thread discussing similar issues that I am having (no speedo on cold days) I'll ask here. Is the VSS just unbolt and slide straight out and then reinstall the new unit the same way? Grease on the teeth or the o-ring?

Correct. It's a very easy swap. Ten minutes including hand washing.

Add me to this list. Speedometer is out. I was told it's in the cluster. Anyone had this issue?

I have an intermittent speedo issues, works most of the time and jumps around or stops working when hot. I haven't done anything yet to diagnose. I did read a thread in the past about someone who had intermittent speedo issues. They took theirs to a Toyota dealership to try and get it fixed. After a few tries they finally got it fixed. Turns out one of the ground wires on the instrument cluster was broken. Once they fixed the ground everything worked OK.

My speedometer still takes days off and I have no idea why.

I'd say about 80% of the time, it's fine and the yellowbox module (a new one) corrects the speed. Sometimes the speedometer shows uncorrected speed (rare). Sometimes the speedometer just doesn't work.

Cruise still works, though. As do the trip computers. So, I think I can rule out any signal issues. I think I have a weird issue in the cluster that presents itself with zero consistency or repeatability whatsoever. It's kind of annoying.

Whatever it's triple locked I still win.

My speedometer still takes days off and I have no idea why.

I'd say about 80% of the time, it's fine and the yellowbox module (a new one) corrects the speed. Sometimes the speedometer shows uncorrected speed (rare). Sometimes the speedometer just doesn't work.

Cruise still works, though. As do the trip computers. So, I think I can rule out any signal issues. I think I have a weird issue in the cluster that presents itself with zero consistency or repeatability whatsoever. It's kind of annoying.

Whatever it's triple locked I still win.
Have you put any dents in those purty aluminum skids yet?

Add me to this list. Speedometer is out. I was told it's in the cluster. Anyone had this issue?
I think the technical term for it is Cluster*uck :rimshot:

I was having intermittent speedometer issues, then a full failure. Had the TrueSpeed speedometer corrector installed in the glovebox. I removed it and haven't had an issue in 10 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom