Intermittent VSS/Speedo issues (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have tried for a couple days to get the VSS out of the transmission to no avail. The first time the garage and truck where cold (40 degrees or so), pulled the bolt and tried to just pull it out, Then I tried to gently pry it from the back with a small flathead in several places. When that did not work I sprayed some PB blaster on it and let it sit over night. Thinking the cold temps might have been the problem I ran the truck for a bit let the exhaust cool off and have been running the garage heater so the temps are in the 50s. The VSS will not come out even using a larger screwdriver leveraged from behind. Am I missing something?

You aren't missing something, you have an abundance, probably too much, of something.

Years and years of gunk buildup holding stuff in place.

doesn't look terribly gunked up.

PXL_20210113_235134177.jpg

Plastic will expand much more vs. metal when heated. Not so sure heat is the correct approach?

Given the above fact, cold may work better, if you can make it happen.

Is this the actually the transmission or the center differential we’re looking at? I could be mistaken but I’m thinking center diff
It is on the center diff, correct. Tried again today with 2 screw driver behind the screw tabs to try and pry it out with more even straight out pressure and still no movement. I guess I will just keep soaking it in PB blaster and trying it every few days.

Last edited:
It is on the center diff, correct. Tried again today with 2 screw driver behind the screw tabs to try and pry it out with more even straight out pressure and still no movement. I guess I will just keep soaking it in PB blaster and trying it every few days.
The VSS has a gear with teeth on the end of it that fits inside another gear with teeth located inside the diff. Maybe trying to rotate the Vss housing slightly each way before prying or even while prying if you have extra helping hand would help the process. Another way could be to grab the housing with channel locks and pull it straight out while rocking it side to side. Be sure to clean up hole and lube everything with gear oil prior to reinserting VSS once you get it removed. Good luck

Replaced mine. Now working speedometer. Here’s photo of old vs new
9577D642-9230-4A95-9358-2551CB987746.jpeg

Fun note: you can replace the gear if that’s worn out and don’t need to replace whole sensor: part numbers for both
83181-12020 Vehicle Speed Sensor
33403-69305 Gear Sub Assembly Speed

I was finally able to get the VSS replaced but its doing the same thing on cold mornings. I guess the next thing is to double check fuses and pull and reinstall the cluster after checking all connections and grounds.
You have an 02 correct? When the speedo drops out does the cruise control keep working? If you monitor real-time with something like Techstream, does the ECU still get and properly reports the speed signal when the speedo goes out?

Wondering if you have an issue with the actual speedo in the cluster, or the signal gets dropped earlier than the cluster.

You have an 02 correct? When the speedo drops out does the cruise control keep working? If you monitor real-time with something like Techstream, does the ECU still get and properly reports the speed signal when the speedo goes out?

Wondering if you have an issue with the actual speedo in the cluster, or the signal gets dropped earlier than the cluster.
Yes It's an 02. When the truck is cold there is no Speedo or Odometer and the Scanguage does not report mileage. The cruise control does not work either. I'll have to blow the dust of the ol' Laptop and get techstream going again. Once it reaches normal operating temp everything comes back.

View attachment 2555341

Fun note: you can replace the gear if that’s worn out and don’t need to replace whole sensor: part numbers for both
Wow my old one didn't look even close to that worn down. What's your mileage?

OK if cruise control stops working, I suspect it may not be the actual sub-assembly in the cluster. I'd be surprised if the cruise control signal is wired to get it's info (to operate properly) from the speedo sub-assembly and not the ECU. It makes me wonder if a pin in a wiring harness is just a bit dodgy

View attachment 2555341

My old one with 155k on the clock.
VSS - Old.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom