Intermittent power to climate control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading through a few posts and not really finding any definitive answers, I thought I should just make a post and ask. I have a 98 lx470 that recently developed a loss of power or maybe a bad ground to the climate control unit. Both the temperature sensor for outside temp and the climate control will not start up when starting the car sometimes and Im not sure why its happening. I plan on going through the fuses and checking to see if one of the pins is not getting proper power to it. I had the head unit rebuilt to try and fix the problem but nothing changed. I also had the control module on the rear a/c unit checked and was told by the guy who rebuilt the climate control unit that the connections are all good. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should check or has anyone had this problem before?

Also, does anyone have a pinout diagram or wiring diagram for the climate control unit?

I have experienced complete loss of climate control operation in extreme cold with a very low charged battery after my truck was sitting for some time battery and drained to the point of needing a jump. After about 15-20 minutes of running it started running.

Have you tested the battery and inspected/tested the battery cables ? Ground problems are often in the battery cable.

I have experienced complete loss of climate control operation in extreme cold with a very low charged battery after my truck was sitting for some time battery and drained to the point of needing a jump. After about 15-20 minutes of running it started running.

Have you tested the battery and inspected/tested the battery cables ? Ground problems are often in the battery cable.
I checked the battery/fusible link fuses which seemed a bit corroded so I replaced them and cleaned all of the connections on the battery ground and cables. I also went through the fuses which were all good. There was no resistance across the battery/cables and the battery was 12.6v. The climate control unit still doesn’t want to come on.

IMG_9729.jpeg

IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

IMG_9732.jpeg

The main ground cables seemed a little corroded so I got the three upgraded ground cables from a member on here but Im still having the same issue with the climate control. Any ideas before digging into the wiring behind the dash?
IMG_9982.jpeg

I’ve also noticed turning the lx on and off sometimes gets it turn back on but not every time.

@nk452, did you ever chase this gremlin down? I started having similar issues with mine back in January; I've noticed, too, that turning the car on and off again seems to do the trick from time to time. For me the issue seems to be heat related, in Jan I was driving back from skiing and had the floor heat roaring for about an hour into my trip and all display functions on the module stopped and lights turned off but the heat / blower was still going. Sourcing a replacement module for this I think is going to be challenging.

@nk452, did you ever chase this gremlin down? I started having similar issues with mine back in January; I've noticed, too, that turning the car on and off again seems to do the trick from time to time. For me the issue seems to be heat related, in Jan I was driving back from skiing and had the floor heat roaring for about an hour into my trip and all display functions on the module stopped and lights turned off but the heat / blower was still going. Sourcing a replacement module for this I think is going to be challenging.
No I have not found the issue yet. When mine cuts out, the fans and everything else cuts out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom