Interested buyer/ climate controls question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.scottparsley.com
I'm currently feeling out the market for a 100 series. In your owners opinion how important is the non LCD/touch screen control of the AC/Heat. My concern is the touch screen failure. I'm much more inclined to consider Cruisers with the knobs as opposed to the touch screen. Am I crazy?

I have an lx with the touch screen. It's an 01 with 455k miles. IT still works fine. The screen started doing this weird thing where the anti glare coating was peeling off of it. The touch functions never stopped working though. I ordered a new lcd through alibaba and it looks good as new again. From what I have heard touch screen failures are extremely rare. It does make it more difficult if you plan to go aftermarket though.

There are a couple of threads where people have outlined how to take a navigation equipped vehicle and convert it to a non-navigation equipped. Lots of people are interested in the "downgrade" and it can cost $1-2k. I think that's compelling enough to find a vehicle without navigation.

There are a couple of threads where people have outlined how to take a navigation equipped vehicle and convert it to a non-navigation equipped. Lots of people are interested in the "downgrade" and it can cost $1-2k. I think that's compelling enough to find a vehicle without navigation.
Been looking into this myself, I think the $1-2k is probably spot on for all new parts (if you can find them), but there is a guy on the UZJ100 FB page that sells takeoffs from GCC trucks for $550 shipped to the US. Only thing stopping me is the fact the temp readout on the climate control unit only shows in *C.

Factor in a good head unit, the used controls, and the time needed to do the install and I think you could come in below $1k.

Been looking into this myself, I think the $1-2k is probably spot on for all new parts (if you can find them), but there is a guy on the UZJ100 FB page that sells takeoffs from GCC trucks for $550 shipped to the US. Only thing stopping me is the fact the temp readout on the climate control unit only shows in *C.

Factor in a good head unit, the used controls, and the time needed to do the install and I think you could come in below $1k.

I've communicated with him before. You need to make sure you're getting the right ac amp for your application. I have an '06 and it seems like what he's had in the past doesn't have the ac amp that would work with my vehicle.

But that is a good point. It can be done for less.

Not having the touch screen is one less thing to worry about breaking. That will be the general advice given here.

On the flipside mine is still working fine. Maybe ones that are subject to more heat / sunlight may fail more often? Who knows, don't let that be a reason to not purchase. Look for minimal rust and maximum maintenance history .

Wouldn't even consider a model without the 5spd transmission, so no, I guess. Didn't and doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure that's changeable in the menu.

Learning a measurement system that the rest of the world uses probably isn't the worst thing.

I'm pretty sure that's changeable in the menu.
Not for the lower readout, the temp you set will only be in C. Not a terrible thing but turned me off for conformity sake

My Cruiser spent most of its life in CA and has faded paint, crusty leather, dried out rubber to prove it. Touch screen is still perfectly fine so far.

When I was in the market I liked the idea of finding a non-nav, but I really preferred the 5-speed, not many check both the boxes.

I miss knobs and maybe after a few other items the nav-delete will make the list, I think the 1-2k is reasonable for a full OEM non-nav setup, I don't know how hard some of the parts are to source.

Finding an 03 or later without Nav is near impossible in the U.S. I'm undergoing the NAV delete in my 07 right now. I'm in the parts sourcing part of the journey. I'm not looking forward to the rewiring part of the journey.

Not for the lower readout, the temp you set will only be in C. Not a terrible thing but turned me off for conformity sake
You can buy the toyota part, the lower circuit board and plastic cover, and have Fahrenheit. Sell the right hand drive lower to someone else and use the upper section-all the rest of the parts.

Upper computer goes F and/or C.

The real reason to get parts from that FB guy is the AC amp, AC amp box, and the brackets + vents for LX people. The rest you can buy new if you want to spend money.
But he's selling the 60810 ac amp. So there is that uncertainty. It's working in later 100s from what I know.

Have a 2004 LC with 327k on the clock, zero issues with touchscreen. But my A/C controls are separate and underneath.

I'm currently feeling out the market for a 100 series. In your owners opinion how important is the non LCD/touch screen control of the AC/Heat. My concern is the touch screen failure. I'm much more inclined to consider Cruisers with the knobs as opposed to the touch screen. Am I crazy?
I've owned a couple 100's. I had failures in the old school knobs in my 99.

My 06 has the touchscreen. Never had a single issue.

I would not let the screen away you either way.

5 speed trans is way more important...

Normally people doing that are doing so to fit a fancy aftermarket stereo. Not to avoid the touchscreen, perse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom