Intermittent crank with no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the last week my 1994 has a crank but no fire condition after so many starts.

Today I unplugged the fuel pump relay and jumped the fuel pump to 12v. The return line on the pressure regulator sprayed fuel.

Plugged in relay, cranked and no fuel spray.

I took apart the relay and didn't notice any pitting or corrosion.

I tried jumping the fuel pump relay at 30 and power to no avail.

My plug wires are autolite and really thin. Don't know if it matters but I happened to start it in the dark tonight and the wires were flashing and glowing through the insulation!!!! Could these wires be affecting the no start issue?

Any ideas of where I need to focus next?

Thanks for any help...

Will

Last edited:
The fuel pressure regulator had gas passing into the vacuum side.

I replaced it tonight with a new one.

Is it possible for a leak in the fuel pressure reg to cause the system to lose its prime?

Since this thread is soo popular im gonna make it my trucks thread from here out. :flipoff2:

Heres a pic of the truck

lcflorence.jpg

As much as i lked the look of the steel wheels and km2s, i put michelin LTXs on stock alloy wheels for street drivability. Im planning on some sliders in the next few weeks now that its cooling off out here in Az.

I would be concerened about seeing the wires light up and replace with OEM

There is an FAQ item on emergency start procedures that go through the various problems when you cant start a vehicle.

Yeah that helped thanks for taking the time to post that procedure Romer.

Last edited:
I thanked Romer for creating the file...its been read. The problem isnt all the time. Im trying to fid the cause and so far no luck.

Last edited:
Easy there Frank!

I thanked Romer for creating the file...its been read. The problem isnt all the time. Im trying to fid the cause and so far no luck.

Intermittant problems smells of poor grounding or loose/coroded wires

I would get a DVM and measure from the battery to chassis

What I am getting from your posts up to now is you have spark, you crank fine, but the intemittant problem is Fuel. Is that correct? Yet, when you splice in 12V to the relay it always works

I would measure the voltages of the signals going to the relay to make sure they are not marginal

Do you have a WDS to trace the wiring path back from the relay?

The problem finally led to no spark on Friday so I tested the primary on the coil and there is no resistance so I'm hoping the problem was the coil all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom