intermittent clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
89 fj62. Just heard it today, a clunk in my rear end. When turning. D shaft is balanced recently and u joints are good. Its all greased well. The slip yoke may not be greased enough..... I'll check it. Seems to happen more on hard turns. Any insight?

What was going on when you heard it? I know that I have an intermittent suspension clunk coming from my front passenger spring. This is the sound of either the bushing being warn and the pin sliding around OR the leaves slipping/sliding when there is directional torsion.

I was turning, not sure if it happens left and right. Pulling into a parking spot and pulling into my garage. Both were left hand turns. I think it happened turning right also, now that I think of it.

Hasn't happened before today, and it was a very cold rainy day. Most of both this year so far. Could that be a factor?

Rear sway bar links shifting?, body mounts? some, stiff cold rubber can do that, or leafs as mentioned.

Don't know what your suspension setup is but a buddy's front Dakar springs where shifting around, I guess it's possible for the same to happen on the rear.

He did a write-up on www.thewagonway.com

Also possible you don't have enough gear oil in there.

... and it was a very cold rainy day. Most of both this year so far. Could that be a factor?

Hose down the leaf springs with water. Go for a drive. If you hear more clunking than before the spray down, the clunking is the leafs shifting on top of each other. "Normal".

X2 on your shackle bushings likely being cracked or worn, allowing the spring eye to hit against the pins.

Cheap fix and will improve your handling.

That sounds exactly like it. I think I've narrowed my suspension setup to something that came from maf years ago. So not sure of the spring brand.

I drove around a little this morning, took a couple hard lefts and rights, no sound except the usual creaking.

I'm doing an hell creek kit in a few weeks, so well see what new springs bushing and shocks do for my clunks and creaks. Thanks for all the replys. I'm gonna check my did fluid too, since that was mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom