Intermittent No Start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The past few times I've driven my 60, I'll park, turn it off, and try to start a few minutes later. Turn the key and all I hear is the solenoid click. Nothing happens. I go back and forth of knocking on the starter with something and trying to crank it. Eventually, it starts. I'm not sure if me hitting the starter solenoid has anything to do with it or if the starter is going out, or if it's the ignition switch.

Going through old posts, I've all these as the potential culprit, but haven't found out where I should check first and how? The previous owner just installed an OEM starter before I bought it and it looks brand new.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Check the ground, I have this problem all the time and its my battery terminals getting loose. Just tighten them. If the issue persists then your on the right track assuming its the starter solenoid.

Check the ground, I have this problem all the time and its my battery terminals getting loose. Just tighten them. If the issue persists then your on the right track assuming its the starter solenoid.
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Just went out there and tightened them back up. B+ may have been a little loose so I added a washer to make it tighter.

Will report back when I drive it again. AC works, but it's no match for 115* heat index right now!

Do you have a test light? put the clip on the battery ground and put the top on the starter cable post Does it light up? now, have someone crank the starter. Does the light dim? or does it stay bright? MOST likely the brush length is at the end of life and there is hardly enough spring pressure pressing on really short brushes. Also when some one is rotating the ignition key from run to start put the hand on the starter solenoid. Do you feel a mechanical jolt/click? That means the solenoid is working. How old is the starter? perhaps its time to have it removed tested and possibly rebuilt. check ground to!
The problem with this is the issue is intermittent. Going to be hard to diagnose this way, but I'll try when/if this happens again.

The starter is about a year old. When this issues happens, I can tell the drain on the battery when the click happens. I can also feel the click so the solenoid is working. Hopefully it's just a loose terminal. I'll also check my ground on the frame again.

I think @kody472 is already on the right track. I would be amazed to find an FJ60 that doesnt dim when its being started.
If your so inclined you can take the starter to autozone where they can test it on a bench and tell you for certain the starter is bad or not, but that's the last thing I'd do.

@The Analyst A new 1 year old starter would rarely have bad brushes, Toyota actually makes a new starter that supersedes the old one if your so inclined to upgrade, you can get one at a dealership. I wouldn't jump to an alternator issue just yet as @kody472 can start the car after hitting the starter as he's mentioned. This sounds to me like this issue is localized between the starter and the battery.

Years ago when I was in training at an auto repair shop, I was having a starter issue and brought it up to the trainer who had his ASE cert in electrical systems. If I remember correctly (And somebody correct me if im wrong), He said that a poor connection to the starter where there is current flow but not enough current is supplied to the starter motor to overcome the breakaway torque will cause the starter to short internally causing premature failure.

I fixed my ground connection and haven't had another starter issue since. Good Grounds save starters! lol

Last edited:
The past few times I've driven my 60, I'll park, turn it off, and try to start a few minutes later. Turn the key and all I hear is the solenoid click. Nothing happens. I go back and forth of knocking on the starter with something and trying to crank it. Eventually, it starts. I'm not sure if me hitting the starter solenoid has anything to do with it or if the starter is going out, or if it's the ignition switch.

Going through old posts, I've all these as the potential culprit, but haven't found out where I should check first and how? The previous owner just installed an OEM starter before I bought it and it looks brand new.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

FJ60/FJ62 Heavy Duty Battery Cable Sets​

Search for this post/thread if you need to upgrade battery cables….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom