I gotta clunk... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, clunk buddy. If this turns into a rebuild party you're bringing the beer.
All good!

Have already priced a steering box rebuild, $260 to start. Just received knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Teq this afternoon but am not tearing into it until I figure out if this is a birfield. Maybe not since it does it regardless of if I'm moving.

Prelim search also turns up possible u-joint on the steering column, or other assorted ball joints and so on. Admitting I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting yet.

could be tie rod end off of the pitman arm, mines doin it and is almost pulling apart, new ones on the way

All good!

Have already priced a steering box rebuild, $260 to start. Just received knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Teq this afternoon but am not tearing into it until I figure out if this is a birfield. Maybe not since it does it regardless of if I'm moving.

Prelim search also turns up possible u-joint on the steering column, or other assorted ball joints and so on. Admitting I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting yet

I'll say that rebuilding that steering box is mostly a waste of time if you've got larger tires and/or a lift on her. You can pretty easily swap the box from the 80 in for it and will be VERY happy you did. No need for super expensive aftermarket stuff unless you've got some crazy setup but the 60 box will just keep leaking on you. The 80 is much beefier and will last you a helluva lot longer.

I had a really great experience with Cruiseryard.com (and it turns out they're just down the road from me). Sent in my busted 60 core towards a rebuilt 80. He was super helpful with the details too.

I'll say that rebuilding that steering box is mostly a waste of time if you've got larger tires and/or a lift on her. You can pretty easily swap the box from the 80 in for it and will be VERY happy you did. No need for super expensive aftermarket stuff unless you've got some crazy setup but the 60 box will just keep leaking on you. The 80 is much beefier and will last you a helluva lot longer.

I had a really great experience with Cruiseryard.com (and it turns out they're just down the road from me). Sent in my busted 60 core towards a rebuilt 80. He was super helpful with the details too.
No lift, running it stock and planning to keep it that way. Don't mind putting in an 80 box if it's a direct fit (and it comes to that, not sure if it will yet), probably easier to get than a new 60/62 box. Will do a little research.

This is (one of) my problems, just checked it.

Next question is, do I replace springs or just the bushings…?
If the springs arent flat or cracked I would just do the bushings, Its a perfect time to upgrade if you're in the market though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom