Interior spare tire mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lots of talk in this forum about spare tires. I've searched, but haven't seen any discussion on this particular branch of the tree.

I just got a set of four Falken AT3W 265/70r17, and have a matching spare mounted on a narrower 17x7 steely coming later this week. I highly doubt it'll fit underneath, so I'm considering my options. I've been cursing the 3rd row since I got the truck last fall, so in the back of my mind I've pictured the spare under a false floor, like your typical sedan. Now that I have the tires and see their size, I'm rethinking everything. Given my dislike of the load hight with the 3rd row installed, I think the false floor idea would only make that problem even worse even if it's the best solution cosmetically. So that has me leaning toward an upright mount like my old Jeep XJ.

I've seen a GX470 with an upright mount, as well as a 5th gen T4R, and had considered buying Phil's tire mount for my old 80, but I've seen nothing yet for the 460 specifically. Is anyone running an upright spare tire mount in their cargo area? How about laying flat, with or without their 3rd row. Any other options that I've overlooked?

I too have never seen a spare mounted in a permanent position like that in a GX.
My suggestion would be, since you don't want the third row anyways is to take out the seats and start placing your spare in different locations to see how it looks and feels.
I don't think there's enough depth for the spare to sit flat without the need to build a platform to cover it, thus bringing the rear deck height up a wee bit. If you mount it on the drivers side which would be preferable for rear visibility, you'll block access to your jack and first aid kit. If you mount it on the passengers side you'll block the 110 volt outlet.
Whatever route you go, I'm sure you'll have to fabricate some sort of mount.
Humm. This is a conundrum. :meh:

K Dub - Seems a common "conundrum" on this board (and others) with GX owners - I'm not sure there is a perfect solution today.

I committed to a DIY 3rd row delete and very happy with this approach (starts #7) : GX460 3rd row removal - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx460-3rd-row-removal.810841/

I'm not ready to do full swing out bumper or JW Offroad carrier or Rigd/Wilco hitch yet. My favorite is probably the expedition one approach - but I'd like to see one in the field and hear about initial owner experiences...

So I have a working vertical interior tire solution now (255/70R18 on OEM wheel). The core is a yakima "Y" shaped tire carrier ratchet using the third row seatbelt mount (swapped to a D ring). With my DIY platform, I used aircraft track so able to attached to load points. The red strap is a secondary backup. There are rubber tire chocks - but those mainly just help me stabilize before the strap is tight. This is mounted driver's side, and I still have (tight) access to the factory jack.

Hope this sparks some ideas - and an even better solution!

1612834743547.png

Last edited:
I’ve considered running a spare inside as I’m not even remotely maxed on space I use and if a good option for me, like the Ronin Metal swing arm spare carrier, doesn’t come out soon, I’ve gotta find a better solution than just throwing it on the roof rack for trips.

If I get around to doing it, I’d build something similar to this setup, but probably higher sides. I plan to grab an ARB drawer RDRF945 for the cargo area and maybe a short RF945 for the other side with this mounted to it. I fit my 285/70R17 in vertically with the third row in and the RF945 is 5.5” tall OD, so should fit similarly tight as with the third row in place. Plus it has a roller top, which would bring the tire out nicely when needed.

A5F502CB-6088-4154-AEB6-FBDFC1ACAC8A.jpeg

Lots of talk in this forum about spare tires. I've searched, but haven't seen any discussion on this particular branch of the tree.

I just got a set of four Falken AT3W 265/70r17, and have a matching spare mounted on a narrower 17x7 steely coming later this week.
This size should fit fine in the stock location (I believe it is the biggest size that will fit without airing down the spare)

This size should fit fine in the stock location (I believe it is the biggest size that will fit without airing down the spare)
I don't think it'll fit with my (gigantic) factory tow package. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Falkens seem to run big anyway. Regardless, I'm not a fan of storing the spare underneath because the only time I'm likely to need it would be on a trail where I might not be able to lower it down. I'll try to cram it down there, but I'm not optimistic.

I’ve considered running a spare inside as I’m not even remotely maxed on space I use and if a good option for me, like the Ronin Metal swing arm spare carrier, doesn’t come out soon, I’ve gotta find a better solution than just throwing it on the roof rack for trips.

If I get around to doing it, I’d build something similar to this setup, but probably higher sides. I plan to grab an ARB drawer RDRF945 for the cargo area and maybe a short RF945 for the other side with this mounted to it. I fit my 285/70R17 in vertically with the third row in and the RF945 is 5.5” tall OD, so should fit similarly tight as with the third row in place. Plus it has a roller top, which would bring the tire out nicely when needed.

View attachment 2580183

This pic is of is an 80, which gives some excellent mounting points to work with thanks to the 3rd row attachment points. From what I've learned we don't really have anything solid to bolt into on the fender side of things, and the floor (at least with the 3rd row in place) is almost equally bad. I don't even like strapping down my go-box in the back, those "tie-downs" feel like they're made of Lego.

Here's a solution I like from the T4R forums toyota-4runner.org:

I0v2sTN.jpg

FYDSMHY.jpg

We've got grab handles and the aforementioned seat belt mount to work with up top, but nothing on the bulkhead and the floor is a DIY thing for us 3row suckers. Something like this built off of nw_fj62's most excellent floor would be just the ticket. I think it's the best looking solution I've seen so far.

Meanwhile...

My plot thickened this morning, as the wheel they'd set aside for me is a 5-lug. So now I'm in a bit of a pickle, and need to source another 17" wheel somehow before a trip next weekend. I've got a trailer I'm taking out to Death Valley, and planned on throwing my spare on top, but now I've got a 5th tire and no wheel to attach it to. I wasn't keen on dropping an extra $300 on a 5th Method wheel, but that may have been the best idea. Leave it to me to learn things the hard way.

I don't think it'll fit with my (gigantic) factory tow package. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Falkens seem to run big anyway. Regardless, I'm not a fan of storing the spare underneath because the only time I'm likely to need it would be on a trail where I might not be able to lower it down. I'll try to cram it down there, but I'm not optimistic.

This pic is of is an 80, which gives some excellent mounting points to work with thanks to the 3rd row attachment points. From what I've learned we don't really have anything solid to bolt into on the fender side of things, and the floor (at least with the 3rd row in place) is almost equally bad. I don't even like strapping down my go-box in the back, those "tie-downs" feel like they're made of Lego.

Here's a solution I like from the T4R forums toyota-4runner.org:

I0v2sTN.jpg

FYDSMHY.jpg

We've got grab handles and the aforementioned seat belt mount to work with up top, but nothing on the bulkhead and the floor is a DIY thing for us 3row suckers. Something like this built off of nw_fj62's most excellent floor would be just the ticket. I think it's the best looking solution I've seen so far.

Meanwhile...

My plot thickened this morning, as the wheel they'd set aside for me is a 5-lug. So now I'm in a bit of a pickle, and need to source another 17" wheel somehow before a trip next weekend. I've got a trailer I'm taking out to Death Valley, and planned on throwing my spare on top, but now I've got a 5th tire and no wheel to attach it to. I wasn't keen on dropping an extra $300 on a 5th Method wheel, but that may have been the best idea. Leave it to me to learn things the hard way.
If you could take the mount in your photo and add a plate with a couple of wheel studs, you wouldn't need any straps, just bolt it on!
The only design consideration would be to have the vertical plate with the horizontal wheel studs, have the ability to raise and lower to accommodate various tires sizes (diameters) and still rest the weight of the wheel on the deck, not suspended.

If you could take the mount in your photo and add a plate with a couple of wheel studs, you wouldn't need any straps, just bolt it on!
The only design consideration would be to have the vertical plate with the horizontal wheel studs, have the ability to raise and lower to accommodate various tires sizes (diameters) and still rest the weight of the wheel on the deck, not suspended.
You're speaking my language. I much prefer the idea of mounting to the lugs, or hub, and then using a strap as a backup. The tires on my XJ were much larger than OEM, resulting in the bracket sitting at a funny angle. It was still rock solid, but I suspect any taller and you'd have issues. You can see the angle of the attachment in this pic:

ACtC-3fasKiVr9aFl4v6RJpWW4-wUFhMqx39khmt8jYHxlsrNEG7mln035QcrC9vZybu5ncrX8v-5hoftzQPyeKClaDhHM2rz9A6FWr_kwqLS6ixL6XRlf-YQuVP-jLcaHeqDs7NKL_Q6ONDsiR3wTYk3iPv=w1325-h883-no

So if the 4Runner mount had a plate in the middle, with a vertical slot that my "hub mount" bar could slide up and down to accommodate various sizes, it would be just about perfect.

Here's a pic of a Bronco that looks like it has some vertical adjustment built in.

11-final-install-b.jpg

That plate, on the 4Runner's hoop, bolted to the floor and grab handles. Now we're in business.

BINGO!

I considered going this route a while back to be used in conjunction with a plate system after the third row seats are removed. I have my GG plate going in here in a few weeks so I'll readdress the situation shortly thereafter. That said, this is what I came across, it's made by a company in Amarillo, TX, I believe they wanted $350 bare metal but that was over a year ago and before metal prices soared. It takes up a lot of space in terms of width but it's a very solid option and encloses the spare fully although, I am not sure how important that is. They told me it is good for up to a 35x12.50 but I haven't confirmed whether or not that will in fact fit in terms of height but I expect it to. I have moved away from this option as we found that we prefer to sleep inside of the GX and this would take up far too much space needed for sleeping inside. These pics are obviously not in a GX460.

aFICqgC.jpg

8gk08Sm.jpg

Pinging a very old thread but I came across this online:

Definitely spendy but much less than a bumper setup, which I don’t want anyway. I want a durable tire mount for the interior of my 1998 LC. I don’t like the aesthetic of the big beefy bumpers for my LC and a prior owner removed all the underbody mounting hardware for the factory mount position. Further, my vehicle came with 5 brand new 200 series wheels (spare already mounted, four wheels still new in boxes ready to mount) and I‘d hate to get one all dingy by remounting it underneath. I’m an empty nester so I only need to haul a dog or Home Depot stuff on occasion so cargo capacity isn’t an issue. Long story short, I’m committed to an in-cabin tire mount.

Anyone here familiar with something like this that may be a bit more reasonably priced, or is this really the going rate for something like this? I’m only a few miles from Slee off-road in Golden so I’ll swing by there in case they have an option worth considering before I pull the trigger on this. I need to get wheel spacers anyway before going to the 200 series wheels.

Pinging a very old thread but I came across this online:

Definitely spendy but much less than a bumper setup, which I don’t want anyway. I want a durable tire mount for the interior of my 1998 LC. I don’t like the aesthetic of the big beefy bumpers for my LC and a prior owner removed all the underbody mounting hardware for the factory mount position. Further, my vehicle came with 5 brand new 200 series wheels (spare already mounted, four wheels still new in boxes ready to mount) and I‘d hate to get one all dingy by remounting it underneath. I’m an empty nester so I only need to haul a dog or Home Depot stuff on occasion so cargo capacity isn’t an issue. Long story short, I’m committed to an in-cabin tire mount.

Anyone here familiar with something like this that may be a bit more reasonably priced, or is this really the going rate for something like this? I’m only a few miles from Slee off-road in Golden so I’ll swing by there in case they have an option worth considering before I pull the trigger on this. I need to get wheel spacers anyway before going to the 200 series wheels.
Just as a friendly heads-up, you are on the GX460 forum, not the 100 series Landcruiser forum.
You may have more luck on their forum. Having had a couple of 100 series LC's (both 1998's) and now my GX, I know that the rear is different enough with how the third row seats fold and tie down points between both the LC and GX that you should probably look/ask on that forum.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I just wedge mine behind the back passenger seat and ratchet strap it to the tie down points and the grab handles. Not the best solution, but it doesn't move even on offroad trips due to the seat and is temporary until I have time to build the rear tire carrier. A 285/70/17 is about as big as you can go depth wise there.

IMG_7006.jpg

I just wedge mine behind the back passenger seat and ratchet strap it to the tie down points and the grab handles. Not the best solution, but it doesn't move even on offroad trips due to the seat and is temporary until I have time to build the rear tire carrier. A 285/70/17 is about as big as you can go depth wise there.

View attachment 3536783
I like this method. Even if only configured for expected offroad use it just seems convenient.

View attachment 3536783

Glad to see that works. I have a tendency to overthink things.

I didn't even remember starting this thread, but I went back over it and refreshed my memory. I ended up fitting an OEM FJ Cruiser wheel & tire in the stock location. It's not a matching Falken, but it's the same "size" tire at least. I've had to use it a couple of times now and it's fine in a pinch.

I'm also a lot less paranoid about those tie downs than I was back then. My crate of tools and recovery gear that comes with me on trips weighs about as much as a spare and I just strap it down and go. Given that shifting weight inside the crate is probably amplifying the force, I'd say those little loops are tougher than they look. I'd hate to someday find the upper limit though...

I had a 265/70/17 Falken in the spare location. It does fit, but just barely. Had to air it down to get it in/out. Unless your going to a larger tire I’d throw it under. (I have the beefy hitch too)
But I do like the vertical 3rd row mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom