deflating spare tire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those of you that had to deflate your spare to fit in the stock location, how did you make the light on the dash go out? is there a way to disable it?
The TPMS on GX's is for all 5 tires (as you know) and as such, there is not any way to drop one of the tires TPMS so it only reads 4 tires.
Although, you can take your spare and hide it somewhere far away enough so the signal isn't picked up by your vehicle and see if your dash light still reads that it's missing a tire/low pressure.
If it doesn't read the spare tire, you can just remove the TPMS sensor from the spare.

so you can just remove them?
The TPMS sensors are part of the valve stem inside the tire. It can be removed and a standard valve stem can be used.
The batteries last about 10 years. Mine lasted just about that long and had to replace them last year on my 2013 GX.

Deleting or changing the ID of the spare's pressure sensor in the ECU to an invalid ID would result in a "sensor not found" error instead of a tire pressure low error. Which may be less annoying. I have not tried it but I have messed around with techstream and used 3rd party programmers to change sensor IDs and I think its possible.

If the TPMS can't detect a sensor, the light will pop on. The only way to remedy is to hot wire the TPMS ECU. Depending on the model year of your GX, the box will either be in the rear driver side trunk panel, behind the storage bin (10-17), or in the headliner just left (to the driver's side) of the dome light (18-19). I can't confirm the 2020+ location. Either way, it's very simple and 100% reversable as long as you don't waste time soldering or cutting wires.

Here is a GXBob video on how to disable the 2010-2017. The video title says to 2019, but several of us pointed out that the location changed in 2018.

Here is a post I made (sort of) detailing how to do it on a 2018-2019 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom