Rotating Spare (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way if anyone is wondering what patch kit I'm referring to, it's not your bicycle patch kit.
Something like this: Amazon.com : tire patch kit - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tire+patch+kit&crid=2DS6WZ4E2YSAE&sprefix=tire+patch+kit%2Caps%2C167&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Doesn't cost much nor take up much space. If on a trail, can be used for side wall puncture if it's not too big of a gash, BUT only to get you to a road to call for tow truck or help. Don't drive on the road with a sidewall repair.
I have one of those versions (Boulder Tools I think???). They do indeed work great. With that and onboard air you can get through anything other than a major gash. Even if the patch isn't totally holding it can still be refilled every so often until you're back on the road. It would be a pretty extreme incident to have both the main tire and a spare out of commission (and be stranded) if you have onboard and and a patch kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
By the way if anyone is wondering what patch kit I'm referring to, it's not your bicycle patch kit.
Something like this: Amazon.com : tire patch kit - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tire+patch+kit&crid=2DS6WZ4E2YSAE&sprefix=tire+patch+kit%2Caps%2C167&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Doesn't cost much nor take up much space. If on a trail, can be used for side wall puncture if it's not too big of a gash, BUT only to get you to a road to call for tow truck or help. Don't drive on the road with a sidewall repair.

patch kit 2018.jpg

Hmm they have an 89 piece kit now

AC Viair.jpg

Ha now it comes with a bag, I carry mine in an old Army green tool bag. With extension air cord and air gauge. I have standardized on Rigid battery operated tools and also carry a Rigid inflator with a couple of batteries.

I have one of those versions (Boulder Tools I think???). They do indeed work great. With that and onboard air you can get through anything other than a major gash. Even if the patch isn't totally holding it can still be refilled every so often until you're back on the road. It would be a pretty extreme incident to have both the main tire and a spare out of commission (and be stranded) if you have onboard and and a patch kit.

There is a 3 page thread on carrying 2 spares over on Upland Journal that started last month. It is a site for those of us that travel all over North America chasing birds with dogs and tearing up our bodies. Some may think that we aren't sane, and some days I wonder.

At times even 2 spares aren't enough especially in Arizona chasing quail, Alaska or Montana.

50384574612_e59835348f_b.jpg

Moral of that story was he will never buy Hankook tires again. Removable hitch mount spare tire carrier is common besides the normal spare. That is Mt. Denali in the background picture courtesy of Keith Crowley.

5D3_2572-2-Copy.JPG.79443ac23896d01a2460dac1a9614c7a.JPG

Beautiful pics. Bucket list trip for sure! I've driven a bit of the Alaska Highway in the YT and would very much like to see more of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom