Rotating Spare (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing that hurt, I mean really hurt was when I changed tire sizes from the 285/75R17 BFG M/T's to 315/70R17 BFG A/T's.
I had a perfectly new, never used $400.00 spare tire I had to toss. I posted here, but unless I'm the type lucky enough to win the lottery (which I'm not) that someone on here has the EXACT tire and needs a spare or to replace a tire, I had to toss it.
Ouch....
I’m on 285/70R17s and torn on going up to 285/75R17 33.9”x11.2”

Someone on YouTube recently posted that the new KO3 285/70R17 measured 33.3” by 11.1” and that would be close to the size i want and it’s 3-ply sidewall and comes in c-rated at 57 lbs!

One thing that hurt, I mean really hurt was when I changed tire sizes from the 285/75R17 BFG M/T's to 315/70R17 BFG A/T's.
I had a perfectly new, never used $400.00 spare tire I had to toss. I posted here, but unless I'm the type lucky enough to win the lottery (which I'm not) that someone on here has the EXACT tire and needs a spare or to replace a tire, I had to toss it.
Ouch....
double ouch

Reactions: r2m
Since I bought my tires at America's Tire, and it's not far from my house, I have them rotate all 5 for free. Sit, sip coffee, cruise ih8mud. Win-win.

when the spare ages out it's got tread on it that didn't get used.
This.

Five tire = 20% more cost, 20% longer mileage

Four tire = 10%more cost (assuming you replace it every 2 sets), 0% more mileage.

Tires last 8-10years before the rubber is too degraded to safely drive on. When you get a flat, do you want your spare to be a 10 year old tire that might blow out?

Buying the matching rim is the only stinker, but it only happens on the first set.

Reactions: r2m
This.

Five tire = 20% more cost, 20% longer mileage

Four tire = 10%more cost (assuming you replace it every 2 sets), 0% more mileage.

Tires last 8-10years before the rubber is too degraded to safely drive on. When you get a flat, do you want your spare to be a 10 year old tire that might blow out?

Buying the matching rim is the only stinker, but it only happens on the first set.
Assuming the matching aftermarket tire and wheel combo costs $500 and just the spare replaced every 8 years (2nd set), investing the $500 that matching Tire/Wheel 5 would cost, at year 0, and getting an 8% return would net $925 at Year 8. In my case (using a cheaper $180 spare instead of a $300 normal tire), would leave one with $245 in additional earnings at Year 8. BTW I'm being half-serious with this, of course there are other costs for the initial cheap spare, more cost for 5-tire rotations, etc. Maybe someone can run some Monte Carlo simulations to look at all the other different scenarios and definitely prove which option might have the best change saving us $75 a year :).

TBH I'm not really seeing a compelling argument either way for 4-tire vs. 5-tire. Seems to be close to a wash for most of us financially and in overall reliability (closer tire diameters/tread depth when a spare is used, but an older and less reliable emergency tire). For me it simply boils down to reducing the effort in rotating the tires ever 5K but not having to mess with dropping the spare and throwing it into the mix.

Last edited:
You all don’t know what it means to be poor 😂
When I was young I had to by used tires two at at time 🤣
When I got a bit older I would buy three new tires that match the never used spare and pick the best one of the old fore and use it as a spare.
Now that I’m older and can afford what I want in life I do the standard 4 tire rotation.
But I think it’s a little over rated as on my diesel Dually you can’t rotate the tires without dismounting them.
At 40k miles they still looked good never been rotated.
At that point I replaced all 6 tires and left the spare where it was.
Only on mud !!

And you can find like new Jeep takeoffs on eBay or FB marketplace that are 255/75R17 for $60 for one. And FJ Steelie for another $60, so there’s ways to reduce the cost of your never rotate spare.

I’ll be looking for another like-new Jeep takeoff soon since my never used spare is now 12 years old. But I’m only going to pay $60 plus installation and balance.

Assuming the matching aftermarket tire and wheel combo costs $500 and just the spare replaced every 8 years (2nd set), investing the $500 that matching Tire/Wheel 5 would cost, at year 0, and getting an 8% return would net $925 at Year 8. In my case (using a cheaper $180 spare instead of a $300 normal tire), would leave one with $245 in additional earnings at Year 8. BTW I'm being half-serious with this, of course there are other costs for the initial cheap spare, more cost for 5-tire rotations, etc. Maybe someone can run some Monte Carlo simulations to look at all the other different scenarios and definitely prove which option might have the best change saving us $75 a year :).

TBH I'm not really seeing a compelling argument either way for 4-tire vs. 5-tire. Seems to be close to a wash for most of us financially and in overall reliability (closer tire diameters/tread depth when a spare is used, but an older and less reliable emergency tire). For me it simply boils down to reducing the effort in rotating the tires ever 5K but not having to mess with dropping the spare and throwing it into the mix.
I’m not going to run a Monte Carlo simulation, but just looking at costs…the 5-tire rotation has to have too many things work out perfectly to maximize the value of 5-tires and wheels.

Things that throw off the calculation:
1. You want bigger/different tires and your current 5-tires are not even half worn. Just ask @r2m
2. You start doing a 4-tire rotation due to convenience or issue with one tire.
3. You get a sidewall tear off-roading and you only have 30% thread left on all tires. And you want to upgrade to the new Falken AT4W or the new BFG KO3
4. You sell your rig with the tires less than half worn.

Anyways, 5-tire rotation has more risks that will impact the cost analysis.

But if you going for the looks, then you gotta have 5 wheels to show off that fifth wheel.

Last edited:
When I got a bit older I would buy three new tires that match the never used spare and pick the best one of the old fore and use it as a spare.
Now that I’m older and can afford what I want in life I do the standard 4 tire rotation.
But I think it’s a little over rated as on my diesel Dually you can’t rotate the tires without dismounting them.
Only on mud !!
Ha, I remember having to buy 2 back tires for my 1972 C10 when they were getting worn....then saving up a few more weeks working at the grocery store and getting the front pair. They were $64/ea for a very cheap-looking 215/75R15 - I don't think imported tires were a thing then :). One habit I picked up from my low income days was wrenching on my rig and now that I'm in the high-income bracket I have the luxury of making it a hobby :).

Without considering cost, I think there is some benefit to giving all your tires some time on the road. Manufacturer defects are rare these days but not impossible. Finding out that you have a belt separation or that you have developed a sidewall bulge a few miles after replacing a damaged tire with your (0 mile) spare isn't any fun.

I change out tires in all my vehicles a bit prematurely (~3yrs/45k mi) and camper (~3yrs/25k mi). A new set of (5) Falkens equates to about $40/mo over the three years I expect to get from them. If I lose one to damage when I am halfway into a set mileage or time wise, I'll replace them all. Considering that I am typically carrying my family and pulling our camper over long distances, the peace of mind and reduction of risk far outweighs the cost.

Without considering cost, I think there is some benefit to giving all your tires some time on the road. Manufacturer defects are rare these days but not impossible. Finding out that you have a belt separation or that you have developed a sidewall bulge a few miles after replacing a damaged tire with your (0 mile) spare isn't any fun.

I change out tires in all my vehicles a bit prematurely (~3yrs/45k mi) and camper (~3yrs/25k mi). A new set of (5) Falkens equates to about $40/mo over the three years I expect to get from them. If I lose one to damage when I am halfway into a set mileage or time wise, I'll replace them all. Considering that I am typically carrying my family and pulling our camper over long distances, the peace of mind and reduction of risk far outweighs the cost.
That's a good idea; I might throw my spare on and run it for a day the next time I have it pulled down for undercoating or some other reason. I ran my last one a once but haven't ran this one at all.

We also keep up on our tires being camper-pullers. I'll be replacing my Wildpeaks later this year at around ~45K even though they could probably go to the warranted ~55K. Same thing with camper tires - they'll get done sometime in early 2025 as they'll be 3 years old at that point. I'm pretty sure they are China bombs unfortunately.

There's a lot of irrational paranoia in this group.
It does remind me of the response I got when I suggested that Valvoline Max Life multi-vehicle ATF was an acceptable or even preferred alternative to Toyota WS transmission fluid over on the 100 series forum :). Us GX folks usually do seem a bit more chill.

It does remind me of the response I got when I suggested that Valvoline Max Life multi-vehicle ATF was an acceptable or even preferred alternative to Toyota WS transmission fluid over on the 100 series forum :). Us GX folks usually do seem a bit more chill.
Try suggesting drilling a hole in the floor pan to ease rear shock changes... (As if there aren't already a buncha holes in a 100 series floor pan) :rolleyes:

Same thing with camper tires - they'll get done sometime in early 2025 as they'll be 3 years old at that point. I'm pretty sure they are China bombs unfortunately.
Mine were Westlakes aged 3 years. I put Goodyear Endurance STs on the camper last May to include the spare. The prices weren't much different but I like the ride and flexibility to run higher pressure (up to 80psi) if our load requires.

Mine were Westlakes aged 3 years. I put Goodyear Endurance STs on the camper last May to include the spare. The prices weren't much different but I like the ride and flexibility to run higher pressure (up to 80psi) if our load requires.
I'll check those out when they get replaced and hopefully get something made in USA. The china bombs on it have actually been fine so far. I usually run them at 52 psi.

Dam near impossible to get a trailer tire that’s not made in China including the Goodyear endurance, they are the best trailer tire out there and I run them.
I always run the highest tire pressure stated on the sidewall of a trailer tire.
Heat kills a trailer tire low pressure causes heat.
It’s also good to check the speed rating of trailers tires. There often lower then one would expect.

Dam near impossible to get a trailer tire that’s not made in China including the Goodyear endurance, they are the best trailer tire out there and I run them.
I always run the highest tire pressure stated on the sidewall of a trailer tire.
Heat kills a trailer tire low pressure causes heat.
It’s also good to check the speed rating of trailers tires. There often lower then one would expect.
Too bad on the Goodyears, although the Tire Rack photo seems to indicate they are M-USA: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...75NR5END&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

My trailer is pretty light, 3K pounds dry and 4K at the absolute max. I've ran them at the 80 psi a couple times and it's way too high, making the trailer very bouncy and frankly kind of unsafe (in addition to throwing contents everywhere). The rig tows very stable and comfortable with 42 psi in the Lexus and 52 psi in the trailer and the tires don't get hot. 52 psi works out to ~64% of the rated 80 psi and my max applied to the tires load just happens to work out to ~64% of their rated load.

Only on mud !!

I never cared for the term poor. First 40 years of my life didn't have much money but had many riches that many other folks didn't have. When my second son was born the Ex told me we that made us eligible for WIC. Told her I had a job and as an E6 wasn't taking no damn food stamps. And didn't. Likely one reason I will keep working until 70, I'm making more money than I ever have in my life. There is something to be said for having access to money and a good income, but if I have to give it up been there and done that.

I'll check those out when they get replaced and hopefully get something made in USA. The china bombs on it have actually been fine so far. I usually run them at 52 psi.

Any trailer tire past 5 years is what we always called and I still call a Maypop. It may pop at anytime.

The Endurance is a great tire and one of the highest rated trailer tires. It is what I put on my trailer last summer when the OEM tires were 5 years old

53540314435_8c6ef9f430_b.jpg

Snow is melting a full month early this year and we MAY be in the clear until Fall. So next week will be pulling the trailer out and getting the buggy ready for sporting clays. And finally get a picture of the GX towing it. In half a year it will be time to switch it over for the dogs and hunting

52444842003_250b2fa164_b.jpg

Too bad on the Goodyears, although the Tire Rack photo seems to indicate they are M-USA: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...75NR5END&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

My trailer is pretty light, 3K pounds dry and 4K at the absolute max. I've ran them at the 80 psi a couple times and it's way too high, making the trailer very bouncy and frankly kind of unsafe (in addition to throwing contents everywhere). The rig tows very stable and comfortable with 42 psi in the Lexus and 52 psi in the trailer and the tires don't get hot. 52 psi works out to ~64% of the rated 80 psi and my max applied to the tires load just happens to work out to ~64% of their rated load.
The Goodyear endurance on my 10k rated trailer, have a 60 psi max tire pressure.
And that’s what I run them at with good results.

Seem like your way over rated on your tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom