Intercooler finally done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been researching the tools on the web, and the best site that I have found so far is the Not2Fast turbo calculator. The calculations appear to be valid, however I haven't dug through any of my old text books yet.

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

The site is fairly self-explanitory (sp?), and it's neat how it posts the particular point in question on the selected compressor map.

A 1HZ has it's torque peak at 2200 rpm, HP peak at 3800 Rpm, and a 4500 Rpm red-line. I've played with the numbers for all of those RPMs, and then went looking for a compressor that hit peak efficiency at 3000 RPM. It's looking like a T04B-S3 is pretty optimum for a 1HZ

It's a neat tool, but remember, Garbage in = Garbage out.

Jim

Last edited:
"Tomorrow I will take all the tubing apart again and scuff up the ends that the silicone connectors will be seated on to try and get better sealing. I used polished aluminum tubing in 2.5in dia. Stupid idea to use polished tubing with silicone connectors. Looks pretty though."

Are you running A/C on this truck too? Hard to see on that scale of photo. Just wondering if stacking all those additional cores in front of the radiator would cause other problems with cooling the motor.

spent the weekend fine tuning some things. One problem area is figuring out how to mount the waste gate control. Where I had it mounted in the pictures, it puts bend down to where it hooks up to the waste gate:frown: I think over time something will probably break. So, I was able to rotate the compressor housing down a little bit more after filing off some on the sqare bump(?) that's on what used to be the top side of the outlet tube. I filed it down some and was able to rotate the housing a little bit more to make more room for the mount for the waste gate controller. I also moved the mounting holes almost a .5in and was able to trim about .5in off of the bottom of the mount. So, altogether I was able to drop down the mounting braket maybe .5in. This put the other end of the rod at the middle of the waste gate arm. I also bent the rod a little bit. It still has a little bend from the waste gate controller, but I feel much better about it now, though still not a straight run. Still have problems with leaks in the system, will see this morning if anything got quieter.

As to cooling issues...my understanding is that while you are blocking a portion of the airflow into the radiator, the cooler air you are injecting into your engine via the intercooler provides a net (overall) cooling effect for the engine.

Can anybody confirm this?

Craig.

coldtaco said:
spent the weekend fine tuning some things. One problem area is figuring out how to mount the waste gate control. Where I had it mounted in the pictures, it puts bend down to where it hooks up to the waste gate:frown: I think over time something will probably break. So, I was able to rotate the compressor housing down a little bit more after filing off some on the sqare bump(?) that's on what used to be the top side of the outlet tube. I filed it down some and was able to rotate the housing a little bit more to make more room for the mount for the waste gate controller. I also moved the mounting holes almost a .5in and was able to trim about .5in off of the bottom of the mount. So, altogether I was able to drop down the mounting braket maybe .5in. This put the other end of the rod at the middle of the waste gate arm. I also bent the rod a little bit. It still has a little bend from the waste gate controller, but I feel much better about it now, though still not a straight run. Still have problems with leaks in the system, will see this morning if anything got quieter.

maybe is not a valid comparision but in my Porsche 944 Turbo with KKK K26/6 it's " rotated " from factory.

Update

Ok, time for an update:) I think I finally got all the connectors tight enough that no more problems of silicone connectors coming loose. I am thinking of having some sections of the intercooler plumbing welded together to eliminate some of the potential coming loose. Also, I see the valve cover vent as a potential problem. There is a bit of goo that goes into the intake and it is slowly covering the walls of the plumbing and I assume the interior of the intercooler which over time I am sure will gum up the intercooler. So, first I was going to try and build a oil/air seperator and after talking about this with a friend, he suggested to just vent it overboard. So I attached a long hose and have it running down the drivers side of the engine and past the frame and plugged the hole at the air intake tube. Be sure to make a provision for pressure relief in case the end of the hose freezes over for those of us living in the cold climates, I just cut a slit about a inch long in the hose which I think would open if enough pressure built up in the hose. Picture is of the hose from the valve cover.
intercool 017a.jpg

road trip report

Drove 1000mi round trip over christmas and wanted to report back. I drove about 58-60mph the whole way, roads where from clean to scraped snow/ice to slush to wet from rain and light rain on scraped snow/ice. All the best:frown: Drove from Fairbanks to Soldotna, AK, and back. Amazing what studded tires due for you:bounce: Anyway, my best mpg was about 25mpg on one leg with the rest coming in around 22mpg. The highest EGT I saw was about 700F. Unfortunately at the same time my water got up to about 170F, I still had a piece of cardboard covering half the radiator. So, pretty good, can't wait till we get #2 diesel again and turn the snorkle intake back facing front.

turn the snorkel facing the windsheild for best air flow pressure...
cheers and congrates

Wayne

Face it 90degrees to the windshield? I have it facing aft to prevent snow ingestion, even though we don't get too much snow, so what little we do get would probably not cause any problems packing the airfilter?
Anyway, also wanted to ask you if you know what is the max safe water temp for the 13B-T? Thanks.

from first hand experience, there is no corilation between the water temp and the exhaust temp. on a recent trip back from the mountains i was running 3/4 temp on the water gauge and at times only 800F on the EGT.
i have no idea what is the MAX water temp for a 13BT is but i would try and stay close to 88C if i had a choice.
cheers

coldtaco said:
Face it 90degrees to the windshield? I have it facing aft to prevent snow ingestion, even though we don't get too much snow

I've driven my snorkel in a hard snow.. On the way to moab in fact. I specifically popped the hood and checked the cleaner and it didn't have any moisture in it. There was some down the inside of the snorkel tube but that's about it. Not enough to make me turn it. The only time I do that is wheeling so it doesn't get ripped off. I usually have the precleaner on when wheeling though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom