Intake/ Exhaust Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Got to get a new one

2f 1 piece headers. The old one leaks bad out the exhaust and I'm dieseling. Whats a good replacement.

And don't tell me to search.:flipoff2: Unless this topic was covered in 03 cause the search function has a few issues.

And no specter stuff. I'm officially boycotting them for life.

I have had good luck with the ones off the shelf from napa. Of course I bought a new downey header like 3 years ago and haven't changed out their gasket yet either. Specters kevlar gasket sucks.

Yup, OEM or felpro. 1 Piece headers are tough. Consider double gasketing.

All the experts here seem to suggest doubling up gaskets if you have headers - and go OEM. 2nd the CDan plug - but sh&t from him - he's the best.

AndrewT

Have it resurfaced... & use 2 felpro & high temp silicone

All good advice, and I would only add: Retorque X as many times as it takes for it not to change, then still check it. This is not a 2f-specific problem although more of a problem with a 1 piece 6 cyl header than a side of a V8. The steel expands and contracts much differently than the cast iron. If you do retorque, you will be surprised how much it will change. Once the gasket is breached and the hot exhaust gasses have their way with it, you are into a redo.
Use OEM and/or FelPro(actually I used one of each and doubled mine) and check the torque.
J-M-O..FWIW...........my headers have never leaked and I learned it right here on MUD!

Ed

Trollhole said:
Got to get a new one
2f 1 piece headers. The old one leaks bad out the exhaust and I'm dieseling. Whats a good replacement.
Ya know, this is prolly in the archive if you'd searched:rolleyes:

The FelPro graflex manifold gasket is the best. If you get any other brand, it will be the same as the junk foil OEM gasket.

And don't tell me to search.:flipoff2:
Oh sorry:D

And no specter stuff. I'm officially boycotting them for life.
Cool, me too!
Let's start a club. The he-man overpriced, lying SOR haters club.:ban:

toddslater said:
Well...yes it was covered in 03....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=819&highlight=felpro

probably back in 02 as well.....

Sorry couldn't resist....well at least the search function seems to be back and working today :cheers:

Now how in the hell was I supposed to know to search for felpro? And the title of that post is "a simple question" Not very descriptive.

I saved this just incase someone thought someone would throw it back at me.

So:flipoff2:

untitled111.jpg

Anyway thanks for the link. And everyone elses response.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
Well I'm pissed. I just put in two stacked toyota gaskets and I still have the leaks in the same place. I even used copper sealant and it still leaks.:mad:

I guess new headers are in my future.

Mother Mary and Joseph :eek: Double G's and goo and it's still leaking. Pics or description of just exactly where the breach is occurring. But I think if the double G and goo failed that little bastage gotta be warped. When you get it off, put a straight edge across it....should confirm/coincide with the leak...get it machined flat and reinstall with double G and goo.

Will the FelPro gasket, which is listed by FelPro as being only for the 2F engine also fit an F engine?

rgentry said:
Will the FelPro gasket, which is listed by FelPro as being only for the 2F engine also fit an F engine?

Fit? Yes, it will "fit".

Will it work properly, being that it will not be centered on the intake and exhaust ports and allowed to move, as the fastners used for the F engine are 10mm diameter studs and the 2F are a 12mm diameter, I do not know....I have not ever tried it.

SOR only sells one 'kevlar' gasket for both engines....so it may work....

Good luck!

-Steve

Trollhole said:
Well I'm pissed. I even used copper sealant and it still leaks..

Copper sealant.....spray on, or silicone stuff?

Did you find a place to mill the flange?

Was good talking with you this morning bud...

:beer:

Poser said:
Copper sealant.....spray on, or silicone stuff?

Did you find a place to mill the flange?

Was good talking with you this morning bud...

silicon.

well I found the problem. when i broke 2 motor mounts wheeling. the engine was flailing around inside the engine compartment. it must have torqued the header. i should have known to check to make sure it was flat when i had it off. stupid me. i cut a couple of small wedges of metal a pounded them in between the 2 gaskets. will work until i can get one from marks off road.

i also managed to cut my finger and burn 3 others in the process. so i'm typing with one hand [so no caps]

thanks everyone for input.

steve thanks for the ideas this morning.

Sorry to hear about your hand pal....

Post up how the new one works!

sor's kevlar gasket didn't work for me...

although the gasket is supplied with the 2 piece header, it wasn't port matched.

trimming is needed for a proper fit.....

I threw mine in the trash and got a nice metal one from tpi4x4.com

http://www.tpi4x4.com/05-lcHeaders.html

It lines up PERFECTLY, and is THICK too...... .$23.80

waiting on carb rebuild to try it out
DSC07566.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom