Installing old man emu front shackles on my 84 Toyota pickup 4x4 I need HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone I’m new here, Yesterday I attempted to install new pair of old man emu FRONT leaf springs with a 0-2 inch lift on my 1984 pickup 4x4 I took the old leaf spring off the driver side and attempted to put the new leaf spring on but the new one has so much flex!/arched Compared to the super flat old springs I took out. I cannot put the new leaf springs on to save my life! Any tips? I’m using the stock shackles, should I have 2 other people help me try to flex it as low as they can to put one end in first? Or do I have to buy new shackles to make the fit?? I should mention also I purchased the heavy springs for the rear for the truck that provided a 2.25 inch lift should I have purchased new shackles? I should also mention the stock front shackles are pointing towards the back of the truck when the truck is on the ground parked if that helps answer anything. Thanks for the help!

Do you have the passenger side down in full drupe?
It can help to disconnect the u-bolts on the opposite side so the axle can drop down more.
Do you still have the sway bar connected?

I just saw this is your first post. Welcome to our slice of MUD. Stick around awhile. Lots to learn.

Oh, and where are my manners … :flipoff2: <- official MUD salute.

Can you post a picture of how you have the truck lifted when trying to install the leaf springs? It shouldn't be fighting you that much.

Can you post a picture of how you have the truck lifted when trying to install the leaf springs? It shouldn't be fighting you that much.

I ended up putting the old leaf back and parking it back in the garage last night. I’m going to try again tomorrow morning if it doesn’t rain. once I have it back off I’ll post pictures to see if you guys can help. Do you think I need to get the old man emu shackles? Or I’m ok using the stock ones?

Do you have the passenger side down in full drupe?
It can help to disconnect the u-bolts on the opposite side so the axle can drop down more.
Do you still have the sway bar connected?

hello I think I do have it all the way dropped. I lifted the truck then put stands on the frame to hold it up. I’ll try again tomorrow. And to your point I have not disconnected the sway bar and I’ll disconnect the Passenger u bolts also. I keep asking this question do you think I need to buy new shackles ? Or I’m fine using the stock ones? Thank you

Shackle is personal choice. Its likely going to add lift.
I personally like something other than stock, for strength and ease of use.
Build something if need be.

Might be the time to replace the shackle bushings as well. It's one of those "while I'm in here" things. Doing my rears I had to have both sides apart and dropped to do anything.

maybe I should mention my main issue, I am having trouble putting the new leaf springs on the shackles it’s too curved/arched for me to push/ bend it down to fit in the shackle.

maybe I should mention my main issue, I am having trouble putting the new leaf springs on the shackles it’s too curved/arched for me to push/ bend it down to fit in the shackle.

Lowering the axle will give you more room.

Do you still have the torque arm connected? You should definitely take off the swaybar.

You also said your shackles were “all the way to the rear”. Is the spring in front of the shackle or behind? In the past I’ve had springs be too far forward (too “short”) to fit, so attach the frame side, and then slowly lower the weight of the truck down let the spring contact the frame, and it will flex the spring making it longer. I put a piece of wood between the spring eye and the frame to let it slide easier.

I hope this makes sense.

Another thought: Is the actual OME number still painted on the spring? You might want to check that they sent you the correct springs.

Yeah, like @joseywales said, typically the problem is that the arch of the spring makes it too short to reach the shackle when it's relaxed and no weight on it. I've had to gently put some force on the bottom of the spring (using a floor jack) to "flatten" them out some, so they reach. But if you are saying they are too long, then I am thinking they are the wrong springs.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and comments! She is all done! Front and back springs! Don’t mind she’s dirty haven’t washed her in months
6717A29C-AD44-4C98-A948-7DB3BA327ABA.jpeg

Looks great!

Nice truck! Glad we could help!

OK, now that is taken care of, tell us about the truck, and include lots of pictures. And welcome to MUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom