Installing and testing the Grom Vline2 Android Infotainment System to get Apple CarPlay (Updating) (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the Grom Vline lite that works intermittently. I've had zero luck getting ahold of Grom technical support through their email system. Am I SOL? Anyone trouble shoot these themselves with success?
If you message them using the chat tool on their website when it says support online, they pick up right away and troubleshoot in real time. Check it periodically during Texas business hours

Isn’t that the definition of “doesn’t work”?
Lol is it? His backup camera and everything else works, but the nav unit defaults to factory maps after shifting from reverse to drive. It's an inherent behavior of certain Toyota/Lexus nav units. It stays on the audio input the Grom is on the whole time, so whatever you're listening to in CarPlay or Android doesn't get interrupted, you just need to hit audio to see the nav app you're using again.

If you message them using the chat tool on their website when it says support online, they pick up right away and troubleshoot in real time. Check it periodically during Texas business hours
I'll give it a shot. Didn't even realize they had this option. Thanks!

I've had a mixed experience....when it works it's a ton better than just factory. Up until the most recent FW update I was getting really bad intermittent issues with camera not working, reverting to factory stereo etc...the most recent FW seems to be working better so far.

My main persistent issue is for the 10 LX using android auto whenever you try and make a phone call it reverts to the factory stereo which is useless.

Waiting on my unit to ship.
noticed there is an HDMI out port.
has anyone tried to hook that up to display in the back? I would think you could just use the DVD out wiring and replace it so that the rear screens think the signal is coming from h DVD player but it’s coming from the grom?
I had heard they were working on it but wondering if anyone has just gone ahead and tried?

Got a reply from Grom.
this is another reason that seems to set this company apart from the others is they seem to have an eye on the future and are updating their system including bugs as well as making it better.
They updated the software to fix the cameras
Updated the system to include wireless carplay
Now possibly the hdmi out.

FROM GROM:
The HDMI In can be used for any HDMI source in. So it would work with the Outside Media Player.
The HDMI Out is currently not functional. We added it hardware wise so it would be in place when we update to Android 10 and are able to use it.

We currently run Android 8.1 which does not handle multiple displays well. If you plan to use the HDMI Out, you can run the connections for it. So when it's released with Android 10, you'll already be wired up for it.

BTW I don’t work for them and am currently waiting for my unit to ship. I might prewire it up as they suggested above.

Got a reply from Grom.
this is another reason that seems to set this company apart from the others is they seem to have an eye on the future and are updating their system including bugs as well as making it better.
They updated the software to fix the cameras
Updated the system to include wireless carplay
Now possibly the hdmi out.

FROM GROM:
The HDMI In can be used for any HDMI source in. So it would work with the Outside Media Player.
The HDMI Out is currently not functional. We added it hardware wise so it would be in place when we update to Android 10 and are able to use it.

We currently run Android 8.1 which does not handle multiple displays well. If you plan to use the HDMI Out, you can run the connections for it. So when it's released with Android 10, you'll already be wired up for it.

BTW I don’t work for them and am currently waiting for my unit to ship. I might prewire it up as they suggested above.

I read that as they will eventually have an Android 10 version available for sale, but I would not necessarily expect that an Android 10 update will happen over wifi. At least not at zero cost. If they do release an Android 10 version for update over wifi at zero cost, that would certainly differentiate them.

Successful install in a 2021 LC. No issues getting the dash apart and all factory features function w/o issue. I haven’t had any issues with wireless CarPlay yet - fingers crossed they worked out the kinks of the intermittent issues I experienced with my 08.

Successful install in a 2021 LC. No issues getting the dash apart and all factory features function w/o issue. I haven’t had any issues with wireless CarPlay yet - fingers crossed they worked out the kinks of the intermittent issues I experienced with my 08.
Have you had any issues with the screen going blank intermittently? I installed in my 2021 and they said this was a known issue that would be fixed with a firmware update…

I had some flickering issues when I first installed but a firmware update fixed those, no other issues so far 🤞🏼

Have you had any issues with the screen going blank intermittently? I installed in my 2021 and they said this was a known issue that would be fixed with a firmware update…

FYI latest update added Wireless Android Auto- definitely appreciate the continued development.

There is a Facebook group too that gets interesting to see installs in other vehicles and what others have used for controls (air mouse etc). Also quite a few folks running different launchers for the main screen etc.

Did you connect the 16 pin or no?

Is there a video for this install? 2016+

Okay folks. After sitting on the shelf for almost a year, I'm going to install my grom 🤞. Mostly because I already have the dash apart installing my switch-pro panel. Where are you all mounting the head unit? Doesn't seem like much space in the glove box. I was thinking of mounting it under the glove box on the kick panel for easy access.

Okay folks. After sitting on the shelf for almost a year, I'm going to install my grom 🤞. Mostly because I already have the dash apart installing my switch-pro panel. Where are you all mounting the head unit? Doesn't seem like much space in the glove box. I was thinking of mounting it under the glove box on the kick panel for easy access.
The GROM is a love hate relationship mainly because you'll see how close to perfect it is. , But those close pieces will make you pull your hair out. That said, I'd recommend making it accessible to pull the power cord when needed (not that often but it happens)

Mine is still loose in the glove box- I ended up drilling holes in the glove box and then getting some rubber grommets to route the cables through.

I mounted it directly behind the factory nav screen. You don’t need to pull the power cord if you are willing to disconnect your battery to accomplish the same thing. I have not needed to do that in a long time. It’s tight but it fits behind the OEM screen/head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom