Installing 90's 4runner dash in FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone has swapped in a newer dash into an older cruiser? I have a dash from a '95 4Runner I amthinking of swapping into my FJ55 so I can actually have a defroster and A/C.

I was hoping someone has done this swap or something similar and might have some pointers and ideas. I have closeto 20 years metal fab experience and a fab shop at my disposal so I am not too worried about making brackets and stuff.

Thanks for any input

Howdy! I have seen a lot of custom dashes built up for the Piggies, but never a direct transplant. Doesn't mean it can't be done. The FJ55 already has a defroster setup, but all of the A/C have the ducting below the dash instead of out thru it up high like most other rigs. Post up lots of pix if you proceed with this idea. Good Luck. John

I am getting the shop ready to pull it in and give it a whirl. I am up in the Seattle area and with the constant high humidity the poor little stock defroster just has a hard time keeping up. I will try and document the swap. I am going to install the 4runner steering column as well. Thanks for the input.

something like this.....RAV4 dash into a BJ40
dash.jpg
58757_117848144936425_100001337197533_114868_1658638_n.jpg

Hey thanks for posting those pics. I am hoping mine goes smoothly. It looks like yours came that way. Any real headaches in the swap? Thanks

it is a firend of mine, he had to cut about 30cm out of the dash, then had it recovered but besides that was pretty straight forward

Anyone ever take the measurements for an 80 dash? I have been thinking for a long time that would be almost a direct swap but that was just eyeballing it.

Howdy! I've got one of each, and I think the 80 is a wee bit wider inside. I'll try to drag out a tape tomorrow. John

It started snowing here so I haven't gotten to work on mine yet. I think there will be some mods to be made, but nothing too major. I haven't thought about a later FJ dash because the 4runner one was easy to come by.

Thanks for the input.

My 55 dash looks to be about 55 inches wide, from A pillar to A pillar along the top.
80 dash looks to be about 57 or 58 inches, harder to measure 'cause of the gauge cluster hump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom