installing 4 inch lift questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
before i start or even order my lift just a couple quick questions. i heard you have to lengthen the driveshafts???? do you put spacers in between where the driveshaft bolts onto the diff? how much shim do you put in? and if i don't do this i heard i can get a vibration is this correct? also i heard you have to lengthen the brake lines. do you just replace all the brakelines or just lengthen a certain section. the LC isn't at my place now it is at my parents in winter storage. sorry for asking the noob questions but i am just confirming everything before i throw the lift in. btw i am gonna go with the rough country lift as i just had a kid and funds aren't as high as i would like.

before i start or even order my lift just a couple quick questions. i heard you have to lengthen the driveshafts???? do you put spacers in between where the driveshaft bolts onto the diff? how much shim do you put in? and if i don't do this i heard i can get a vibration is this correct? also i heard you have to lengthen the brake lines. do you just replace all the brakelines or just lengthen a certain section. the LC isn't at my place now it is at my parents in winter storage. sorry for asking the noob questions but i am just confirming everything before i throw the lift in. btw i am gonna go with the rough country lift as i just had a kid and funds aren't as high as i would like.

1. Lengthen driveline - it depends. On mine, I added a 4" lift and had enough to work with. So I didn't lengthen mine. I've heard where others have had to lengthen, so I guess it just depends on your setup. To lengthen it, you would take it to a driveline shop and have them do it for you.

2. Brake lines - yes, you will need longer brake lines. I bought some new braided stainless steel lines that you can get from just about any cruiser shop - like these - http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/StainlessSteelBraidedDOTBrakeLines.htm. You will need 2 for the front and 1 in back.

edit: I just saw that you have a 64. You will most likely have to update to the 10 mm brake fittings. You will probably have 9 mm right now unless someone has updated them. That means that you will have to update all your brake lines. D'oh!

Good luck with the lift. Don't forget to search lifts on here. There is a lot of info on Hell Creek, Downey and TPI's smokey mountain lift, both of which are fairly inexpensive.

Good luck! :cheers:

Last edited:
thanks for the response. just a question to that, why would i have to update to a 10 mm? i have no problem with it just curious. and i will have to tear into it and take them off and see what i come up with. and will deffinately have to look around at lift kits but i do need one as my suspension is totally sacked out and it is like riding a lumber wagon. and rough country was the cheapest i found by a couple hundred dollars. and should i use the bushings that come with the lift kit or go with poly aftermarkets or maybe they are poly.

Your model should have the 9mm fittings at the frame and 11mm at the front backing plates and rear T fitting. We have the 9mm and 11mm hoses, but if you mangle your stuff getting it off, we can make up any combination of 9, 10, or 11mm hoses for you to convert to?????
Good luck with your build bud!!!

Last edited:
thanks downey, i have your website saved in my favorites already :) i'm sure you guys will get an order from me this summer. and do i use the stock shackles with the lift kit as the rough country one doesn't come with aftermarket. and i do like the looks of the tpi lift and it isn't that much more.

the guys in Albany Oregon did mine...

they added about 2" to the drive lines, and it was a 6 inch lift.

DS

I had to have mine done, in addition to the lift I had changed to a 79 2f and 4 speed in my 71.

The metric pipe may or may not be available, in my case I was able to get it. If not then they can machine the ends to take standard sized pipe.

it can be expensive it was 135 each for the shafts someone suggested to me to look around for a longer shaft that would fit maybe a good idea but I am on a schedule

fj hunter

Could you please give me the name and address of the place in Albany that did your drivelines? I could sure use that info when I finally get to that point. Maybe PM me also in addition to posting it up here for others who might be able to use it.

Thanks!
Don

thanks downey, i have your website saved in my favorites already :) i'm sure you guys will get an order from me this summer. and do i use the stock shackles with the lift kit as the rough country one doesn't come with aftermarket. and i do like the looks of the tpi lift and it isn't that much more.
Yep, alot of guys use longer shackles with 2.5" and 4" lift springs. Just make sure your shocks are long enough, and your brake lines. We always made 1" and 2" longer heavy duty shackles. We now make some stock length heavy duties (not on website yet) if you need shackles but don't want longer shackles???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom